Fuel supplements will be charged and will only be refunded as OBC

kimberley

Hi Bex :D

Did you get that in writing ? ;)

So let me get this right...they (RCCL UK) told you today that you will get £200 OBC as your fuel supplement rebate? Heck I hope you got the person's name if that is what they said.

no it was our TA - I phoned to ask why we had been sent another invoice and that was what she told me, I must admit I did laugh at her. We dont sail until dec so it didnt really bother me at the time.

I've mentioned this elsewhere so my apologies for repeating myself but it's clear there's a right hand left hand thing going on here. I paid my balance to the TA beginning of the month; forgot to ask for the fuel surcharge to be removed. Subsequently spoke to TA and instead of having the OBC I asked for the gratuities amount to be taken and just have the balance refunded to my CC. There was one call to RCCL by the TA and one back to me to confirm. I have confirmation docs to that effect and my card has been credited. I was rather loath to pay my gratuities up front but due to the way the £ is going I felt it would save a few pennies for the slots.

Liz - off topic - when is the final day TAs have to pay the balance to RCCL? I still can't print off my setsail pass......

We made the final payment for our Feb. 2009 Independence of the Seas cruise a couple of weeks ago, including the fuel surcharge A couple of days later, there was a credit on my AMEX credit card for $80, which was the amount of the fuel surcharge.

I've mentioned this elsewhere so my apologies for repeating myself but it's clear there's a right hand left hand thing going on here. I paid my balance to the TA beginning of the month; forgot to ask for the fuel surcharge to be removed. Subsequently spoke to TA and instead of having the OBC I asked for the gratuities amount to be taken and just have the balance refunded to my CC. There was one call to RCCL by the TA and one back to me to confirm. I have confirmation docs to that effect and my card has been credited. I was rather loath to pay my gratuities up front but due to the way the £ is going I felt it would save a few pennies for the slots.

Liz - off topic - when is the final day TAs have to pay the balance to RCCL? I still can't print off my setsail pass......

As far as I know with regard to final payment, the latest is 56 days before sailing.

With regard your Fuel supplement rebate, if I remember correctly you spoke to your TA before this new rule came into being?

no it was our TA - I phoned to ask why we had been sent another invoice and that was what she told me, I must admit I did laugh at her. We dont sail until dec so it didnt really bother me at the time.

I think you might find that your £200 has to do with special offers on in the UK on some sailings booked by certain date and nothing to do with the Fuel supplement rebate.

As far as I know with regard to final payment, the latest is 56 days before sailing.

With regard your Fuel supplement rebate, if I remember correctly you spoke to your TA before this new rule came into being?

Don't think so.... 18th December is what I have on the refund slip and is the date it was arranged.... I'm sure the fuel tax refund offer was made long before then..... remember discussing it at the time on the British Cruiser Questions thread on this board....

Don't think so.... 18th December is what I have on the refund slip and is the date it was arranged.... I'm sure the fuel tax refund offer was made long before then..... remember discussing it at the time on the British Cruiser Questions thread on this board....

The meeting with regard to the change of how fuel supplement would be paid happened on the Friday 19th and we first heard about it on the Saturday 20th Dec.

Ah..... okidoke. Thanks for putting me straight. :)

Hey no worries :D

I cheated and had to go check my email files for the dates :o I was so surprised to get an email on a sunday from a RCCL UK Executive with regard my questions about the change in the rule regarding the fuel supplement :eek: Last time I had heard from her was when she phoned me one night and I nearly choked on the phone when I realised who it was :eek::D

Hey no worries :D

I cheated and had to go check my email files for the dates :o I was so surprised to get an email on a sunday from a RCCL UK Executive with regard my questions about the change in the rule regarding the fuel supplement :eek: Last time I had heard from her was when she phoned me one night and I nearly choked on the phone when I realised who it was :eek::D

Well I'm currently getting a little bit jittery about final payment being made by my TA.... will call them on Monday if I still can't print off my setsail pass....

Well I'm currently getting a little bit jittery about final payment being made by my TA.... will call them on Monday if I still can't print off my setsail pass....

This might sound duh..forgive me...but did you scroll through the terms and conditions and tick box to say you had read them? I have heard before from cruisers that they couldnt print off their setsail until they did this.

This might sound duh..forgive me...but did you scroll through the terms and conditions and tick box to say you had read them? I have heard before from cruisers that they couldnt print off their setsail until they did this.

Don't worry about putting me straight..... I have enough problems trying to differentiate betwen trolls on this board to concern myself about whether I'm doing this right or wrong!!

All the boxes are ticked for both of us as complete. On the bit where you would normally get to print off the pass it says :

SetSail Pass

You're almost finished with the Online Check-in process! At this time, your SetSail Pass is not ready to be printed. Please verify that you have completed the required fields in each section and confirm with your Travel Agent or Certified Vacation Planner that your reservation has been finalized.

No problem with me for on OBC since we will be buying protraits which if the same as last year cost 19.95. Also I am sure my DH can find something around the onboard stores :p

16 days until we leave on the Navigator, so badly need to leave this Michigan weather.

No problem with me for on OBC since we will be buying protraits which if the same as last year cost 19.95. Also I am sure my DH can find something around the onboard stores :p

16 days until we leave on the Navigator, so badly need to leave this Michigan weather.

But you are in the US ..you dont have to deal with rate of exchange etc,the change of rule only applies to UK Cruisers.

Just spoke to RCCL re refund of fuel charges and they still seem to be unsure of whether it will be deducted from final balence or paid as OBC. Seems a decision is due to be made by early next week.

I expressed my feelings on the matter stating all reasons previously mentioned on this board and also sent an e-mail with same comments.

I think the more people who complain about the money having to be paid with final balance and then refunded 3 months later at a poor exchange rate into dollars as OBC the better.

If you unhappy about this - let them know before a final decision is made!!

Just spoke to RCCL re refund of fuel charges and they still seem to be unsure of whether it will be deducted from final balence or paid as OBC. Seems a decision is due to be made by early next week.

I expressed my feelings on the matter stating all reasons previously mentioned on this board and also sent an e-mail with same comments.

I think the more people who complain about the money having to be paid with final balance and then refunded 3 months later at a poor exchange rate into dollars as OBC the better.

If you unhappy about this - let them know before a final decision is made!!

My e-mail is winging it's way as I type......

All this and now the latest report that on board credit must be used up on board or lost. I can understand that OBC's given for next bookings, shareholder benefits, discount coupons etc must be used up on board or lost. However I feel that RCL do not have the right to charge us a fuel supplement, which they will then refund as an OBC, probably ripping us off on the exchange rate in the process and then if we don't spend it/use it on board the money will not be refunded.

In some ways this is hyperthetical as my on board account will certainly be more than my OBC even including the fuel surcharge, however the principle of the matter is that the fuel surcharge is my money and we should all insist that it is refunded.

Gill

The lady I spoke to this morning did say if the OBC was not spent it would be converted into sterling and refunded to your credit card but not sure how much of your £70 will be left after 2 currency exchanges plus loss of interest!

The lady I spoke to this morning did say if the OBC was not spent it would be converted into sterling and refunded to your credit card but not sure how much of your £70 will be left after 2 currency exchanges plus loss of interest!

There is a big chance the lady you spoke to this morning wasnt aware of the changes in OBC rule, "Use it or lose it" :(

Archived