Why switch to Princess?

Adkmom

My family and a group of our CC friends have had great experiences with NCL however in the past year we have traveled separately on 3 different NCL ships and found them lacking in the areas customer service, food quality, diversity of activity times, shore excursions and overall atmosphere.Why should we consider switching to Princess Cruise lines will they offer us a better experience for the price?

My family and a group of our CC friends have had great experiences with NCL however in the past year we have traveled separately on 3 different NCL ships and found them lacking in the areas customer service, food quality, diversity of activity times, shore excursions and overall atmosphere.Why should we consider switching to Princess Cruise lines will they offer us a better experience for the price?
Well if you really have had all those problems why would you hesitate to give Princess a try? From what you are saying it couldn't be any worse. I am surprised, I don't know what problems you have had with NCL or what ship. We just got off the Spirit early in Dec and with the exception of the steaks one night and our cabin steward we couldn't have had things more perfect. The food was improved over the cruise the year before, the service was friendly and fast but still relaxed, we found enough to do as NCL cruises are always so port intensive we hardly had time to do all we wanted to do.

Now, as far as Princess goes, I think the entree are better as they seem to have more seafood which is my passion. Breakfast for us, both mornings we ate in the dining room was bad, but that could have just been those 2 mornings. We prefer the buffet for breakfast pretty much anyway. We do like NCLs buffet better, and yet a buffet is a buffet. NCL has a huge salad bar just recently added at lunch in the buffet, Princess had one but not as elaborate. I like the way NCLs freestyle works a little better than personal choice, but both are similar and the only way to go for us.

The cabins are almost the same, NCL has better bathrooms, Princess has a better dressing area.

The shows are about equal, with Princess having slightly better on board activities.

I think you should give Princess a try, if you can cruise for about the same price what do you have to lose? By the way, if you do choose Princess make sure you eat in Sabatinis. It is a truely fun experience but allow a couple of hours and go with a totally empty tummy.

Nita

Princess offers a really good product that we keep coming back to even after being on HAL, Cunard and NCL.

If you're not happy with any cruise line, why not see what's out there? Why stick with something you're not happy with? NCL and Princess are pretty well matched - they both offer lots of activities, they both have beautiful new ships, and they both offer a freestyle/anytime dining alternative. I feel Princess excels a little more in the service department (NCL's good, I just find Princess is more well rounded & polished), and frankly, I enjoy Movies Under the Stars :)

Good luck with your decision!

My upcoming cruise will be my first with Princess. I've been on different lines' ships, as I'm looking at the itenerary, not the cruiseline. So far I've been quite satisfied with all the ships I've been on.

I'm all for trying new things, so my answer to your question is: Why NOT give Princess a try? I liked Princess enough the first time to go back for more twice. Are they perfect? No. So what. Their ships are beautiful--bathroom definitely better on NCL but you lose some cabin space which you gain on Princess--food is good, entertainment and games are fun. All my cruises have been wonderful vacations.

ENJOY

Thanks for input thus far. How are the preteen teen programs on princess?

Do they charge extra for every little thing like NCL?

by charging extra, what do you mean? I haven't found any line that charges muc differently than any other line. Of course RCI now charges for room service after a certain time at night, all lines charge for bottled water, Princess will have about the same juice selection at breakfast NCL has with only tea and coffee pretty much at lunch. They have sur charge dining as well as 2 regular dining rooms. They do not offer anything like Blue Lagoon, but the buffet is open more hours. So what are you asking? Are you referring to the cost of photos? Yes, they are outragious, that is why we never buy one on any cruise, anymore. We don't even bother to look at them. They do have the Art Auction just like NCL and other lines as well as martini and wine tasting clinics.

Nita

My family and a group of our CC friends have had great experiences with NCL however in the past year we have traveled separately on 3 different NCL ships and found them lacking in the areas customer service, food quality, diversity of activity times, shore excursions and overall atmosphere. I so agree, we did too! Why should we consider switching to Princess Cruise lines will they offer us a better experience for the price?
We think so.....We like the food better/the activities are varied for all age groups/the ships are cleaner/the shows are way better/the pools are fresh water/the ships are cleaner and not "garishly" decorated/the cabins are nicer with lots more storage (I particularly love this feature).

You'll love Princess!

