Why do you cruise with Oceania?

YoPhilly

Hello. You can request a table for two in the main dining room any time you want to show up. I do not know if you can request a specific table though unless it is empty. We always ate by ourselves at a table for two (we aren't antisocial either) but we usually got to the dining room later about 7:30 or 8 pm. This was our first cruise and we are booked again.

We liked the open dining, going to dinner in slacks and casual clothing, the small size of the ship, limited smoking and nearly no kids. The food was great and so was the bed.

At each port, first thing in the morning, someone from the TO in that port came aboard. S/he could answer questions and provide maps and brochures. Although I like to do a lot of research in advance, I always had one more little question to ask, or could benefit from a better map than what I had been able to find at home or online.

Andee, I concur. Although I did a lot of research, I simply love me the maps when I self-guide (I pride myself on my sense of direction), and the maps provided usually were a lot more detailed than those I had.

We have completed five cruises on Oceania

Although no guarantee, you can usually request the same table or the same wait staff each nite.

Just find out it's number or their name the first time and ask for it/them at the entrance from then on. We ate about 6:30-7pm and always got the same table except for once.

There are lots of tables for two in the main dining room. In the speciality restaurants they seemed to want to put us at larger tables although a couple of times we got tables for two. When we were at larger tables we always met interesting people and enjoyed ourselves.

As to entertainment we never stayed up late enough to go to them although usually once on each cruise they put on a show in the late afternoon, before dinner.

We don't cruise for the entertainment but as everyone else has said the cruising experience is unlike mass market ships and lets hope it stays that way. Think of being in a rich uncle's country home!!

Hi again. Oceania is not the ship if you are into big productions and Las Vegas type of shows which is fine by me. We were on a 12 day Med cruise (our first cruise) and it took us about 6 days to actually get to the entertainment. Our cruise was very port intensive which is great and by the time we got back on the ship at around 5 pm we headed straight to happy hour (2 for 1 pricing) at the Lounge. We would sit there until about 6:30 pm since sail away often was a 6 pm.

After happy hour we went to our cabin and showered and had another leisurely drink. You are allowed to bring wine and liquor on board. By the time we got to the dining room it was nearly 8 pm and after dinner we went to back to our cabin for those initial days and watched TV since we were pooped. I am in my mid 50's but it took me a while to acclimate to the schedule and all the walking we did in port. Now we know and will attend the entertainment from the beginning.

Our cruise had a magician and his wife assistant. Sounds hokey but they were really were entertaining. They are very nice people as well because they were on our team for "Name that Tune". We also had an absolutely wonderful and talented classical guitarist. He played two nights as well. We had a young women who sang. She was okay as well.

After the shows, there are "parlor" games. Trivia, Name that tune, etc. The people on the cruise were very nice and friendly and we had a good time. By midnight we were zombies.

During the day, there was a couple of lecturers. I only got to one lecture since we were always out. The lecturer was a biologist who explained the differences in the salinity and sea life between the Mediterrean and the Black Sea. The discussion was actually very interesting and he knew his stuff.

The ship has someone come on board in the mornings from the port you are visiting. I had a lot of information with me beforehand since we did our own touring but it was nice to get first hand information (like make a left out of the port for the train/bus).

I have no idea what other ships are like since this was our first cruise but I will say I will never cruise a large line afer Oceania. There are no waits for tenders, no photographers in your face, and if you eat in the "buffet" no one touches the food but the staff.

I think you will really enjoy your cruise as long as you are not expecting big time entertainment.

Do not forget to add the air to that price...O's price with air is $1299.

Yes we will have to add this in later. When I checked on Os site they added in some $400+ for air tickecting, fuel surcharge etc. to the base price.

Want so to see if we can do better as it will likely be one way back to Miami and then driving home.

Want so to see if we can do better as it will likely be one way back to Miami and then driving home.

Check Swiss Air they had the best prices last year when we were looking for the same air

Thanks a lot for the heads-up on that transatlantic! Just booked it thru my regular TA at the same price as mentioned - fantastic price even with the "extra charges" - and there are some additional perks (credits)!

Fran

While we have not the means to try those upper suites, we can still postulate why some people particularly like those suites.

Those who dislike smoking and formal nights will find Oceania the most suitable, regardless of price. This is coupled with the easy atmosphere and port intensive itineraries. The upper suites (OS, VS) are as large as the upper suites in true luxury lines, and as comfortable and well served (in-suite course by course dinners, butlers, etc.) They also get the satisfaction of being at the top of the passengers.

So for quite a few wealthy people, they will prefer Oceania's upper suites to the true luxury lines. There are enough of these to usually fill the total of only 10 such suites per voyage. So for those who wish to be in this category, be prepared to pay, since you are competing with those who can pay!

