Spirit Class Cat 11 vs. Cat 12

KatWag

DH and I have a Cat 12 on Pride booked but I just saw some pics which show the balcony and it was much smaller than I expected. (I was expecting to have lounge chairs - circulation issues and I need to be able to elevate my legs.)

Now I see that the balcony doesn't look very wide and the furniture is only two regular chairs and a table.

We're wondering if it is still worth paying the extra $1,200 for the cat 12. Even wondering if we should bother with the Cat 11, at this stage. Maybe just go with the regular extended balcony room? I'm guessing there won't be any VIP boarding in Baltimore since it isn't one of their major ports. And I think thats the only perk since we're not platinum (or whatever the level is called) on Carnival. :)

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm really not sure what to do at this point.

Thanks!

Kathy

Don't know if this will help - it's a crummy shot but it should give you some idea of an extended bacony on the Spirit. This was in 2006. We didn't have a lounge chair but I think one would have fit.

I haven't been in a cat 11 or 12 on Spirit class yet (have a cat 11 coming up). Just looking at deck plans the "side" cat 11 balconies look significantly larger than this "side" cat 8 extended balcony. If you can snag a cat 11 aft wrap, those look HUGE.

2420910800103786027S600x600Q85.jpg

The aft wraps are very large, but they may already be gone because there are not many of them.

Carnival does not put lounge chairs on their balconies, except for the aft wraps if I remember correctly. The balcony on the Cat 12 suites is deep, like the picture old sole is showing, and they are also wider.

Unless you want the extra cabin space, an extended balcony is plently spacious and a lot less money. You might also try a 9A or an 8I which are less then suites, but bigger than standard and extended balconies.

I think that a lounge chair would definitely fit on either the cat 11 or 12 balconies, so if it's just two of you going, you might save money and take the 11. I think the only difference between the two is size. I'm not sure if one would fit on an extended balcony or not, but they might.

On every cruise I've been on, I've always seen at least a couple stacks of lounges on the top decks. I think if you asked, your cabin steward could probably get one for you. I've not done it, but I don't see where it should be a problem.

I've been on Spirit class in Cat 12 and they always have one lounger and two chairs and one small table. The cabin steward asked if we wanted a second lounger (that would be a bit tight I think - unless we get rid of one of the regular chairs).

We love the Cat 12 for the extra space though...lets each of us have "elbow room" so we don't drive each other nuts (especially on rainy days). :D

DH and I have a Cat 12 on Pride booked but I just saw some pics which show the balcony and it was much smaller than I expected. (I was expecting to have lounge chairs - circulation issues and I need to be able to elevate my legs.)

I was on the Pride earlier this year and had 4228. The balcony was HUGE and the separate bedroom was nice too. Only thing to think about if you have leg issues, is the walking back and forth. With a 12 you're center of the ship.

wrap1.jpg.9b841c270f33d7544996feea303de431.jpg

wrap2.jpg.272161c18cce31d7b40be9a25231deb1.jpg

pride2.jpg.ae33fe22b3c6ee2342931714a9e43ff5.jpg

I was on the Pride earlier this year and had 4228. The balcony was HUGE and the separate bedroom was nice too. Only thing to think about if you have leg issues, is the walking back and forth. With a 12 you're center of the ship.

Do you have any pictures of the interior of the cabin??

If you can get an aft wrap, which is a cat. 11, we HIGHLY recommend them! We had one on our Miracle cruise, and it was just perfect in every way. And ours was considered the "least desirable of the aft wraps" on deck 5 but was still perfect!

As for any extra walking, we found that there is actually less walking at the aft of the ship. You just take the elevator to the dining room or Lido, and you're right where you want to be to dine. So the only extra walking would be to go to the show lounge or stores, which are at the front of the ship.

Hubby and I went on the Legend in Nov 08 and had a category 11 aft suite. It was awesome and we are going back on the same cruise, same room in November 09. We had a corner aft suit 7298 it had a huge balcony (could fit 20 people) and had two rooms. Separate bedroom and sitting area. We loved the two separate rooms could shut the door if one up earlier or later than the other and both had tvs. The bedroom had a walk in closet which was great. Plenty of storage for two. Had a separate vanity area and the bathroom had two sinks and a tub. All the Spirit class (Legend is one of the Spirit class ships) rooms I believe are arranged the same. The distance to main dining room was close by, walk to elevator down the hall and go to level 3 get off and then you're there. I thought the cost of this room was a good value. Also, we experienced very little motion and no noise (I'm am easily sea sick and intially was anxious about aft rooms) Hope this helps you and others who may have questions with category 11.:)

I was in a midship Cat 12 on the Spirit this month (just got back on Thursday).

There were 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs and a table on our balcony. Plenty of room to accomodate all.

As far as cost goes...no I wouldn't pay an extra $1200 for a Cat 12 vs Cat 11. I originally booked a Cat 11, and Carnival called me mid-December and offered to upsell me into a Cat 12 for $200 which I took. $1200 is not worth it for what I found to basically be a supersized Cat 11 room -- same accomodations and layout as a Cat 11 but with another closet (which I didn't use), another set of drawers (which I didn't use), and more empty space in the middle of the room inbetween the bed and the couch/chairs.

The Aft Category 11 Cabins on the Spirit Class ships are wonderful. On our last cruise, my sister and her husband had one and we spent a lot of time on their balcony. We had an extended Balcony cabin and it was nice also, but the CAT 11's are to die for...

2388823760104228551xQwTTt_th.jpg

2448377850104228551zbsZKw_th.jpg

2216673740104228551IjhzSu_th.jpg

2871635820104228551BYrGCc_th.jpg

2252096090104228551hNXfRl_th.jpg

2660508320104228551LHimGm_th.jpg

Hubby and I went on the Legend in Nov 08 and had a category 11 aft suite. It was awesome and we are going back on the same cruise, same room in November 09. We had a corner aft suit 7298 it had a huge balcony (could fit 20 people) and had two rooms. Separate bedroom and sitting area. We loved the two separate rooms could shut the door if one up earlier or later than the other and both had tvs. The bedroom had a walk in closet which was great. Plenty of storage for two. Had a separate vanity area and the bathroom had two sinks and a tub. All the Spirit class (Legend is one of the Spirit class ships) rooms I believe are arranged the same. The distance to main dining room was close by, walk to elevator down the hall and go to level 3 get off and then you're there. I thought the cost of this room was a good value. Also, we experienced very little motion and no noise (I'm am easily sea sick and intially was anxious about aft rooms) Hope this helps you and others who may have questions with category 11.:)

That was our cabin this past May! It was the best we've ever had and will for sure look for Spirit class aft-wraps in the future.

Here's a link to our webshots photos from the cruise - near the end of the album are some 7298 interior cabin pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/Joepeka

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm wondering. Most of the aft wrap cat 11 balcony pics I've seen show little shade. Are any of them covered? My sun-sensitive DH would like like lobster if he sat on an uncovered balcony. :)

Archived