I have very limited experience but I thought I'd chime in. I have cruised three times before, going on a 4th in March and I've chosen Princess, partially because they had a sale and partially because I really loved my last cruise on Sapphire Princess. I've never sailed NCL before but every time I mention it to my TA, he rolls his eyes and tells me that NCL possibly has the worse customer ratings of any cruise line (sorry to those who love NCL, just a messenger here! :p). A friend of mine who did a recent NCL cruise over the holidays confirmed this, he told me the service was awful, the ship was in marked disrepair and the food was very average.

I've sailed Princess, Celebrity, Carnival and Royal Carribean and must say Princess and Celebrity are the best, almost equal. I guess it depends on the ship and the staff on that cruise. But Princess had very polite (ultra polite) service staff, both in the staterooms and especially in the dining rooms. There are those who say that the food has gone downhill, it may be true but Princess and Celebrity had the best quality and freshest food. The entertainment I think is similar on all ships, personal taste.

Good luck, I'd definitely recommend Princess!

I have very limited experience but I thought I'd chime in. I have cruised three times before, going on a 4th in March and I've chosen Princess, partially because they had a sale and partially because I really loved my last cruise on Sapphire Princess. I've never sailed NCL before but every time I mention it to my TA, he rolls his eyes and tells me that NCL possibly has the worse customer ratings of any cruise line (sorry to those who love NCL, just a messenger here! :p). A friend of mine who did a recent NCL cruise over the holidays confirmed this, he told me the service was awful, the ship was in marked disrepair and the food was very average.

I've sailed Princess, Celebrity, Carnival and Royal Carribean and must say Princess and Celebrity are the best, almost equal. I guess it depends on the ship and the staff on that cruise. But Princess had very polite (ultra polite) service staff, both in the staterooms and especially in the dining rooms. There are those who say that the food has gone downhill, it may be true but Princess and Celebrity had the best quality and freshest food. The entertainment I think is similar on all ships, personal taste.

Good luck, I'd definitely recommend Princess!

I don't know what ship your friend was on, but almost everyone of NCLs ships are less than 10 years old and not in need of any repair. Plus the older ships even those 7 years old just got all new bedding, carpets and lots of other upgrades, so i can't imagine what he is taliking about...As for the food, this is a subjective topic as we all know. I do enjoy Princess' entrees better, but NCL has better cold soups and a much nicer buffet salad bar. Overall I would give the nob to Princess for food. Celebrity has its ups and downs like all lines. I think all lines, though each has a niche are very much alike and should be judged on the individual ship.

As for your travel agent, well everyone has his/her own idea about cruising and what lines are the best. I personally have always felt it is very unprofessional for an agent to give his/her opinion unless asked outright. Just because I may prefer Carnival does not mean this will fit my clients needs. I have been in the business many years, have worked for 2 very large companies and if my bosses heard me show preferance for one line over the other I would be called on the carpet...Again, this does not mean we don't have our favorites, of course we do...

Nita

Anyone and I do mean ANYONE who states that NCL's buffets are better or even equal to any other cruiselines buffet is simply not stating the truth or has done a complete review of all other cruiselines.

My DH has been a chef for many years and truly studied each cruiselines food choices and layouts in their buffet areas. Amongst the mass market lines and this is how he rated them: 1. Princess 2. Celebrity 3. Holland America 4. Carnival 5. RCCL 6. NCL

NCL's buffets are very similar to "cafeteria syle" buffets. The food is served in metal containers with very little care given to the set-up. The beverages are also served in a very "hap/hazard" sort of way, in a center island that is more like "Hometown Buffet".

The food is not as palatable as Princess, Celebrity or HAL. It just isn't. Subjectiveness or not!

No cruise ship has the perfect design when it comes to the layout of the buffet area. He doesn't think any one of them is better than the other, when it comes to this.

We also found NCL to have a "worn & torn" kind of feel to it. In our cabin was a chair that had several holes in it. We called to have it replaced. The staff is very "put-offish" and not at all as helpful as Princess.

Design and decor of a cruiseship is very important to me.....NCL uses aluminum chairs and cots.

I won't do NCL again, no matter what the itinerary or price.....I never felt that I was getting my monies worth onboard the Star.

Anyone and I do mean ANYONE who states that NCL's buffets are better or even equal to any other cruiselines buffet is simply not stating the truth or has done a complete review of all other cruiselines.

