bringing an inflatable pool on board???

kansaskid

Three words: ick, ick, ick.

The health issues this brings up, at a time when ship's go into red alert for Noro, are just too many.

There was a time when HAL wouldn't allow babies aboard. Don't have a problem with them traveling. But don't want to catch typhoid from them.

That's why so many wonderful parents who want to meet health codes and let their infants have fun bring pools for their verandas or the pool area. Wouldn't it be nice if all adults cruising were as considerate? Cherie

and wouldnt it be nice if Greenpeace showed those wonderful parents dumping the pool over the side?

Oh come on give us a break!;) Since when is a baby Pool of water dumped overboard going to pollute the water...Also if the Baby's diaper had excrement in it, a Parent would flush it into a toilet!:( Do you honestly believe that Greenpeace would get involved with a baby pool being dumped overboard? :rolleyes:

Where do you think your toilet flushes go when you are at sea... You really don't believe that HAL stores waste from every flushed toilet in the holding tanks when the ships are at sea do you?..

True, they pump out their holding tanks in many ports, & when they are within navigable waters of shore but I would venture to guess they often discharge it overboard when they are 12 miles out at sea as permitted by Maritime Environmental laws..

Our holding tanks on our boat were always closed until we were 3 miles out to sea...According to U.S. Environmental & Coast Guard Maritime Laws we were then permitted to open them & discharge the waste from the Holding Tanks..However, believe for large ships though navigable waters are 12 miles out, but I'm not entirely sure about that..

Betty

Where do you think your toilet flushes go when you are at sea.
I don't have a dog in this fight :) but I just thought it was relevant to note that when a ship discharges waste water it has been treated to a better state than many municipal water systems.

I don't have a dog in this fight :) but I just thought it was relevant to note that when a ship discharges waste water it has been treated to a better state than many municipal water systems.

Thanks & I agree with you...I only used this as a comparison to the discharge of a small baby pool of water in the ship's scuppers..:)

In most cases cruise Cruise ships do treat their waste, especially the ones which ply the North American waters...However, not all shipping companies are as diligent about protecting our enviroment..And the beautiful yachts that you see & private boaters do not treat their waste... We were avid sail boaters & frequently sailed to the Abaco's (Bahamas).. We often would go into a lovely little place called "Little Harbor" which was only accessable by boat..It had one of the most pristine beaches we've ever visited..The last time we were there, we were horrified to see that the beach was covered with tar balls..:(:( This was caused by untreated waste which had been discharged by ships...Presume many of them were Cargo ships..

Also in our community, many households are hooked up to & use "Potty Water", as we call it, to water their yards... We don't, but if our well runs dry, we'll have to hook up to it..

Jhannah...So nice to see you back with us & hope you are doing well...

Betty

We did something very close to this when we sailed on the Veendam when my daughter turned 2. We didn't bring an inflatable pool, but we did bring an inflatable tub- much smaller, but it still gave Grace some water to splash in. We didn't have a veranda, so we searched and searched until we found an out of the way place- the forward deck on the Veendam (underneath the bridge.) There was a water source there, and there was a drain to dump the water into. No one else was out there the entire time that we were there- we also used to take Grace there to kick around an inflatable beach ball. The doors to the deck were closed, but there were no signs that said keep out. Every time we went, we waved to folks on the deck and they waved back, so it must have been fine with them...

So, I would say that it depends on whether the poster can find a place that is really and truely out of the way. We did, and it sure made my two year old very, very happy. :)

we did this when we sailed w/ my daughter at the age of 1. it was actually an inflatable bathtub. you just choose a somewhat uncrowded out of the way area. My husband just went to the shower 3 or 4 times and filled an ice bucket (from the bar i think) with water. you only need an inch or two for them to splash around in. when done, dump it down one of the many drains on the deck.

i had several other parents of young children comment that they should have done the same thing.

it also worked great on our balcony. it was small. we actually gave her her bath out there a couple of days.

i think most of the naysayers on this thread just aren't tuned into this kind of thing. if you had told me to do this before kids i would have thought it was nuts and never done. but when you have little ones you just tune into this stuff more. odds are people have done it on ships you are on....just obviously you choose a more out of the way area.

Archived