Roll Call: Legend 11/11 Crossing from Lisbon to FLL

JaneBP

Just returned from making a deposit in Las Vegas. Withdrawals not available.

Checking on cruise, it looks like the following are signed up for the Lisbon to FT. L.

crystal 808

cruiseman 58

Dorinda

Bahama Kid

Woldsman

curiousx

jschutz

Is this correct?

Lefty Bob

Thanks, Dee. I was looking forward to sailing with everyone as well. But the opportunity to sail the Odyssey was too much to resist. I particularly wanted to hear more about your Med and Egyptian adventures.

Jane - In Egypt we had 4 stops. The first was Safaga (for Luxor). There we did a private overnight to see the Valley of the Kings, Luxor and Karnak. So glad we did the overnight as a one day trip would have been even more tiring and rushed. We were lucky to just "hitch a ride" with friends we had met on board who had previously arranged the tour.

If you like to snorkel, Sharm-El-Sheikh will make you very happy. It was one of my favorite days. We got a taxi to Sharks Bay and had wonderful snorkeling right off the beach. Loads of beautiful fish, the water was warm and the sun beds were very comfortable!

Sokhna was really just a stop for Cairo. It's a huge container port. We got a taxi to a resort. They wanted more than $50 to use the beach for a few hours but we managed to go further down the beach and stay for free. One couple took a taxi into Cairo for a reasonable price. They just went to the bazaar and said the traffic was quite bad. But it can be done!

Alexandria - our favorite city in Egypt. People were very nice and we enjoyed seeing the library. We walked and took the tram.

Shopping at the tourist spots in Egypt was annoying and time consuming...we got tired of haggling, waiting for change, and being quoted ridiculous prices...$10 for a bottle of water and 2 cans of Coke!

The ports in the Med were all lovely and easy touring. We had rain in Santorini which was a shame but it was fine everywhere else. Marmaris was nicer than we expected - but it wasn't high season yet so it wasn't too crowded. In Patmos we took the public bus up to the monastery and walked down. We enjoyed the island much more than the first time we were there.

We ended the cruise with 4 days in Istanbul and liked it so much we want to return for an extended stay.

Hope this isn't more than you wanted to know!

Cheers,

Dee

I can never hear/learn enough about travels. I love it when others share their adventures. I was just mentioning that to Granny Lorr. I magine, the Trans-Siberian Railway! The current Dean of the Penn School of Nursing and her husband come from Alexandria, so I am planning an overland trip to Egypt now.

Thanks again for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder who will be the CD on the crossing. I ask because the last two cruises on the Legend the CD left after the cruise. Dan Hodge and Preston Coe. I hope it wasn't us.

It looks like the following are signed up:

crystal 808

cruiseman58

Dorinda

Bahama Kid

Woldsman

curiousx

jschutz

CeeJay11

Daneite

Lefty Bob

Anyone else?

Wish we were doing the cruise from Rome.

Bob

Hi Lefty Bob

Well you can count us in as well - Carol & Wally - we are starting on the previous cruise from Rome to Lisbon and staying on for the crossing. It will be good to be back after missing last year's crossing - the first east-west we've missed since 2002. And the CD will be Eric de Gray :) and he won't leave after our cruise, I am sure.

Also the Captain is G-A so we will have the best.

CeeJay

After typing the previous post, I noticed we were already in the list. We wish you were on the previous cruise as well - there are amazing bargains out there right now. You might want to look into it. The Rome to Lisbon cruise is now discounted at 65% off. You can hardly afford not to go!

Carol, the CD and Capitan sound great. We had talked a couple new to Seabourn to come on this cruise. They had put deposit down, but they had to cancel. Therefore I have a ref coupon available if anyone is new to Seabourn.

Bob

Carol, the CD and Capitan sound great. We had talked a couple new to Seabourn to come on this cruise. They had put deposit down, but they had to cancel. Therefore I have a ref coupon available if anyone is new to Seabourn.

Bob

Bob,

Please post your referral choice up at the top sticky- and make sure they acknowledge that they will accept it. Please let us know when this happens, so I can prune that thread.

Thanks!

Host Dan

Please add our names to the list of Nov crossing participants. Paul and I are very excited about our first East to West crossing. So sorry, Jane, that you won't be onboard. You were so sweet to me in your emails when I was asking question after question concerning our first crossing in April 08. I was really excited when I first started reading this thread and thought we'd have a chance to meet.

