I am getting a (sea)sick sinking feeling

I booked on the Diamond Princess through ecruise store almost 15 months in advance of the cruise date. The crusie begins March 30th. I paid the cruise in full at that time, I had the money, so I felt, why not! The first sign of trouble was that my credit card was charged twice, 30 days apart for the full price. I did get that resolved, I since have found out I am not the only one this has happened to. For some it has been worse and was not easily resolved. Now all these months have gone by and I am actively planning my trip. I inquired about the port transfer and subsequently request that they book it for me, in addition I spotted what looked like a slightly better cabin location and asked to be moved, that was all done. I mention that it is about time for the final payment, right? The answer was, I don't work that, that is another department (Or I actually think outsourced) very quick curt answer. Later that same evening I am on the Princess website filling out the forms and click on the boarding pass button to find that I could not proceed further as my final payment had been made. I call Princess and inquire about how far in advance they should receive the final payment. I get the usual, you booked through a travel agency, call them. I explained to the Princess rep that I had called the agent and the answer she gave me. But the Princess rep I got noticed something and asked me to hold, It appears she spoted a delinquent whole group of folks where their final payment had been made by this agency. I was told customer service would call the agency. The next day I call the agent and inquire again about the final payment. I mentioned it had not been paid and I could not finish my business with the Princess website. She knew exactly what I was referring to. No you can't get into the boarding pass yet. She then said you should be able to print it out within 14 days of the cruise, don't worry. She said then that she had not yet completed everything on my reservation, ie: set up OBC and wine and whatever and that she had just faxed Princess my air itinerary. It takes at least 72 hours for all this process to take place, she says. Again, this agent is quite curt with me. The payment is overdue and I am feeling nervous. I have heard of travel agancies going out of business and leaving the passengers stranded without their payments being made. Has anyone experienced something like this? Should I be worried? I don't have a very good feeling about this at all.

First of all, your post is really difficult to read because you've underlined everything. It would be very helpful for you to make sure you turn that feature off when you post in futgure.

Regarding your cruise - call the travel agent back first thing in the morning and insist on her submitting payment and getting your receipt for payment in full immediately. If she will not comply, speak to the agency manager and find out what is going on and what the status of your cruise is. You need to get this resolved now - don't wait for 14 days before sailing. If the agent is curt with you - be firm right back and insist on speaking with her supervisor or manager. There are legal ramifications involved as well; you've paid your money and things aren't as they should be. Do not let up; you don't want to miss out on a wonderful cruise vacation.

Please keep us posted.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I am curious ... when you made your payment, were the monies payable to the cruise agency or to Princess? If Princess does not yet show final payment, I'm guessing the agency has been using your monies for a year or more ... and I would be extremely concerned about their liquidity and ability to make your payment to Princess. There have been various threads concerning such payment procedures ... always, always, always be sure that your monies go directly to the cruiseline and that your credit card is processed on behalf of the cruiseline and not the agency. What your agency may have done creates the impression that they are using your money as float and not necessarily holding it in a special account to be used only for your passage.

Let us know how your situation shakes out, please.

I think you should have a sinking feeling.

You paid in full 15 months prior to sailing date and the TA has not paid the cruiseline? Who has been doing what with your money?

I'd call the cruiseline, explain my problem. Keep them on the line, immediatly cancel with the TA, and rebook with the cruiseline. I'd also let the current TA know that you are filing a grievance with your credit card company. I think I'd then send a bill to the TA for interest lost while they held your money.

Archived