Towel animal and ice requests and tips..

dolphinwyo

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has ever asked for more than 1 towel animal - my 2 kids love these things - it would be nice if they could each have one on their beds....if I asked the Steward should I tip them extra when I ask?

Also - last cruise we had trouble keeping ice in our room, always had to call for it, if I ask Steward to keep it stocked - do I tip extra too?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Leaving on Sunday!!

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has ever asked for more than 1 towel animal - my 2 kids love these things - it would be nice if they could each have one on their beds....if I asked the Steward should I tip them extra when I ask?

Also - last cruise we had trouble keeping ice in our room, always had to call for it, if I ask Steward to keep it stocked - do I tip extra too?

Leaving on Sunday!!

We tip our steward an extra $10 on day 3 & day 5. Our ice bucket was always filled. We never asked for 2 towel animals but I bet if you asked, they'd provide it.

We have had trouble with the ice thing on our last three cruises. Now, if I am asking the steward to keep a cooler I bring aboard filled with ice, I can see an extra tip, but not for keeping the ice bucket Carnival provides full. That seems to me to part of what is expected, so that is not service that "exceeds my expectations."

We sailed on the Paradise when she first came out. My kids at the time were 13 & 10 and shared a cabin. The room steward made them their own towel animal and left it on their bed.

As far as the ice bucket goes.........we always ask that the ice bucket is kept full and have yet to be disappointed.

Karen

Hi

Leaving on Sunday!!

I would definitely extend a gratuity at the time of the request. If everything proceeds well and both requests taken care of, I'd be inclined to give another tip at the end of the cruise, too, with a heartfelt "thank you".

We gave the stateroom attendant $20 with our request (2nd or 3rd day of a 12 night cruise) that he turn off our neighbor's balcony light when servicing their room (we had main dining and they had late). He was so conscientious about doing so and we never had the problem again.

The cabin steward services the cabins twice each day. He will have the ice bucket filled those two times. I believe their hours off are something like 12-4pm; someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong about the hours.

I don't mind getting my own ice if needed during his off times. There are a few 'closets' on each deck that have a Coke machine and ice machine. Just ask the steward where the nearest one is on your deck.:)

Thanks for the idea of the ice closet - I had no idea. Last cruise, unfortunately, our ice bucket was NEVER filled, and we were told to call room service in order to get ice. Kind of a hassle. I will take the advice given here - meet our Steward and tell him our requests, give him a tip, and hope for a great week! Going to go finish packing....:)

..... our ice bucket was NEVER filled..:)

Not ever during the entire cruise? I would certainly have called the housekeeping director, or at least spoken to the purser's desk folks about that. It would have been taken care of.

I think there's a little note in the cabins about calling room service for ice when the steward are on their 'time off', with their hours listed.

I as teasing our cabin steward and told him he needed to leave more than one towel animal because we keep fighting over them. The next night, we had 5! LOL:D

I did one 14-night cruise by myself (well, there were other people on the ship, but not in my stateroom!) So each night when I returned to a new "towel creature", I'd carefully move it to the unused bed. By the end of the cruise, I had about a dozen of them arranged there for photos; I'd stand on a chair next to the bed to capture them on my camera.

On the last night of the cruise, my stateroom attendant knocked on my door and asked if he could "collect my zoo"?

Hi

Leaving on Sunday!!

Your room steward leaves ice in the morning and evening. They work mornings and evenings. If you need ice in between his working hours, call room service....they'll bring you a bucket full....don't forget to tip the guy who delivers it.

As for towel animals, I suppose you could ask for 2 if you think it's necessary...and yes, I'd tip extra for that.

Your room steward leaves ice in the morning and evening.

I wish that had been the case on our last three cruises, but it wasn't. On our last one, no service at all on several mornings. :( We didn't even meet our steward until we were on our way to Elegant Night Dinner the second day.

The ice bucket should be filled am and pm. I only have a problem when they don't do that. I took mine to the Lido one time as the bucket wasn't filled at those two times.

I didn't know about the closets than Cotton. I did see them on the Thriumph but, no ice machines in them.

On our recent cruise...my sister asked her room stewerd NOT to take apart and replace her towel animal each day. She asked him to just set them together so she could get a photo on the last day...

He not only told her it wasnt a problem, but fussed at her for Killing the seal he'd left the first day! He prompty made her a new one, and added it back to her collection.

