Dress code for children

feenix

Is the dress code the same for children, or can they wear nice shorts/shirts to dinner (not the formal dinner, but other ones). I didn't know if I need to bring khaki pants for a 5 year old or if he can wear khaki shorts. Thanks!

I doubt that anyone would say anything about nice shorts on a 5 year old, but I can guarantee that he will get lots of compliments if you get him a nice pair of pants and even a suit to wear on formal nights. We always got our kids stuff at Goodwill or a consignment shop--you may also want to try e-bay. Won't cost a lot and he will be adorable in the pictures and everyone enjoys seeing the little ones dressed up for dinner! (unless of course this would cause him to be upset because of the attention and then disregard the above information! ;))

Small, small children do NOT need to wear suits, tuxes or gowns---they will look silly! But, they should dress in 'party wear" for the formal evenings.

I would go with the long pants for dinner...he only has to have them on for a short while!

I love to see kids dressed up in suits, tuxes, etc. My son always gets rave reviews from people when he wears his pull over sweater vests over a button down shirts and he is only a 1 year old (about to turn 2). However, I think it would be fine to wear khakis (long or short) and any type of shirt (excluding crazy looking t-shirts). You can change him out of those clothes right after dinner.

If I were taking my son with me, I would put him in long khakis, button down shirt and pullover sweater vest or long khakis, button down shirt and belt.

Actually Royal Caribbean (as identified by your countdown) does not make an exception like this in its dress code.

Instead it says specifically "We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children."

The guidelines include "Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner."

No one is going to deny entry to a 5 year old in shorts and decent shirt. If you want to make them look like miniature adults instead of a 5 year old boy, that is your business. Personally I think a 5 year old should look like a 5 year old.

No one is going to deny entry to a 5 year old in shorts and decent shirt. If you want to make them look like miniature adults instead of a 5 year old boy, that is your business. Personally I think a 5 year old should look like a 5 year old.

This is not true, as I saw it with my own eyes, and the family was in our group. Basically, if the boy is older than three, he should be in long pants. Have him change after dinner back into play clothes, and he'll be fine. And 5yo is old enough to follow the dresscode. And if it's not made out to be a big deal, most kids won't even argue about it. If the adults moan and groan about changing for dinner, the kids probably will, too.

We have 3 kids and have taken multiple cruises and have never, ever had an issue with our sons (now 5 and 12) wearing nice khaki shorts with a golf/polo shirt on non-formal nights. On formal nights we have never had an issue when they wear khaki long pants with a dress shirt and blazer.

Archived