Pre-cruise questions for Seattle

judyf

I wasn't sure if I should do one large post with a general topic or start new threads. I decided for others that might use the search feature new threads with a detailed topic was better. Hope I was correct :D

Our flight is arriving in Seattle late Thursday evening May 21 and our cruise sails on Sunday May 24th.

I have not booked any hotels yet as I want to see want we plan to do first so we could get a hotel with the least amount of driving time.

We are 2 couples early 50's active but not into long hikes ;) first time for all of us in the northwest and Alaska.

If you had 2 full days pre cruise and was sailing out of Seattle what would be the best use of this time. I'm not big into shopping and spending lots of time eating in restaurants, we like to see and do things instead. See wildlife is a top priority for us.

We will most likely rent a van as I have read you can rent at the airport with thrifty and return at the pier no extra fees.

We also have all day Sunday after the cruise as our flight is not till 10pm, will again most likely rent a van.

Any tips on what would be the best things for us to do? Is driving and staying in Canada a better idea? We also don't have any issues to stay in different hotels for the Fri. Sat. nights. Thursday night we will be dead tried as we all have to work that day and we're arriving 11 pm Seattle time which I thing will be 1am NY time.

Sorry this got to be so long but wanted to give a lot of back ground info.

Thanks to everyone that posts and shres info on CC.:cool:

hikes (easy) in & around Seattle. You don't have to go far to see "nature." It would be an all day schlep to Mt St. Helens but that would be an option since you'll have a van. You could go to Canada but that time of year, the borders have long back ups so you'd spend way too much time in your car. You could make an early drive up to Anacortes & take the WA Ferry over to Friday Harbor, very scenic. Since there is so much to do, you might want to take a look at an overall guide to the NW from your library or Barnes & Noble. While 2 days is nice, you can barely scratch the surface in that amount of time when it comes to "nature" around here. Enjoy.

There's so much to do in the Seattle area. Check out the following websites for ideas:

Seattle.gov

VisitSeattle.org

StayInWashington.com

Think about getting a Go Seattle card - it includes admission to most of the highlights

I like to take visitors on the Seattle Underground tour in Pioneer Square.

The Mariners are at home that week-end (22-24); they're playing against the Giants. And Safeco field is within walking distance of the cruise terminal.

There's always heavy traffic around Seattle, and it's worse if there's any type of event going on. I recommend staying around the city and using public trans to get around. Otherwise you might spend more of your time in the van seeing traffic than seeing anything else.

Explore those web sites and you should find more than enough to keep you busy before and after your cruise.

I wouldn't wait too much longer before booking a hotel for your pre-cruise weekend. That is Memorial Day weekend and there is a big festival in Seattle that weekend.

Oh No that means the prices will be higher too.

Thanks for the heads up. I should focus of this part first then.

And Safeco field is within walking distance of the cruise terminal.

Just an FYI Safeco Field was close to Terminal 30 which was used last year by some lines but is not going to be used in the future (they've already torn down the cruise building at Terminal 30).

The lines that used Terminal 30 are scheduled to move to Pier 91, in the Magnolia area.

Just an FYI Safeco Field was close to Terminal 30 which was used last year by some lines but is not going to be used in the future (they've already torn down the cruise building at Terminal 30).

The lines that used Terminal 30 are scheduled to move to Pier 91, in the Magnolia area.

You're getting better at this by the day, you Alaska native, you.:D

You're getting better at this by the day, you Alaska native, you.:D

There are some weeks though that I'm suddenly glad I moved to Arkansas - you know where it's merely cold instead of brutally cold.

There are so many interesting things to experience in Seattle! The Underground tour, the Duck Tour, which takes you around Lake Union and to Safeco Field if the Marniers are not in town, Pike's Market, to name a few. If you are renting a van you can drive to Mount Rainier! But you don't need a van. It is a walkable city. We walked everywhere. Tillicum Village if you are interested in Native American culture.

There are so many interesting things to experience in Seattle! The Underground tour, the Duck Tour, which takes you around Lake Union and to Safeco Field if the Marniers are not in town, Pike's Market, to name a few. If you are renting a van you can drive to Mount Rainier! But you don't need a van. It is a walkable city. We walked everywhere. Tillicum Village if you are interested in Native American culture.

Yes, yes, yes, we are.

I also like those sillt duck tours to get a feel for the area.

Great ideas.

There are some weeks though that I'm suddenly glad I moved to Arkansas - you know where it's merely cold instead of brutally cold.

The past week, since the sun has come out, it hasn't been bad at all. I took the fleece out of my three in one and am just wearing the shell. But I'm thinking winter is not done with us yet, though....

I wouldn't wait too much longer before booking a hotel for your pre-cruise weekend. That is Memorial Day weekend and there is a big festival in Seattle that weekend.
The festival is the Northwest Folk Life Festival (at Seattle Center) which caters more to locals than to visitors, but it will result in a lot of local congestion around the center. But any holiday weekend is tight in hotel space, so pre-booking is a very good idea.

The festival is the Northwest Folk Life Festival (at Seattle Center) which caters more to locals than to visitors, but it will result in a lot of local congestion around the center. But any holiday weekend is tight in hotel space, so pre-booking is a very good idea.

Is this a festival that we might be interested as vistors to attend?

I'll add to that liking big crowds, expensive tickets and overloaded public transportation........:o

Nope, doesn't sound like something we want to do with one of our days in Seattle..

Archived