Why don't any ships stop here?

matj2000

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The island IS beautiful. Tourism accounts for only for 9% of GDP and most of tourist comes from Europe (mainly France). The economy is well developped (Martinique is a French dept.) and as such the cruise industry do not have an economic or social impact it may have on other island. Language and currency barrier also do not help. They may seems rude (but they're not) at time but it is just that cruiser are no more special to them that a Frenchman renting a bungalow for a couple of week. We travelled a few time in France and it is part of their culture. You get used to it :D

That being said, St-Pierre and the volcano would make a good visit (unless the volcano is hidden by clouds) and Les Jardins de Balata is very good also.

Edited by dandee2

• 2 months later...

Just read BJ's comment and am flabbergasted? Seriously, was this post-911?

Also, to the person who asked why would cruisers want to go to Martinique if everyone is so rude? Didn't you read all the other comments of people saying that perhaps it wasn't the hosts who were rude, but perhaps it was the visitors?

Also, to the person who asked why would cruisers want to go to Martinique if everyone is so rude? Didn't you read all the other comments of people saying that perhaps it wasn't the hosts who were rude, but perhaps it was the visitors?

My thoughts exactly!

• 2 weeks later...

1994 ... when a US citizen could visit just about anyplace us in the Carib' (or Central America) on a birth certificate and a voter registration card. We'd been active Carib' cruisers for over 10 years by this time and had not yet needed a passport.

I worked on Coast Guard cutters 10 years on and off 'tween 78 and 99 in the Carib' and we pulled R&R stops in MANY of the islands. Was never too Martin' in that capacity ... not aware of any CG Cutter of the size I worked that did, but maybe the smaller ones; we weren't told we could not go, but there were enuf other places ASKING for our visits that, well, why bother? The French had a patrol boat there and liked to be left alone altho we did once find ourselves pier-mates in Tortola in 99 and they invited me over to their ship for a reception .... I don't believe they visited other islands for R&R very often so they were entertaining local authorities on a rare occasion.

• 3 months later...

I've been to Martinique and to Paris. The people like you to make some effort to speak French. Then they fall all over you with kindness.

We're going back and want to know if anyone knows anything about this:

a little island called trois islets is a short ferry ride away. It's like a little French (which I can still apparently speak in a funny kind of way) Martha's Vineyard.

• 2 weeks later...

We just came back from a cruise on the Jewel that included a stop in Martinique. We had found very little information prior to going, so I had a small list of things to see from Trip Advisor and we were going to get off the boat and see what else there is to do.

Getting a taxi is very difficult. There is a section for local taxis that you are not permitted to use. This is very large and easy to see as you get off the boat. There is a very small gated parking lot that is for private drivers. The rate is 60 euros per hour plus tip. This is a government set rate. Our driver was nice, but not very talkative. He was the only English speaking driver there that morning, there may be others I don't really know. I think his name was Marcus, he drives a white mercedes. He will take you anywhere you want or he can recommend a driving tour. Be sure to take something for the roads, bonine or Dramamine.