My DH has been a chef for many years and truly studied each cruiselines food choices and layouts in their buffet areas. Amongst the mass market lines and this is how he rated them: 1. Princess 2. Celebrity 3. Holland America 4. Carnival 5. RCCL 6. NCL

NCL's buffets are very similar to "cafeteria syle" buffets. The food is served in metal containers with very little care given to the set-up. The beverages are also served in a very "hap/hazard" sort of way, in a center island that is more like "Hometown Buffet".

The food is not as palatable as Princess, Celebrity or HAL. It just isn't. Subjectiveness or not!

No cruise ship has the perfect design when it comes to the layout of the buffet area. He doesn't think any one of them is better than the other, when it comes to this.

We also found NCL to have a "worn & torn" kind of feel to it. In our cabin was a chair that had several holes in it. We called to have it replaced. The staff is very "put-offish" and not at all as helpful as Princess.

Design and decor of a cruiseship is very important to me.....NCL uses aluminum chairs and cots.

I won't do NCL again, no matter what the itinerary or price.....I never felt that I was getting my monies worth onboard the Star.

Roz, you have spent many hours blasting NCL which is your right. I was just on the Spirit last month. I have cruised every mass marketed line and I can assure you, though I have never said NCL has the best food (they do not in my opinion) the lunch buffet was outstanding. The salad bar was better than HALs which I didn't think I would ever say, they had several dishes for vegetarian, which is a big addition and needed,every day they had either barron of beef, pork loin of ham and turkey being carved plus a pasta station and an asian station. Of course they had a sandwhich station as well. This is in addition to the outside grill. Their buffet is much improved since we sailed them last year (2007) It is still a buffet and no one would ever say a buffet was gourmet. I agree with you about the buffet on the Star, again that was then, not now...No one would ever suggest you try NCl or any other line again, but no one can judge an entire line by one cruise either. If I had done that I would never cruise Princess again. My first experience wasn't great, but I don't judge an entire line by one ship.

By the way, you love to tell us about your husband being a chef, I have my degree in food and nutrician so I know a little about food as well.

Again, you have every right to your opinion about any cruise line, I just ask that you don't judge an entire line by one experience. I love a certain hotel chain, but have had some less than great experiences at some of their hotels.

The op wanted to know if she should try, Princess? Of course she should, she is unhappy with NCL even though she used to like them. I don't think she asked any of us to come to this board and blast away...

Nita

We are just of the NCL Jewel in early January.

As you might see from my signature, we have dabbled with several cruise lines over the past 8-9 years. Celebrity notwithstanding, we have found Princess to be our favored line. We like the 'freestyle' offering, but NCL has placed restrictions on making reservations. PRincess offers the best of both worlds, reserved sittings OR the ability to dine anytime AND make reservations to boot.

Princess also offers the option of shared tables, which we find a great way to make new acquaintances and friends. The onboard activities seem to be more varied and more frequent, and the ships seem better appointed.

We DID enjoy our earlier cruises with NCL, pre-Princess, but feel the are not on the same page, value wise as of now.

NCL's dance troupe is still one of teh best at sea, though.

Having sailed on both, I'd rate Princess a step or two above NCL. Specifics are hard to pinpoint, but I generally enjoy the Princess way of running a cruise ship just a little bit more than how NCL does things. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to take an NCL cruise if I thought the value was there.

Having sailed on both, I'd rate Princess a step or two above NCL. Specifics are hard to pinpoint, but I generally enjoy the Princess way of running a cruise ship just a little bit more than how NCL does things. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to take an NCL cruise if I thought the value was there.

Sackman, you are one of the few I would agree with no questions asked except we slightly prefer NCL over Princess, but basically you are right. They are quite similar. The only reason we put NCL above Princess is; we like the way NCL freestyle works over "personal choice' plus more dining choices. Otherwise they are even in our minds. We will do Princess this year and maybe NCl as well.

Nita

We have also done both, 5 princess, and 3 NCL. I would not hesitate to book another NCL, even though it has been a few years, 2005 I believe. We are definately not foodies, and find the choices on each to suit our needs. Loved the pool area cook outs on NCL, and don't know if they still do that. Food as sated, is a very subjective area to each persons expectations and desires.

We have been on the Sea, Wind, and the Star, with some of the best customer service we have seen in 9 cruises. Last 4 cruises on princess, mostly for itinerary, and have found service to be about the same.

