Hong Kong

Miss Jolly

Our family will arrive in Hong Kong on Diamond Princess in April and will have an overnight stay. I have been to Hong Kong a few times but it was quite some time ago and I cannot remember the details:confused:

I would like to spend the first day showing my family the general sights that are on the typical Hong Hong day tour - but we want to do it independently. I would like to take them across on the Star ferry ,up the cable car to The Peak, I remember some sort of scary ride on a double decker that takes you past Repulse Bay and around a rather scenic route. I would also like to take them to Stanley Markets. Can someone please tell me how to combine all of this?

Am I anywhere near Aberdeen and the jumbo floating restaurant here? If so more directions/instructions would be great:)

Where would be the best place for a family (Inexpensive please) to view the Laser show in the evening?

At some stage I would like to visit a particular store that is near the Hyatt in Nathan Road. More instructions/advice please:o

I thought that we could visit the big Buddha on Lantau Island for the second day. You guessed it ....I need help/advice/directions for this too PLEASE.;)

I really appreciate any ideas or directions that you can offer.Thank you.

We did this cruise in October '08. We had ship's excursions which included all the sights you mentioned in and around Hong Kong. If you don't want to do this then how about a taxi? Negotiate a price for the day. You will anchor off Hong Kong and use tenders. The best view of the laser show is from the ship - free! And don't miss the excursion to Lantau Island and Po Lin Monastery. We consider this the best excursion of the cruise and worth every penny. We had an excellent guide who took us to a very interesting fishing village, then to the Buddha and then we enjoyed a wonderful vegetarian meal at the Monastery which is included in the price. Hope this helps.

Ros

Thanks Ros for your help. I thouight we might catch the ferry to Lantau Island. Did you take the ship's tour? With 4 of us travelling for 2 months, we are trying to avoid the cost of ship's tours wherever possible. I think we may have to take it to the Great wall though as we arrive in Beijing on their public holiday.

What did you do for Muroran?

Hello,

Although I have not been to Hong Kong, my research so far and this includes speaking with a couple who were born and raised in Hong Kong and go back there frequently, you can see Hong Kong on your own.

This area has an almost unbelievable public transportation system...trains, subway, trams, ferries, buses, and supposedly relatively inexpensive taxis. And as English is widely spoken I see no reason to take a ship's tour.

Do your research (and make sure that the others in your family really help you) and I'm sure that you will have a great time in Hong Kong at far less cost than a tour. And since Hong Kong was once part of the British Empire, you will probably notice and feel comfortable with some aspects of Hong Kong life (even though this city is now a part of China.

My wife and I will be in Hong Kong for three days prior to a cruise, and so far at least I see no reason why we can't see this area on our own.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

The first place you want to visit is the HK Tourism office located at Star Ferry, Kowloon side. Don't know if you will be docked at Ocean Terminal which is right next to the Star Ferry. They will be able to give you all kinds of info and direct you where to go and what to do with maps and brochures. You can do everything on your own easily. I cannot tell you exactly which pier to take the ferries to Lantau because they have changed so much. Most young people speaks English, you should have no problems getting help. I would suggest that you also take the tram on HK side (not the tram to the peak). Very slow but very cheap. Pick a time (mid morning) and ride the tram from one end to the other. You will be able to see a lot of HK. I believe it's $2HK pp.

From Star Ferry HK, there should be buses going to the Peak Tram Station. Take the tram up Victoria Peak for a view of the famous harbor. Take a bus down for the scary ride. The bus station should be at the other building across from the tram station. Ask which bus to take to either Stanley and Aberdeen. We took the one back to Central.

Have fun!

Thanks Ros for your help. I thouight we might catch the ferry to Lantau Island. Did you take the ship's tour? With 4 of us travelling for 2 months, we are trying to avoid the cost of ship's tours wherever possible. I think we may have to take it to the Great wall though as we arrive in Beijing on their public holiday.

What did you do for Muroran?

Are you having pre-cruise in Beijing? The cost of all the tours was included for us. We visited the Great Wall, The Summer Palace, Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven. Taxis are extremely cheap in Beijing but the drivers cannot speak English. We were also there for the public holiday and the reports of millions of people herding around are exaggerated. We had no problems. We took ourselves out every night and explored. We got a card from the hotel concierge which listed all the sights in English and Chinese. We pointed out where we wanted to go the doorman who called up a taxi and told the driver to take us there. Ask the doorman what the fare will be BEFORE you enter the taxi. I can quite understand why you want to avoid ship's excursions. They are prohibitive. However, I do think that the excursion to Lantau Island is worth the money. You will be taken to several different places which would be expensive to do on your own. It's a whole day excursion so you get your money's worth. As you are going with Princess you will certainly be tendered ashore in HK. From there we boarded the coach which took us to Lantau Island which is twice the size of HK Island but which has a population of only 25,000 people in comparison to that of HK 8.5 million. Everything is spread out so you would find it very difficult to see everything independently. On arrival on Lantau you will transfer to a local bus with your guide as the locals don't want the infrastructure damaged by large coaches. The walking tour of the fishing village is fascinating and the guide explains an awful lot of the history which you wouldn't know on your own. Same for the Po Lin Monastery and the Giant Buddha. I would recommend you take this excursion as it is well worth the cost.In the evening, you can take the tender to shore, walk a few yards and then catch the Star Ferry to Kowloon and the Night Market. The Ferry is very cheap and taked about ten minutes. Hope this helps.

