Immunization

kenrod

We are booked for a cruise to the Western Caribbean in February. Destinations include Cozumel, Belize and Roatan.

Is there any special immunization or medical precautions that are required for any of these ports of call?

We are already covered for Hepatitis A & B.

I have read in some of the threads that some passengers who took shore excursions to the Mayan ruins recommend to bring bug spray. Would that be sufficient, or are malaria pills also recommended?

We never even needed bug spray!

This cruise we are doing the zip line at St. Lucia. I found a tiny bottle of deep woods Off with deet. It is tiny, plastic, and will safely travel.

I am hoping I don't need it.

As for immunizations.... not needed. If you were living with the locals, in a place with no indoor plumbing, and eating local food and drink every day... then maybe.

I went to Bolivia and Peru for a summer, and was required to take malaria pills and get shots for yellow fever, and a whole bunch of other things. I was living in the middle of a third world country and ended up throwing away the pills after the 2nd day. I never saw a mosquito and the pills made me sick. It was way less than adequate conditions, but I survived.

Cruising offers way better conditions than what I experienced.

Don't worry about it!

We've never had vaccinations, beyond the normal ones, like keeping our tetnus, etc. up to date, for Caribbean travel either, though we have when traveling to Africa. We've been to all the places you mentioned and really haven't seen a mosquito or any significant bugs. I bring a very small bottle of insect repellant, as another poster mentioned, along on all my cruises and put it in my tote that I take on shore, but I've never used it.

Unless you are going to be there in the evening, when mosquitoes come out, or into really, really deep jungle or swamp, vaccinations and malarial pills are probably not needed, but if you're unsure, contact your doctor.

As far as insect repellant goes, I simply take some Bounce sheets with me.

Then when I'm getting ready to get off the ship for an excursion I merely tie one of the Bounce sheets to a belt loop and have never had a problem.

If you're extraordinarily attractive to mosquitos, like I am :rolleyes:, you'll not only want to bring a bottle/can of insect spray with a high DEET level, but use it and have someone else spray the areas you're not able to reach.

Even though I sprayed myself with three different insect sprays, I still got bit 6 times on the back of my arms - the areas I missed :(.

Also, beware of fire ants if you're walking in the jungle areas. Several people on our Belize excursion wore sandals and no socks - hubby was one of them - and they got bit. Spraying feet and shoes helped...but, afterward, the people didn't stay in one place long once the call of ants was called, just in case :D.

The western Caribbean is a wonderful itinerary and you're sure to have a great time!

Archived