Show us your hair!

clover_cruiser

I thought it would be a fun idea to start a hair post.

Have a favourite style or updo that you like to sport? Formal, casual, you pick. Post it here.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm always looking for something new, cute and easy to do with my hair..especially when traveling to a humid climate.

I don't have any pix, but I have to say the best hair tip I've ever learned is this:

Figure out what your hair wants to do and go with it. I have very, very thick and wavy hair. I spent years cutting it short, growing it long, leaving it halfway in between... trying to perm it, trying to straighten it, trying to coax it into some type of submission.

About a year ago I had it cut into layers, the shortest of which is probably 2-3" (at the crown) and the longest just brush my collarbone. I wash it every other day, I don't blowdry it, just let it air dry, smooth a little curling cream in it for shine and keeping the frizzies down. My hair has never, ever looked so good. It's wavy, it's full, it's a little wacky some days but I love it.

The same concept would probably go for straight hair, curly hair, whatever... just go with the flow and it will be lovely AND low-maintenance!

I'm not fond of posting pictures of myself online.

On a good day, my hair looks almost like Paula Deens', only brown and not quite as full:

main_photo_jan_08_09.jpg

Or, at least I want it to :)

My hair is fine, not real thin and not a whole lot of body. I need lots of hairspray to get it looking anywhere close to this thick :p I dry it upside down, then use a round brush and no other implements so it is easy, it takes about 10 minutes to dry. How it lasts is completely dependent on the weather. On a cruise ship during the day, I pull it back, pin it up and wear a visor, no way in the heat or wind will it look good...at all.

Maybe I should take her picture in next time I get a haircut!

I'm not sure if this will work, but this is my hairdo - I have very straight, no body hair. This style is indestructible. Have to wear bangs because of cowlicks across my hairline. If I'm dressing up, I can put it behind my ears and wear flashy earrings. I struggled for years with my hair before having it cut like this - only need to wash it every other day and it takes about five minutes to dry. Other mornings, I just get up and run a brush through it.

I'm always getting stopped by people wanting to know where I have it done - one woman even asked if she could photograph my head so she could take pictures to her salon. She took about five shots from different angles. It's shorter in the back than the front and has long layers.

IMG_3064.jpg.8a5eacfbe1791a4bb3d56e083ebd356f.jpg

Gerif, I think your hair is darling. It looks so thick. I have fine hair in a layered cut and my hair never looks as sleek as yours - the ends end up too dry and not turned under. My stylist recommends rolling the brush all the way to the tips of the hair and keep the hair dryer moving, but it never looks like it does when she does it. There's a reson why she's the professional. Love your color too.

I'm not sure if this will work, but this is my hairdo - I have very straight, no body hair. This style is indestructible. Have to wear bangs because of cowlicks across my hairline. If I'm dressing up, I can put it behind my ears and wear flashy earrings. I struggled for years with my hair before having it cut like this - only need to wash it every other day and it takes about five minutes to dry. Other mornings, I just get up and run a brush through it.

I'm always getting stopped by people wanting to know where I have it done - one woman even asked if she could photograph my head so she could take pictures to her salon. She took about five shots from different angles. It's shorter in the back than the front and has long layers.

What a cute cute style!! love it! and I can see you wearing it dressy with your hair behind your ears... I just may COPY you but I would have it a tad longer since, unfortunately, my face is very round. Thank You, Corkey Carol

gerif your hair is adorable. Mine is that straight, but it would be the wrong look for me. I only wish I could wear it :) I need the height and volume to balance out the shape of my face.

As a former hairstylist, I like that someone took pics of your hair to take to their salon, it's a great idea.

Edit to add, your cat is adorable, too!

Thanks, all - when she cuts my hair, my stylist uses a thinning shears on the bottom, this makes it lie flat against my neck so I really only have to blow out the top layers. Takes only about 5 minutes as opposed to my former do which took at least 1/2 hour, tons of hairspray, and usually looked like a scraggly mess an hour later.

Right now, I haven't had a haircut since September (definitey doing it next week), but it still stays in place, just a few inches longer (I trim the bangs myself). I can add extra height if I feel like it by backcombing the crown and spraying - otherwise, I don't need to use hairspray.

I also do my own color - use L'Oreal "Coulour Experte" (sp?) in the copper color about every third time with Clairol Nice 'N Easy in light auburn in between - I'm 62 and have more than my share of gray.

Thanks, Happy - his name is GC Dragonfyre's Tom Terrific and his first litter is due next week (alas, only one kitten). I breed and exhibit Himalayans in my "spare" time.

:( - I wish more people would post hair pics! I hate my hair and am in desperate need of a haircut before we sail again (Feb. 10th) - but I need to find a new hairdresser and we all know how that goes!