We seriously didn't get ice a.m. or p.m. - we had the room cleaned, etc., but no ice was ever left. We also had a Carnival bon voyage gift of a small cooler with beer, and that never had any ice either (no frig in room), I can understand that not being filled without a request - but the ice bucket? We actually never met our steward at all - just know that our room did get cleaned, 1 towel animal appeared each night, and other than the ice thing, needs were being taken care of. Maybe we just kept missing him, I am not sure. I will know to talk to someone if that happens again - I was just told when I called the steward phone line to call room service if I needed ice.

My plans are to hopefully meet the steward right away, give them a tip, and ask for the extra towel animal (and no it isn't necessary, but would be a little nightly treat for the kids, no harm in a little fun for them) DS likes to carry them around (and they fall apart) and DD likes to save them. They have been talking about the towel animals since last cruise.

Either way - should be a great cruise - our first balcony! Thanks for all the input!

I never met my room steward and was never able to reach him the few times I wanted him. I wouldn't have known him if I had bumped into him in the hall. The room was always clean but there was never ice. Maybe I'll make the effort to find him on the first day in case we want anything. Nor was there anything in the cabin telling me he was off duty- I discovered that when I finally called ??? (don't remember) to ask why I never was able to reach him. It would have been nice to have that posted as I did begin to get a bit annoyed after hearing all the wonderful things they would do.

I dont think the problem is getting enough ice. I think it is the AWFUL ice buckets on cruise ships. I have been on 11 cruises and have never had an insulated one. They are literally a bucket. My ice buckets at home are insulated and keep ice for many hours. And they are also pitifully small on the ships. Heaven forbid we want a few drinks. On our last cruise on Princess I asked for a Champagne bucket. It was in the room that evening after dinner which is precisely when I like the ice. I also wrap a large bath towel around the "bucket" and it helps a bit. If the fridge can take it I put the bucket in there. I love ice and a Coke when I awake. My running around the halls in a robe with "bed head" looking for an ice machine isnt a pretty sight.

I always thought that ice machines like they have in hotels would be a great idea on ships.

We just got off the Valor Sunday. We had the best room steward, Patrick. He introduced himself on day one, told us his working hours, and asked if we had any special requests. We told him that we wanted a lot of ice in the room. (We smuggled beer and also brought on pop and water). He said, "No problem, I'm your guy". That night he came to the room with a full size igloo cooler filled with ice and for the rest of the week he kept it filled with ice and all of our beverages!

I wish that had been the case on our last three cruises, but it wasn't. On our last one, no service at all on several mornings. :( We didn't even meet our steward until we were on our way to Elegant Night Dinner the second day.

Well, a quick stop at the Guest Services desk would have solved your ice problem by the second day..... And, room stewards are REQUIRED to meet and introduce himself to each passenger under his care within 24 hours...but he doesn't have to chase you down. In addition, you will be asked to sign his roster sheet that he's spoken with you.

If you are out of your cabin when he is on duty upon boarding and during the times he is working, he isn't required to find you... Most folks that I'm aware of make it a point to find him or see him around in the evenings or the next morning and introduce themselves. I've always seen him late on the first night after their luggage duties are over...or no later than the first morning.

Well' date=' a quick stop at the Guest Services desk would have solved your ice problem by the second day..... And, room stewards are REQUIRED to meet and introduce himself to each passenger under his care within 24 hours...but he doesn't have to chase you down. In addition, you will be asked to sign his roster sheet that he's spoken with you.

If you are out of your cabin when he is on duty upon boarding and during the times he is working, he isn't required to find you... Most folks that I'm aware of make it a point to find him or see him around in the evenings or the next morning and introduce themselves. I've always seen him late on the first night after their luggage duties are over...or no later than the first morning.[/quote']

Thanks for the advice.:)

Cotton, our last cruise they kept the ice room locked:mad: I really hate bugging the steward and prefer to do small things myself. Last 2 cruises we were booked right across from the "ice room" On the Triumph, we just walked across the hall and helped ourselves. On the Victory, it stayed locked unless the steward had it open while they were cleaning. If I helped myself, they seemed to get upset when they walked in. Seriously, just trying to help. So, I would usually order a bucket of ice whenever we ordered room service and just tip extra for that.

As another poster said, we would wrap a towel around ours to make it last longer.

Gypsy, they probably saw you coming and said "Quick, lock the door; it's GypsyRose!":D

Really, though, I don't understand them not having the ice room available at all times, as I'm sure folks like us wouldn't mind at all getting our own, at times convenient to us.

About the stewards... I can't imagine not meeting my steward on a cruise. Usually on the first day, after luggage delivery is over. I, like G'ma said, have signed a paper on a clipboard that he had introduced himself; other times, I haven't signed anything....but I always, always meet and kinda get to know, my cabin steward. Makes the cruise a little more pleasant.:)

Archived