Just returned from Zaandam cruise

twoatsea

twoatsea=

thank you for your review. I enjoyed reading it and all of your replies, particulary how you handle problems. I was renting a movie last week on the Oosterdam and had to smile at a woman who wanted her cabin changed, and continued to insist even after being told several times that the ship was full! Also, I had a wonderful conversation with a helicopter pilot from Vietnam who was at least 30 years older than me. My DH and I also appreciate the quiet atmosphere on the HAL's ships.

Beth

TwoatSea- The negatives regarding the staff apparently stemmed from the poster spilling her Coke in bed & asking the room steward to change the sheets (after she apologized profusely to him) which he refused. She then asked for clean sheets so she could change them herself which he also refused. I'm wondering if maybe there was a language barrier (?) Also she said the staff made no effort to know her name or her likes/dislikes and the waiter disappeared partway through her dinner. The other poster mostly complained of the average age of passengers, not enough to do at night, etc. (she sounded young, perhaps by herself (?), maybe should have gone with Carnival-and I honestly don't mean that in a negative way..it's just a different kind of cruise). So glad you had a great time. We've just re-booked the Capt. Marvin Stingray City tour...we are SOOO excited!:D

15. the ship was full of "old" people. some actually had the nerve to bring wheelchairs, walkers, canes - can you imagine! so, we suffered in the wonderful calmness & quiet. another reason why lately we are only sailing on hal --- not for the "old" people, but the quiet!
DH love to do nothing but sit next to the pool all day. We can only dream of cruising and not having to worry about finding a chaise lounge on deck!

In that we are sailing over Christmas there will be plenty of families (including our own :) )--- so we will keep dreaming about ' "old" people...the quiet! ' for another time ;)

I just returned from a cruise on Zaandam.....very very disapppointed, will never cruise HAL again! Maybe if you are over 75, you may prefer it...

Food poor, selection minimal, service average, entertainment terrible...the longest, boring week I have experienced.

Please, unless you are over 75, do NOT go on this ship!!!

The one positive..the cabin. had an outside balcony, which was very pleasant.

I am sorry you did not have a good time on the Zaandam. We are looking forward to our cruise in February. I am constantly going. I have a schedule that is crazy. This cruise is my way of calming down. I am looking forward to being bored. I don't really think I will be but it will be nice not to have to do anything if I don't want to. I am in my 40's and will be traveling with my husband and kids. My parents who are in their 70's are coming as well. This trip will be perfect for all of us. I have cruised on the party ship and was very disappointed. A cruise is not one size fits all. You need to pick the right one for you. I know I have found the right one on the Zaandam. Hopefully you will cruise again and it will be more to your liking.

Karen

I just returned from a cruise on Zaandam.....very very disapppointed, will never cruise HAL again! Maybe if you are over 75, you may prefer it...

Food poor, selection minimal, service average, entertainment terrible...the longest, boring week I have experienced.

Please, unless you are over 75, do NOT go on this ship!!!

The one positive..the cabin. had an outside balcony, which was very pleasant.

I'm still quite a ways from 75 - as are many others on this board - yet we're not 'bored' on HAL ships. Perhaps you could expand just a tad on what the problems were? You might (just to help us understand, of course) also let us know what your expectations were...

-dave

I can honestly say I have never been bored on a HAL ship. That said, we will be on the Zaandam in Dec. for our 5th and 6th time and love everything about that ship, from the crew, the service, the ambience etc down to the guys who vacuum the hallways. What exactly were you looking for? we can always find something or nothing to do and still enjoy ourselves. I guess its a matter of different strokes.......jean :cool:

Archived