Statendam - A few more notes

Krazy Kruizers

There was never a problem getting omeletes made - both sides always made 2 at a time and the line moved quickly.

But if you only wanted toast, English muffin, or a bagel, you had to wait in the omlette line - just like we had to do on the other ships. And then everything had to be put through twice.

The sandwich man was another story. He acted as though it pained him to make a sandwich. He never smiled. A man in front of me wanted just a plain cheese sandwich. The sandwich man had to be told three times to get 3 slices of cheese on the bread. And potato chips - it also pained him to reach down, open the bag, and pour them into the bowl. Some days he would just "maybe later".

Curry, stir fry, etc., area - here the man would only make one a at time even though he had the equipment to make 2 at a time. That line was ridiculous at times.

The photographers were pushy most of the time. We bought only 1 photo - one taken with the captain - 8 by 10 for $10.95. People were complaining about the photos always being big and the high prices. Don't think they sold very many pictures on this cruise. Pictures were taken at the Mariner's Parties - group pictures of those already holding medals. Never did find out what happened to them.

One woman we were talking to went the salon to get a manicure. The girl there talked her into having a hand massage. All the girl did was massage some cream onto her hands and place the palms on a couple of warm rocks. All for $102!

Even though we have never had anything stolen from our cabin from any ship, I can understood how it can happen. We noticed a couple of times that our cabin door would be open for the better of 1/2 hour while our cabin steward was out getting ice or just hunting down extra supplies when his service area was out of something. Anyone could slip in quickly and take anything.

We were fortunate to have another excellent waiter in the dining room. We were lucky to see his assistant 6 times during the 21 days. Our waiter was the one who was always running for the meals, etc. He had 18 people to take care of and had very little time to talk. We have no idea where the non-smiling assistant disappeared to all the time.

Even though we have never had anything stolen from our cabin from any ship, I can understood how it can happen. We noticed a couple of times that our cabin door would be open for the better of 1/2 hour while our cabin steward was out getting ice or just hunting down extra supplies when his service area was out of something. Anyone could slip in quickly and take anything.

You really struck a chord with me on this one. I have spoken with our cabin stewards several times about this on different ships.

When we were in the Penthouse one cruise, I returned to my cabin mid morning to find the door open. I entered and quickly learned the steward was not in the cabin. I left the door open as he had left it. I was sitting on the couch reading and continued to leave the door open. After 35 minutes, he still had not returned. I left the cabin, closed the door and went looking for him. He was working a few doors down.

I asked why he had left our door open and he said he would be returning to finish up. We then had a conversation how PARTICULARLY with a Penthouse door open, some people will be curious about the cabin and will enter, walk around and if so inclined help themselves to 'souvenirs' either belonging to HAL or to me BUT in either case, there would be theft of property if he continued to do that. Of course he apologized and said he would not do that anymore but for the rest of the cruise it made me nervous. Not even so much about my own things but HAL's. There were some pricey things in there and I didn't wish to be 'blamed' for removing things when indeed some souvenir collector took it. And I most assuredly didn't want anyone pawing through our things.

Sorry.....but we all know there are thieves in the world. They lurk everywhere.

Sail, you are absolutely right. It's inexcuseable for a cabin steward to leave a door open at any time he/she will be farther away than the service cart in the hall.

KK, your assistant steward was most likely at the other staggered seating trying to take care of those folks.

Our assistant waiter was no where to be found many times. Doddy, our area captain, asked our waiter a couple of times where he was - I couldn't hear the response. Also, Rami, our wine steward, spend most of his time filling water glasses and removing dishes from our area and the one next to us where the assistant was also supposed to be working.

KK, this is a most helpful report. Thank you so much.

I think I read all of your notes, but other than Mr. Fealey, do you remember the captain's name, the CD, or the maitre'D...

And is the Statendam still using the old ling card system, that is one card for the room and one for getting on and off the ship. This was cumbersome, especially when combined with the safe, as I remember...

Thanks again for such a helpful report.

Selfishly, have to tell you that we are scheduled for her 30 day South Pacific adventure in early January; needless to say, the air conditioning problem does concern us for a trip of that length.

Krazy Kruizers .... Just a note to let you know that you were really missed here on the board while you were away!!!! Gosh, it seemed like a VERY long time!

We've noticed the same situation with the room stewards and cleaning! :eek: So often the doors a left open for extended periods of time .... :confused:

Thanks for the report and glad you're back!!!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Archived