Ros

We didn't visit Muroran - has the itinerary changed?

We were in Hong Kong in April and October last year and we will be returning again next month. We have visited Hong Kong many times over the years and it is a very easy city to move around in, especially if you use their MTR system and the local buses. http://www.mtr.com.hk/engtxt/homepage/cust_txt_index.html

As you are a family, the most inexpensive way to see everything is to buy an Octopus card for the buses and trains. You purchase the card and you can add money to it regularly. If you are a Senior - over 60 - then the card will last for ages without you needing to top it up as Senior's are half price. The Tourist Bureau is right at the Ferry terminal which is very close to Ocean Terminal. They will be able to help you with this.

Now to your plans.

It is easy to catch the ferry over to Hong Kong Island from the ship and just walk to the bus stop where you will catch the bus that takes you to the Funicular tram to the Peak. Once up there, you can decide whether you want to retrace your steps back on the tram down to the bus etc. or you can catch a taxi or take a bus back. It is very easy.

You are talking about going to Repulse Bay and Stanley Market. This is very easy as the double decker bus leaves from Salisbury Road which is right by the Ocean Terminal and goes under the tunnel to the Island and then winds around the shore passing Aberdeen, Repulse Bay and finally arriving at Stanley where the market is situated. It is a lovely ride especially if you are up top. You will be able to alight and then hop back on if you have an Octopus ticket.

Besides viewing the laser show from the ship, which we have done, the best view in my opinion is along the esplande outside the Intercontinental Hotel. The best way to get there is to once again walk to the ferry and keep walking to the left. You will pass the Arts Centre and the walk becomes the Avenue of Stars. This is right opposite the laser show and if it is a warm night, it is a great way to view the show.

To get to Nathan Road from the Ocean Terminal just come out of the shopping centre connected to the Ocean Terminal and walk straight ahead either up Salisbury Road, or up Peking Road and the first main Street is Nathan Road. It is only a couple of blocks from where the ship is docked.

The last item on your list is the Big Buddha on Lantau Island. We did this in October and it was just so easy. We caught a train at Tsim Sha Tsui Station on the Red line which took us to Lai Kin where we change to the Orange Line and took the train as far as it goes which is Tung Chung. When you alight you walk about 100 metres to the Cable Car. This is a most amazing journey as it goes for about 20-30 minutes over a couple of bays and you then arrive into Po Lin. The Big Buddha is about a 15 minute walk and then you have to climb the stairs to see it up close. It is a great day and didn't cost very much at all.

There are maps in all the stations and they are easy to follow. The Cable Car is not included in your Octopus ticket.

Here is a map of the train system: http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/system_map_pop_up.html

I hope this has helped. You do not need a guide in Hong Kong, it is very user friendly.

Jennie

• 4 weeks later...

Just did all of this....and it is quite possible to do everything you want in one day. You may need to look up the bus numbers to be sure. Start out with a Star Ferry ride if you are staying in Kawloon. Then from there there is a "shuttle bus" that takes you to the peak tram. Take the peak tram ONE WAY. After riding the tram, at the top you can then take a bus to Stanley. There is a tourist info booth at the top...ask them where to catch the bus....I think it is a 66??? or 6 X but it is a little tricky to "find the stop"...so make sure they give you directions. (They are all very nice). BRING EXACT CHANGE FOR BUSES...BRING LOTS OF CHANGE!!!! The ride to Stanley is about 30 to 40 minutes. Get off at the market....shop etc and have lunch. There is a cute "noodle shop" down by the beach. (cheap). After shopping, go to the top of the market and take a bus to Aberdeen...ask someone...which bus it is. The stop you need to get off is NOT obvious...ask people or driver where to get off to get a Sampan ride...again people speak English and are eager to help. The only thing to really do there is take a Sampan around harbor or go to Jumbo restaurant....A privat Sampan costs around $15 for half hour which is more then enough. Then you can take a bus directly back to Central which takes about 30 minutes. You will be back around 6 p.m or so. Watch the light show from Clock tower area (free) there is a pedestrian walkway that people sit on with great views in front of clock tower with benches that you can see show and hear music from Kawloon side. Pat

