Help..Outerwear for Alaska

Beachgator

Does anyone have any suggestions on Outerwear/Coats/Rain gear for Alaska? We are planning our first trip to Alaska for May 2009 and the temps based on our research should range between 38-60??? We were looking at some year end sales from the likes of LL Bean etc. but were uncertain what Outerwear provides the best functionality. Being from Florida, we're somewhat in the dark about practical wear in the cold country. Thanks to all in advance for your input.:confused:

My outer layer was a rain proof jacket with a hood from Lands End. My inlaws got theirs from L L Bean. They are all similar.

I also had a fleece jacket and a sweatshirt to fit under the rain jacket plus I wore a tshirt under those.

What everyone says about taking layers is exactly correct.

Another thing I learned here that worked great on the one day we were out in the rain for a little while was to waterproof our jeans with spray. Worked great.

• Administrators
Does anyone have any suggestions on Outerwear/Coats/Rain gear for Alaska? We are planning our first trip to Alaska for May 2009 and the temps based on our research should range between 38-60??? We were looking at some year end sales from the likes of LL Bean etc. but were uncertain what Outerwear provides the best functionality. Being from Florida, we're somewhat in the dark about practical wear in the cold country. Thanks to all in advance for your input.:confused:

3-in-1's are also a good option, especially at clearance time. They have a warm inner layer, a waterproof outerlayer, and when you put them together you can wear both. That covers lots of choices. Layers are key, and having something which is a waterPROOF (not resistant) outer layer is the last essential. You might want to take thermal undies (cuddleduds, etc) as well -- I only used mine one day (Glacier Bay with a temp in the mid 40's) but my SO wore his thermal underwear pretty much every day underneath his other layers.

I definitely recommend an outer jacket layer that is waterproof....and preferably of breathable waterproof fabric. Fleece is nice and toasty for another layer. I wore silk underwear, fleece pants and windpants when I was out on deck, which was basically everyday. And I live in Michigan where the winters can be cold. However, I like to be comfortable, and I was. Although my DH also wore a waterproof jacket with a fleece lining, he only wore jeans. He did have some old waterproof vinyl type pants that he brought along in his backpack just in case, but we never had downpours..just the misty kind of rain. He was fine in jeans, I would not have been. I would have been too cold.

Eddie Bauer, LL Bean and Land's End all have "gore-tex" or similar waterproof jackets or parkas. I would really recommend parka length to help keep your bum warmer. Make sure your parka has a hood. Great for quickly pulling up if you get a sudden shower and jet to keep the wind off your neck if you are out on deck with the ship moving. Gets quite chilly out on deck when the ship is moving.

When were at Hubbard glacier about the fourth week of June, 2005, our daughter (25) started out in layers and all bundled up with scarf and heavy coat and hood but when the ship stood still it got warm and she peeled down to a tank top. So, thus why layers are great.

Get to the malls right now! Here in Gainesville I stocked up on all the things I need for my May Alaska cruise for less than $200! Yesterday JC Penney had warm hats and gloves for $2, long sleeve turtlenecks for $4, fleece shirts for $6, wool socks for $3, silk underwear for $15, fleece pullovers with half zip for $8, and fleece zip jackets for $12! I had already purchased a wonderful waterprook (very light and breathable shell) from LL.Bean for $59 and waterproof sneakers from Lands End for $49.

Having been in Alaska for two weeks in 2000, I guarantee you that layers are the way to go and you must have a waterproof outerlayer. Since I also live in Florida, I know it's difficult to imagine that temperature range for more than a few hours, but you will be much more happy if you are comfortable.

Also, don't overpack. Since only the bottom layer touches your body, you will be able to wear the other layers for a couple or even three days before washing them. We didn't use more than half the clothes we brought to Alaska the first time!

GO GATORS!!!

We wore outer wear from a combination of REI and LL Bean. Be sure it is "breathable" I think the term was though as the strictly waterproof jacket my dh had before the cruise was waterproof but caused him to sweat like crazy. More importantly for me was the silk long johns and tees. I am sure there are many places you can find them but we purchased ours from wintersilk.com and still use them when not on a cruise to Alaska :) They were an excellent addition to the wardrobe!

I have been to Alaska four times with each trip in September. I usually can get by with a sweatshirt and a hat. I also pick up some cheap ponchos from sporting goods stores. You can get the disposable ones for about a buck (literally). They are folded and are about the size of a cell phone so you can just put one in your pocket just in case. I also bring along a windbreaker I got from goodwill for under $5.

DH and I each got this one for our trip

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0051455923088a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=923088&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

It has a little stuff bag that takes up about the same amount of room with the jacket in it as a can of soda. It has a lot of room under it to layer and if you need it they come in talls.

We wore them daily, and never got wet. It was also very good as a windbreaker. I've worn it in downpours here at home and been nice and dry

If you want something heavier - though these can be difficult to pack their Guidewear line is great and you can get it in both insulated and non-insulated.

Archived