Bottom line, we like them both, and if one peas me off, or doesn't really have to, I would not hesitate to go to the other. What one person likes, another will hate. JMHO

We have also done both, 5 princess, and 3 NCL. I would not hesitate to book another NCL, even though it has been a few years, 2005 I believe. We are definately not foodies, and find the choices on each to suit our needs. Loved the pool area cook outs on NCL, and don't know if they still do that. Food as sated, is a very subjective area to each persons expectations and desires.

We have been on the Sea, Wind, and the Star, with some of the best customer service we have seen in 9 cruises. Last 4 cruises on princess, mostly for itinerary, and have found service to be about the same.

Bottom line, we like them both, and if one peas me off, or doesn't really have to, I would not hesitate to go to the other. What one person likes, another will hate. JMHO

great points nceyeguy. If you liked those NCL ships you need to try the Jewel or one of the Jewel class ships. We too agree, both lines offer a good product for the bucks. Our criteria is itinerary then price. all being somewhat equal we usually opt for NCL, but we are always open.

Nita

Try it you'll like it!!!!:) We've only been on one NCL cruise and you can hardly compare cruiselines on one cruise. Buttttt!!!!;) our NCL cruise on the Sun wasn't even close to any of our 4 Princess cruise experiences. As far as food & service go, we haven't noticed much of a difference between any of the 4 lines we've used. It's adequate and can be hit or miss depending on that particular cruise.

Differences we noticed between Princess & NCL: Number one and the biggest one of all, Ship decor. Not even close, Princess ships (we felt) have a much nicer decor. As stated before, a casual elegance. NCL Sun-Blah!!!. Second major factor: Private Island. NCL seriously needs to redo that thing. Looks like it was set up in the 70's and not much done to it since then. Crowded and really kinda dirty feelin. For comparison purposes, we did sail the Princess Sun which was smaller & older than the NCL Sun and it still wasn't close.

Also felt that "Freestyle" was more of a marketing term than actuality. We only had 3 restaurant options (at least on the Sun) that were included in the price and two of them offered the same menu.:rolleyes: And don't even get me started about trying to get a bottle of booze ordered for the room, that was like an act of God.:mad:

This is starting to sound like a rant but we did have a good time and I would like to try one of NCL's larger and newer ships one of these days.

Try it you'll like it!!!!:) We've only been on one NCL cruise and you can hardly compare cruiselines on one cruise. Buttttt!!!!;) our NCL cruise on the Sun wasn't even close to any of our 4 Princess cruise experiences. As far as food & service go, we haven't noticed much of a difference between any of the 4 lines we've used. It's adequate and can be hit or miss depending on that particular cruise.

Differences we noticed between Princess & NCL: Number one and the biggest one of all, Ship decor. Not even close, Princess ships (we felt) have a much nicer decor. As stated before, a casual elegance. NCL Sun-Blah!!!. Second major factor: Private Island. NCL seriously needs to redo that thing. Looks like it was set up in the 70's and not much done to it since then. Crowded and really kinda dirty feelin. For comparison purposes, we did sail the Princess Sun which was smaller & older than the NCL Sun and it still wasn't close.

Also felt that "Freestyle" was more of a marketing term than actuality. We only had 3 restaurant options (at least on the Sun) that were included in the price and two of them offered the same menu.:rolleyes: And don't even get me started about trying to get a bottle of booze ordered for the room, that was like an act of God.:mad:

This is starting to sound like a rant but we did have a good time and I would like to try one of NCL's larger and newer ships one of these days.

oh, you had the two main dining rooms (yes with the same menu) but many lines don't offer two main dining rooms, you had the buffet, you had Las Rambles and Pacific Heights plus the sports bar serves sandwhiches, salads and other comfort food and the outside grill serves much of the time. I think that is a little more than 3 choices. Am I wrong here or can I not count. As for ordering a bottle of booze, you can't even get one on Princess unless you count .375 a bottle of booze...We have never had any trouble with NCL, we just do a bar set up prior to sailing like we do with Celebrity and HAL.

You do have a right to your opinions, I just don't think you were aware of the choices you had. Yes, the newer ships are very nice, but Princess does have a more subdued decor. I love the NCL energy, some think it is gaudy. I can understand why..Of course I also love the Sun, one of my favorite ships. We always hear food is subjective, I think cruising period is subjective...