Also sorry that Marja and Rene will be on the Spirit instead. I will truly miss you Marja!

Paul, I look forward to seeing you at the Sky Bar again. So glad you'll be along. Getting excited about another Seabourn experience.

Paul and Ginger Caro

Paul, I look forward to seeing you at the Sky Bar again. So glad you'll be along. Getting excited about another Seabourn experience.

My first E>W crossing, too! Looking forward to seeing you again!

(one of the other) Paul(s) ;)

Paul,

We spoke in April on the Legend about getting roundtrip airfare flying U.S. to Europe in Nov '09 and Europe to U.S. in April '10 on one ticket. But now that Northwest and Delta has merged, I find that Northwest no longer has the option to purchase a roundtrip ticket that returns later than one month without being much more expensive. You mentioned this topic on this thread.

My travel agent says that only U.S. Air will do this now. Just wondered what you have found?

At this time, my husband, Paul and I are booked for both Legend transatlantic cruises, Nov and April. But we're hoping to find one airfare ticket that will work for both!

Ginger

Ginger:

My upcoming air for the Nov. crossing is the 2nd half of what I purchased beginning in April this year, so I don't know about NW/Delta "changes" in ticket purchases. My tickets were r/t MEM to FLL (on NW), and r/t MEM - LIS on Continental (through Newark). Even though Memphis is a "NW hub", I found the international flights on CO to be far cheaper than NW thru Amsterdam for the dates I needed.

Although I'm booked for next year's April crossing, it remains to be seen if I will be able to do it. I haven't sought air for that one yet, but if I did, I'd hope to have a "return" later in the year. Air for just "one event" international was really "killer" as opposed to 2 r/t tickets (approx. $1200 for one event, vs. $1400 for 2 r/t's).

I've been using ITA software to make plans...see below:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/login

Good luck in your searching!

Paul ;)

• 2 weeks later...

After some more planning, Paul and I decided to switch our transatlantic from the Legend to the Spirit. We wanted to get in some snorkeling and instead of getting off the ship in Ft. Lauderdale, we're continuing on to St. Thomas. Sorry we won't see you at the Sky Bar, Paul! We're still booked for the April crossing on the Legend and hope to see you, Marja, and Rene then, unless Marja changes her mind!

After some more planning, Paul and I decided to switch our transatlantic from the Legend to the Spirit. We wanted to get in some snorkeling and instead of getting off the ship in Ft. Lauderdale, we're continuing on to St. Thomas. Sorry we won't see you at the Sky Bar, Paul! We're still booked for the April crossing on the Legend and hope to see you, Marja, and Rene then, unless Marja changes her mind!

Marja doesn't have to change her mind........ René needs to!

I'd love to be on the Legend in April!

And the last word hasn't been said about that.......:rolleyes:

Marja

• 2 weeks later...
Paul,

We spoke in April on the Legend about getting roundtrip airfare flying U.S. to Europe in Nov '09 and Europe to U.S. in April '10 on one ticket. But now that Northwest and Delta has merged, I find that Northwest no longer has the option to purchase a roundtrip ticket that returns later than one month without being much more expensive. You mentioned this topic on this thread.

My travel agent says that only U.S. Air will do this now. Just wondered what you have found?

At this time, my husband, Paul and I are booked for both Legend transatlantic cruises, Nov and April. But we're hoping to find one airfare ticket that will work for both!

Ginger

Thanks to a tip on the Cruiseair forum here at CC, we found that Aer Lingus has REAL one way fares from New York City (and Boston) to Lisbon, so this is what we are doing. Economy fare from NYC (JFK) is $407US before taxes etc.. We're waiting for a quote on business class (if they have it). Note that we couldn't make the booking on-line - our TA had to phone. Luggage in Economy is restricted to one bag - each extra bag is $50US

We did book our airfare through U.S. Airways. It will encompass two cruises, flying Florida to Lisbon in November for the Spirit crossing and Prague to Florida after the Legend crossing in April. (We'll fly from Lisbon to Prague for a post cruise visit in April first.) So for $1037 we have worked out air transportation for two transatlantic cruises. We think that's quite good.

Archived