My hair looks better short - short short, not like chin length and I despair of ever finding a pic to get a haircut. My hair is medium brown and sometimes blond (highlights after being done several times) and has waves - not like 'nice' waves - just waves wherever it wants too! If it gets over about 2-3 inches long, let the waves begin! And I need a bit of height on top too - I'll tell ya - my entire life I have had poker straight hair but once I hit about 40, the wave stuff began and I can do nothing with it! ARRGGGHHHHH!!!!! And no 2 days are the same - it can look great one day and horrible the next! I am almost tempted to go buy a wig - at least whatever I chose, I could pop that on and know it would be a good hair day! I have spent the better part of 3 hours today online trying to find a pic of a short hairstyle that I thought would work - nada so far!

Hope more people post pics! And I hope I find a hairstyle and a hairdresser to cut it!

Cindie

I have fine straight hair also. I like long layers so that I can use round brushes or hot rollers to add some curl. I have a round/square shaped face so I try to find photos of people with similar face shapes and hair texture.

My hair is medium brown. I get foil lowlights and highlights, this seems to make my hair feel thicker? I shampoo and condition each day and use Kenra root volumizing serum when I want to give my hair some height.

That said, this length and style usually works best for me, during the summer I let it grow a little longer so I can put it in a ponytail. This is also pretty close to my hair color.

Mariska Hargitay

mariska_hargitay_150.jpg

As a hairdresser, if you really feel you hair needs thinning find yourself a hairdresser who can thin your hair with a open razor, I promise it will be so much better then thinning scissirs ;)...If you have more hair then a thatched cotage then yeah your need thinning shears, but other then that don't go near em Jx.

Ps...Never try a new do just before a holiday.x

One of my favorite hairdressers had a baby and stopped doing hair after 8 yrs- then I had another one for 5 yrs and she too had her 3rd child and left -- then the 3rd steady gal I had after 2 yrs had her 3rd child also and stopped 5 months ago - (she and the 2nd hairdressers are best friends) -- so my undercut shoulder length hair has not been cut for 5 months!! right now it's past my shoulders and I kinda' like it -

hard for me to find one to do a decent undercut on me - I like the way it has more body at the bottom and is thicker - now it hangs straight and it's ok but since I cut my waist length hair 10 yrs ago, it's hard for me to have it long again.

I appreciate all the tips I am reading about hairstyles from this thread... corkey carol

I'm always experimenting with my hair. I'm have naturally wavy red hair (copper color) but I have since played around with lowlights, adding some brown to bring me to a deep auburn. I guess I'm lucky because I can wear my hair straight or curly...either way it takes some product and effort though.

One of my favorite formal styles:

hair1.jpg

The back:

hair2.jpg

My own quick and messy updo (2 ponytails and lots of pins)

hair3.jpg

On hot and humid days (just a bit of gel needed)

hair4.jpg

Curl cream and diffuser:

hair6.jpg

Sraight, sleek and more browns (recent cut)

hair5.jpg

:( - I wish more people would post hair pics! I hate my hair and am in desperate need of a haircut before we sail again (Feb. 10th) - but I need to find a new hairdresser and we all know how that goes!

My hair looks better short - short short, not like chin length and I despair of ever finding a pic to get a haircut. My hair is medium brown and sometimes blond (highlights after being done several times) and has waves - not like 'nice' waves - just waves wherever it wants too! If it gets over about 2-3 inches long, let the waves begin! And I need a bit of height on top too - I'll tell ya - my entire life I have had poker straight hair but once I hit about 40, the wave stuff began and I can do nothing with it! ARRGGGHHHHH!!!!! And no 2 days are the same - it can look great one day and horrible the next! I am almost tempted to go buy a wig - at least whatever I chose, I could pop that on and know it would be a good hair day! I have spent the better part of 3 hours today online trying to find a pic of a short hairstyle that I thought would work - nada so far!

Hope more people post pics! And I hope I find a hairstyle and a hairdresser to cut it!

Cindie

I think you and I have the same hair. Mine is dark brown and I get it cut like Jamie Lee Curtis's. It's been wonderful! The hairdresser razors the top and cuts the sides and back short. I love it, can give it height on top and I can even let it air dry if I want.

Hope this helps.haircut.jpg.5c0114835cc07b5f92a7cccb69918c7f.jpg

One of my favorite hairdressers had a baby and stopped doing hair after 8 yrs- then I had another one for 5 yrs and she too had her 3rd child and left -- then the 3rd steady gal I had after 2 yrs had her 3rd child also and stopped 5 months ago - (she and the 2nd hairdressers are best friends) -- so my undercut shoulder length hair has not been cut for 5 months!! right now it's past my shoulders and I kinda' like it -

hard for me to find one to do a decent undercut on me - I like the way it has more body at the bottom and is thicker - now it hangs straight and it's ok but since I cut my waist length hair 10 yrs ago, it's hard for me to have it long again.