Nita

I don't know what ship your friend was on, but almost everyone of NCLs ships are less than 10 years old and not in need of any repair. Plus the older ships even those 7 years old just got all new bedding, carpets and lots of other upgrades, so i can't imagine what he is taliking about...As for the food, this is a subjective topic as we all know. I do enjoy Princess' entrees better, but NCL has better cold soups and a much nicer buffet salad bar. Overall I would give the nob to Princess for food. Celebrity has its ups and downs like all lines. I think all lines, though each has a niche are very much alike and should be judged on the individual ship.

As for your travel agent, well everyone has his/her own idea about cruising and what lines are the best. I personally have always felt it is very unprofessional for an agent to give his/her opinion unless asked outright. Just because I may prefer Carnival does not mean this will fit my clients needs. I have been in the business many years, have worked for 2 very large companies and if my bosses heard me show preferance for one line over the other I would be called on the carpet...Again, this does not mean we don't have our favorites, of course we do...

Nita

I respect the fact you like NCL Nita, I was just sharing my views and what my colleague told me, doesn't mean he is right or wrong, it is what it is.

As for the travel agent, I've been with this guy for a long time, I feel I trust him and he's gotten me great deals. For me PERSONALLY, I totally appreciate him telling me about cruiselines he has experienced through his clients as being not up to par. Perhaps he should not have rolled his eyes, and maybe I'm exaggerating, but I really value his recommendations. I do not find it the slightest bit unprofessional.

Bottom line, it comes to personal preference.

I respect the fact you like NCL Nita, I was just sharing my views and what my colleague told me, doesn't mean he is right or wrong, it is what it is.

As for the travel agent, I've been with this guy for a long time, I feel I trust him and he's gotten me great deals. For me PERSONALLY, I totally appreciate him telling me about cruiselines he has experienced through his clients as being not up to par. Perhaps he should not have rolled his eyes, and maybe I'm exaggerating, but I really value his recommendations. I do not find it the slightest bit unprofessional.

Bottom line, it comes to personal preference.

it does and you are right. Of course if he has been your agent for years he would share his views with you, I would do the same, but for an agent (who is not a friend or a long time consultant) to voice opinions is not professional as I see it and so does my boss. I don't think I have ever let a cliant know my personal feelings about any line or resort. If they ask me, I will tell them what I have experienced, but will also add, this is just my personal opinion. I don't care for a couple of lines out there, but I would never discourage clients from cruising them. I just did a couple of reservations a few hours ago on a line I wouldn't cruise. I gave the passengers 4 cruise choices and they took this one.

Again, the cleanliness thing does bother me as this is not what one thinks of when the think of what might be wrong with NCL. Check their CDC ratings... I heard the same thing about the Golden before we cruised her last year. Two or three reviews mentioned she was run down, dirty and showing her age. I spent a week trying to figure out what they saw that i couldn't find...Oh, I did see one tile near the hot tub that had a little mold on it...

Nita

Aluminum chairs and cots???not sure u have your facts straight....Which ship has this cause I didnt see that:rolleyes:..."Worn and Torn"....thats equally interesting considering all of NCL's ships are under 10 years old with the ex. of 1.....sorry had to chime in with that:cool:

Aluminum chairs and cots???not sure u have your facts straight....Which ship has this cause I didnt see that:rolleyes:..."Worn and Torn"....thats equally interesting considering all of NCL's ships are under 10 years old with the ex. of 1.....sorry had to chime in with that:cool:

you are right, they do not have alum chairs and the beds certainly are not cots. In fact since this summer the matresses have all been replaced and all linens are updated. The beds were really comfortable. She may have sailed prior to the new matresses, I don't know but I do know they were not cots.

Nita

you are right, they do not have alum chairs and the beds certainly are not cots. In fact since this summer the matresses have all been replaced and all linens are updated. The beds were really comfortable. She may have sailed prior to the new matresses, I don't know but I do know they were not cots.

Nita

Im excited to try Princess in May, im sure it will be different from NCL just like RCCL was different but I dont trash one line over the other.....that isnt what this website is about......different opinions yes but dont make stuff up.....Nita with 18,000 posts Im sure you know what I mean.....youve probably heard it all...lol;)

Archived