Cruising with a baby, is it possible???

KCfan

I'm sure this has been asked before, somewhere on the board, but I need to ask again.

I want to take my daughter on a cruise, but she has a new baby that will be 1 on May 1st.

How difficult is it to cruise with a 1 yr old?!?:eek:

I'm sure this has been asked before, somewhere on the board, but I need to ask again.

I want to take my daughter on a cruise, but she has a new baby that will be 1 on May 1st.

We have cruised with a one year old grandchild. Same issues as you would have on any vacation in terms of timing feedings, sleep, etc. I can't think of any unique issues other than excursions that may be an issue. Due to cabin size a full sized stroller can be an issue. We used an umbrella fold up type. Sometimes they can be stored by the cabin steward. Bring your own baby food or else order from the ship beforehand at some expense. the baby will get lots of attention from other cruisers.

Go to the family cruising board and you'll lots of helpful hints.

Dont shoot the messenger, but I saw couples with young children and honestly, they just didn't look all that happy. I saw mom and dad having to take turns doing things, and that can get old. Now one big difference could be they were by themselves and didn't have grandpa and grandma to help out. Your daughter would get a break with you there..and that would help a lot.

I don't know, just my personal opinion...but traveling with small children like that, just didn't appeal to *me. I wanted to wait until we all could really enjoy it.

With a 1 yo, you will be responsible for all of the "entertaining" of the child---aside from perhaps, Disney, I don't think any lines have programs for kids that young. It really depends on what you want from your cruise experience. Obviously, you will be restricted a bit with the things you can do with a small child. Some lines offer in cabin babysitting, and I'd take advantage of that so mom and dad can have a night out now and again!

Excursions may be a consideration, too. The child won't care how much fun it seems to you....they're just along for the ride!

Don't forget about the packing issues, too...you'll need all the diapers and other accessories for the entire trip.

Folks do this all the time...it's more than doable---but it's not the same as an adult-only cruise experience!

A one year old will not be allowed in the children's programs and unless potty trained, unlikely at one, no POOLS either, though they can bring a small blow up pool to fill with a bucket, all babysitting and entertaining of the baby will be up to you.

It's not as relaxing as a cruise should be. You don't have all the stuff you normally do at home, less space, thinner walls, etc. Can it be done? Yes, but most people I know personally who have done it were more exhausted when the returned than when they left. And there are obstacles that you don't have at home (besides having all the stuff) like time changes, schedules, possible seasickness, or any other sickness while on a ship. The ships are set up to treat adults medically, but not babies as much.

Now the opposite could be true if there are several people who are very willing to help the parents out, like taking the child for a few hours for a nap while the parents did what they would like to do. Eating in the dining room would be difficult in a traditional setting because it typically takes around two hours.

I'm not trying to discourage either. Many, many people do it and have a wonderful time. However, our experience was not great with my 10 month old grandson (his age at the time of the cruise)

He is a laid back, happy baby and we thought it would be a piece of cake. Well, he started teething that week and carried a low fever. Add into that being out of his own bed, having to sit at a table for quite a while for meals and he was one unhappy camper. We certainly didn't have a horrible time as there were plenty of us to try and help mom and dad, but my DD came home and said that she would never, ever cruise again with a child that was under 2 years old.

Go the family board as others have recommended and you will be able to get lots of great info from lots of people who have cruised successfully with young babies.

CG

Thank you all so much for the input. You brought up several points I never even thought about. Sounds like we should probably wait.

Long story ~ short ~ I took my DS and his wife to Alaska and was planning a trip to Cabo for her ...... then SURPRISE ..... she's pregnant.

Well now we want to go back to Alaska and DD is jealous, so I was just considering taking a cruise with the baby. Looks like she is just going to have to wait a little longer. We will all have more fun that way.:D

Thanks again for all the info.

Linda

Archived