I appreciate all the tips I am reading about hairstyles from this thread... corkey carol

My best tip for you:

Find a male hair stylist!

The very best way to find a good haircutter is to ask people you admire in person. Most people are happy to share the name and sometimes phone number of their stylist. Don't be shy about asking what they pay, you don't have to ask the exact price, just a ballpark figure, more on that later.

Pictures are a great guideline, but stick to pics that represent your hair, not something impossible for your hair to be.

I was a hairstylist for 15 years, left the business a long time ago to raise my kids and I cannot tell you how many people are unrealistic about their hair. Women tend to want the exact opposite of what they have. I know I'm guilty of it myself at times, for once I'd like to know what it feels like to have natural body to my hair!

But....if you want an easier life and not spend hundreds of $$ and many hours at the salon, go with what your hair is capable of doing. A great haircut is worth it, too many times people consider the price first. You are worth it, your hair is your crowning glory and you all deserve to look beautiful every single day, not just the day the hairstylist blows it out for you. The best test of a really good haircut is one you can make look great all by yourself with not a lot of hassle.

A really good haircut will last longer than a not so great haircut, making it a better value than you think it is :) Kind of like buying good quality clothing over cheap pieces that don't last long.

I'm not saying the only good haircuts are the expensive ones, quite the contrary, there are wonderful haircutters out there in all price ranges. When you do find one, stick with them, be loyal and your hair will thank you and you will always look great.

I think you and I have the same hair. Mine is dark brown and I get it cut like Jamie Lee Curtis's. It's been wonderful! The hairdresser razors the top and cuts the sides and back short. I love it, can give it height on top and I can even let it air dry if I want.

Hope this helps.[ATTACH]102243[/ATTACH]

Oh my goodness, I was JUST going to post about JLC's hair. Check it out in Freaky Friday - LOVE it! That's pretty much how my hair is cut, too. I have natural wave, and never use a blow dryer, just a little gel. Straight hair wouldn't need a dryer either I wouldn't think. I LOVE not having to mess with my hair every day - spritz it with water, gel it all piece-y and go. And I get compliments from strangers, too. I guess most women are just afraid of short hair or don't think it would look good on them. Give it a try! Hey, it's just hair; it'll grow!

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to touch on a hair subject that most people don't talk about but is still very prevalent out there.

I am 29 years old and I wear a wig. I have alopecia areata so I have not been able to grow my own hair since I was 4. I'm used to it now and don't even think about it really, but every now and then an event takes place that draws it to my attention. Such as, how do I deal with the wig issue if I wanna go swimming on vacation? Or, how do I keep it on my head in high winds when I want to go on a cruise? Well, because of this, I did a little research. I found an amazing wig that is made for not only all types of water; salt, fresh, and chloronated, but also for high winds. I actually saw a video of a woman skydiving with it on.

I'm very excited because I was able to order it even though I'm deployed in Iraq right now. It took about 8 weeks but it is finally on it's way to my apartment and waiting for me to take on my cruise. It's at a website called Amy's Presence www.amyspresence.com and it's called Cyberhair. Amy Gibson, the owner, helped me personally. They have excellent customer service and can answer just about any question you throw at them. I know, I've seen me do it.

I know not all women wear wigs and not all wear them for the same reason but if there is even one out there who reads this and it helps them enjoy their cruising experience without having to worry about the embarrassments that can come from hair that just won't behave literally, then I feel this posting was worth it.

As soon as I get back home in a couple of weeks I'll take a pic and post it for all. Thank you all for indulging me.

Cheers,

meldam aka "Bald Eagle"

Meldam, thanks so much for posting and most importantly for your tremendous service for all of us. We really appreciate it. It can't be easy to deal w/grooming issues on active duty, but you have a great attitude.

Keep your head/wig down and come home safe and soon!

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to touch on a hair subject that most people don't talk about but is still very prevalent out there.

I am 29 years old and I wear a wig. I have alopecia areata so I have not been able to grow my own hair since I was 4.

Meldam - thank you for posting! I also have alopecia areata and have been looking for a wig like the one you described, something I can put on and not think about and be able to wear no matter what I want to do. I have had alopecia areata since I was 13. It was just small patches of baldness, hardly noticeable, up until 2 years ago when I lost all of my hair at age 52. I looked on line and there is a shop that sells Cyberhair 10 minutes away from my work. I truly thank you for the info!

I hope you do post a photo of you in your Cyberhair. Welcome home! My son is coming back from there in a few weeks also.

Laura

Archived