Thanks a lot for the heads-up on that transatlantic! Just booked it thru my regular TA at the same price as mentioned - fantastic price even with the "extra charges" - and there are some additional perks (credits)!

Fran

Hi, Fran, the roll call for that cruise is here.

Fran

I can't find the post about the transatlantic you mentioned....fantastic price??? Tell me about it.

Think of being in a rich uncle's country home!!

Love it! :)

I can't find the post about the transatlantic you mentioned....fantastic price??? Tell me about it.

The 14 day March 21, 2010 transatlantic cruise from Miami to Barcelona can currently be had for as little as $1822 per couple including taxes and fees. In addition, you get included gratuities and $500 on board credit per cabin.

Top positives:

1) Didn't feel like I was on a cattleboat

2) Cabana

3) Open seat dining

4) Dining outside

5) Port intensive itinerary

6) Excellent service

Top negatives:

1) Poor entertainment - sacrifice due to size of ship I suppose

2) Food didn't met expectations (our expectations likely were too high)

It's hard to limit the reasons we like Oceania to three:

Size of the ships

Excellent food

Open seating dining

Free specialty restaurants

Port intensive itineraries

Tourist information rep on board at each port

No formal nights

Wonderful staff

Wow we are considering our first cruise after a several years leave from cruising.

Oceania sounds like it would fit us perfectly.

The 14 day March 21, 2010 transatlantic cruise from Miami to Barcelona can currently be had for as little as $1822 per couple including taxes and fees. In addition, you get included gratuities and $500 on board credit per cabin.

PER COUPLE????????

WOW! That's a great deal. Hmmmm........

We will join Nautica Jan 22nd for back to back cruises, our 5th & 6th with Oceania. We have sailed with most of the other popular lines for over 500 sea days. While we will still go with others Oceania is now our favorite by far. Here are some of the reasons.

1. Peaceful classy atmosphere on board. Few interruptions hustling revenue producing activities. No hairy chest competitions or the like. No unruly children or teens running out of control.

2. Wonderful well traveled fellow passengers, very friendly & non pretentious. Haven't met an obnoxious one yet.

3. Food, really first class with not a hint of the bean counters cutting corners!. The quality of deserts go way beyond the other lines where we see the standard now so poor we are seldom tempted. The steak in the dining room of Oceania is continually better than the pay extra specialty restaurants on the major lines.

4. The crew gives the impression that they are happy in their job, they seem to leave no stone unturned in sincerely trying to please the guest. This starts at the top with the attitude of the boss MR FDR, I believe he has got it right.

5. Smaller ships, no waiting in line, fast tender service.

6. The great 8 piece orchestra & a reasonable sized dance floor,

8. The limited smoking policy

quote]

Have to say we agree completely with all you have said :):)

I didn't know that O doesn't have formal nights....I like that! Also didn't know specialty restaurants were free....like that too!:)

Curious regarding staff, is the ship's staff primarily from one country or are they multinational like Princess?

Can you explain more about the "tourist information rep".....is that a member of the ship's staff or is it someone from the port?

Thanks for your feedback. Keep it coming......I'm alllllmmost there!;)

So there is absolutely no need for DH to pack a suit?

It has been mentioned more than once on this thread that Oceania allows you to bring unlimited wine on board but they told me today that we were only allowed 3 bottles per cabin. Is this a change in policy? I was so excited when I thought that I could take a case of wine.

So there is absolutely no need for DH to pack a suit?

Not unless he wants to

My DH like to take a blazer... I cannot talk him out of it;)

He just feels like he is dressed up a bit for dinner

It has been mentioned more than once on this thread that Oceania allows you to bring unlimited wine on board but they told me today that we were only allowed 3 bottles per cabin. Is this a change in policy? I was so excited when I thought that I could take a case of wine.

Maybe something new

Who did you speak with your TA or O res agent?

Maybe something new

Who did you speak with your TA or O res agent?

My TA called to Oceania to ask while I waited. She said that more than 3 would be confiscated.

DH is quite pleased that a suit is not required. He doesn't object to having to wear a suit but we attend enough formal functions that it just isn't special. We would rather be comfortable and travel light.

I'm just off Insignia 6 days ago; there was no limit, and no announcements about any limit. I would double check your source.

There is an official policy, in writing, that states no alcohol may be brought aboard. This policy has been in place as long as I can remember. However, it is there ONLY to be used if someone abuses the unofficial policy of allowing alcohol to be brought on board.

What would constitute abuse? Logic says consuming your beverage in public, trying to sneak your wine into the dining room without paying the corkage fee, or drunk and disorderly conduct (the bartenders would prevent that if you were purchasing your drinks on board). Fortunately, unlike the mass market ships, I have never met an Oceania passenger who would engage in that behavior.

And, perhaps THAT is the greatest reason I love Oceania...

Archived