You take the subway directly from Kawloon (so if you are not on that side you need to take the Star Ferry over to that side) to the Lantau Island stop (a 30 minute ride) where you get off the subway and cross a small outdoor plaza to pick up the cable car. Everything in Hong Kong public transportation is very EASY and well marked. The only key is that sometimes you need exact change but NOT on the subway. You see signs which are well marked in English. After buying your ticket for the cable car (you need to decide one way or round trip...we did round trip....but you CAN take a ferry back instead which brings you to the side which is "Central"....you might want to look into that) and then take the cable car which brings you to a little village near the Budha statue. In the village there are shops and other options of ways to spend your money. There are movies to watch, exhibits to visit, a tea shop etc. Otherwise, you walk thru the village and stroll a bit towards the budha which is very obvious. Then you must buy a ticket at the bottom of MANY steps to climb to the Budha. The ticket includes entrance into the inside of the Budha which has a small museum (I didn't think this was a must see) and your option of either a snack or the veggie lunch which is served at the monestary below. I highly recommend the lunch. It was amazing! After climbing the steps to the Budha, we then visited the monestary for lunch, went to the tea house, didn't do much shopping but headed back via cable car and subway. We did all of this between about 8:30 and 2:30. It was a wonderful day and quite easy to do on your own. Pat

• 1 month later...

For thse of you who don't know about or haven't experienced the airport express (out of airport ) check in desks. I will tell you about them, in a nut shell with most airlines as long as you buy an airport express train ticket you can check in for your flight in Kowloon or Hong Kong Island up to 24 hours before your flight. as an example we had a 2100 flight we checked in at Kowloon about 1000 dumped our bags and went to Disney land next time we saw our bags was at our destination. One of the best travel aids we have ever used. The reason I am writing this post is that we are going back to Hong Kong and need to know if Emirates provide this service in Kowloon. I need to know if anybody has actually checked in with emirates there. Many thanks in advance

Cec and Kim:o sorry about the post away from the original topic but they wont let me post a new thread.

We did this cruise in October '08. We had ship's excursions which included all the sights you mentioned in and around Hong Kong. If you don't want to do this then how about a taxi? Negotiate a price for the day. You will anchor off Hong Kong and use tenders. The best view of the laser show is from the ship - free! And don't miss the excursion to Lantau Island and Po Lin Monastery. We consider this the best excursion of the cruise and worth every penny. We had an excellent guide who took us to a very interesting fishing village, then to the Buddha and then we enjoyed a wonderful vegetarian meal at the Monastery which is included in the price. Hope this helps.

Ros

:rolleyes: It sounds a very good tour. Did you also get to ride the cable car on Lantau?

The first thing you should though before you start planing is check if you are really going to be docked at the Ocean terminal!! Not like us who found ourselves out in Kennedy Town. That isn't a big deal either because you walk off the pier and turn left at the gate, walk up to the main road and turn left again, walk passed the park and there is the tram, hop on and take it to Central for 2HK$ Person - Children are only 1HK$. This is a 10 min walk and a sightseeing trip into town.

HK can be done by foot - oh and do check out the walk ways - they are a unique way of getting around especially when the weather isn't game.

The Diamond Princess will be docked either at the Container Port of at anchor and tendered into town. It will be too big to enter the harbour. On the outgoing cruise it first anchored and tendered before getting a berth at the container port.

Have a look at this website http://www.hongkongextras.com/index.html - I found it full of useful info (some of which we put into action during our 4 day visit in October), including which bus to take where, which side to sit on etc.

:confused: Hi, I noticed that you have recently been on the Super Starship Virgo. We are going on a cruise in September and wondered whther you did the excursions on your own and if so what did you do? We have the the Striats of Malacca cruise about 5 years ago and want to see how things have changed. We will have time in Phuket and Penang. Any hints for activities? Thanks for your help.:)

The first thing you should though before you start planing is check if you are really going to be docked at the Ocean terminal!! Not like us who found ourselves out in Kennedy Town. That isn't a big deal either because you walk off the pier and turn left at the gate, walk up to the main road and turn left again, walk passed the park and there is the tram, hop on and take it to Central for 2HK$ Person - Children are only 1HK$. This is a 10 min walk and a sightseeing trip into town.

HK can be done by foot - oh and do check out the walk ways - they are a unique way of getting around especially when the weather isn't game.

Which ship were you on please?

Miss Jolly,

Moeve and I were on the same ship - Azamara's Quest. It was a huge surprise to us all back in Janaury when we discovered that we would not be docking at Ocean Terminal but instead on Hong Kong Island in a container terminal.

We had all booked our hotels in Kowloon close to the Terminal so that we wouldn't have far to go to the ship but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

We think that Azamara didn't book far enough ahead for the Ocean Terminal so we were stuck out near Mid Levels and Aberdeen on the Island.

Jennie

The Ocean Terminal is owned by Star cruises so they get first choice regardless of when any other line books. If the move a ship there 1 week before your arrival they still get the ocean terminal and the other ship has to move to an alternative or tender in the absolute worst case.#

You can keep an eye on it though by googling the Ocean Terminal and checking out the bookings. Or at which of the berths you will be - if your ship isn't listed then you will not be docked there either.

For the Diamond Princess, forget about the Ocean terminal. It is far too large to enter the harbour. Best case scenario is docking at the container port and not tendered which happened for one day when it was there on the outward cruise.

Archived