Live from the Quest - Singapore to Hong kong

Jayayeff

This thread is from my trip in January '09. For any additional info you'll have to wait until those doing the return itinerary from Hong kong to Singapore make their trip at the end of the month (or early April) after the N.E. Asia cruises have been completed...

Anne

Hi Anne

we're doing the same itinerary in 2010 and the one question I have is do they offer excursions in Hong Kong on the debarkation day before dropping guests at the airport??

Thanks

Ken

They did - we were on this cruise (my review has been stuck in the cruise sritics system for a month now) and whilst we did not take them there were some island tours with airport drop off. Remember you also have the day before in Hong Kong. Many peoples flights are quite late that day and there seemed to be an in town check in people were using to leave their luggage and then explore on their own before heading out to the airport

A

Hi Anne

we're doing the same itinerary in 2010 and the one question I have is do they offer excursions in Hong Kong on the debarkation day before dropping guests at the airport??

Thanks

Ken

Ken,

uktog has already responded to your question re this year's itinerary but please bear in mind that next year when Azamara do these cruises they are expected to dock at the Ocean Terminal in Kowloon when making port calls in Hong Kong. This location is far more accessible for visitos to Hong Kong than where we were docked over on Hong Kong Island at the China Merchant's Wharf so arrangements may not necessarily be the same. I had a very late night flight out of Hong Kong on disembarkation day and booked a day room at one of the Kowloon Hotels...

Anne

Traveling solo is a challenge. Smiles go far. I'm glad that you did the solo dining. That maitr'd probably wanted you to just go away. KILL him with kindness. Smile nicely, drop by now and then, and just remind him how unforgetable that solo experience was.....be sure to address him by name several times. I bet he melts. Often when you get a name, people get nervous. The thought that you might single them out annoys them. I'm sure that you'll hook up with other people during the cruise. If so, book a large group table, and enjoy!!

Ken,

uktog has already responded to your question re this year's itinerary but please bear in mind that next year when Azamara do these cruises they are expected to dock at the Ocean Terminal in Kowloon when making port calls in Hong Kong. This location is far more accessible for visitos to Hong Kong than where we were docked over on Hong Kong Island at the China Merchant's Wharf so arrangements may not necessarily be the same. I had a very late night flight out of Hong Kong on disembarkation day and booked a day room at one of the Kowloon Hotels...

Anne

Anne,

This is good info to have when selecting a hotel. Where did you get this info? Thanks.

Anne,

This is good info to have when selecting a hotel. Where did you get this info? Thanks.

From the Ocean Terminal website listings for 2010, and I was also told whilst onboard that next year that is where the ship would be docked. With Azamara being new to this region I believe space was not available for their visits to HongKong this season as it was already reserved by other lines.

Anne

• 2 weeks later...
From the Ocean Terminal website listings for 2010, and I was also told whilst onboard that next year that is where the ship would be docked. With Azamara being new to this region I believe space was not available for their visits to HongKong this season as it was already reserved by other lines.

Anne

Thanks!

Anne, thanks for taking the time to poast your information. I'm still unclear about the Bangkok stop, which I believe is actually some distance from Bangkok. Is that where the ship offered a shuttle to Pattaya? Sorry. I'm just not familiar with this part of the world. Friends who have been to Bangkok twice in the past 2 years have recommended a local guide but I'm somewhat hesitant about lining up a private tour if the arrival time is as uncertain as it was for your trip. My understanding is that the following day doesn't allow much time either. Any advice or comment? We had hoped to arrange for some small purchases with a tailor on the arrival day for delivery the next day. Sounds as if that might not be possible. I was very pleased with your information about Hoi An; looking forward to it. But I fervently hope that our trip next Feb. will not have the bad weather you experienced. I felt queasy even reading about it!

Anne, thanks for taking the time to poast your information. I'm still unclear about the Bangkok stop, which I believe is actually some distance from Bangkok. Is that where the ship offered a shuttle to Pattaya? Sorry. I'm just not familiar with this part of the world. Friends who have been to Bangkok twice in the past 2 years have recommended a local guide but I'm somewhat hesitant about lining up a private tour if the arrival time is as uncertain as it was for your trip. My understanding is that the following day doesn't allow much time either. Any advice or comment? We had hoped to arrange for some small purchases with a tailor on the arrival day for delivery the next day. Sounds as if that might not be possible. I was very pleased with your information about Hoi An; looking forward to it. But I fervently hope that our trip next Feb. will not have the bad weather you experienced. I felt queasy even reading about it!

There are two ports for Bangkok, we used LaemChabang which is almost two hours (depending on traffic/day of the week, etc.) away from Bangkok. However, there is a port closer to the city which the itinerary prior to ours used, so difficult to recommend what is best unless you know which port your cruise will use. The main reason I didn't go into Bangkok was I've been there several times before so didn't need to spend all that time on a coach getting there and back. Several people I knew onboard did overnights to Bangkok (either privately or with Azamara) to maximise their time there, and with the benefit of hindsight I wish I'd done likewise. The Pattaya shuttle was more of a Pattaya on your own as they charged something like $30 for it. However, shopping there is not very good and the place itself is IMHO not nice at all....If you want to take advantage of the fabrics and tailoring I would recommend you go into Bangkok...

Anne

Unfortunately the Ocean terminal belongs to Star Cruises so they call the shots there and I bet they are not at all happy about the competion starting to gain acess to Asia so I would think they are going to make it as hard as possible to get berthing space at the much sort after Ocean Terminal.

HK is currently building a new passenger port out by the OLD airport particularly because ships like the Queen Mary are simply tooo big for the Ocean Terminal anyway. Until recently it was thought this facility would be completed by end of 2010 however do to recent developments in the financial world that is possibly indoubt right now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am on the l8 night Singapore to Hong Kong leaving Dec 22.

Do I need a visa? I saw a post stating that Azamara will get the Vietnam ones. Is that what happened to you? Did you just wait until you were on the ship, and they took care of it? What about China?

I was trying to find someone who did a similar itinerary recently. There is not a lot information on this.

Azamara will sort out your visa for Vietnam on board the ship (not sure what the cost is).

You will need to arrange your own visas for China. Usually you cannot apply more than 3 months ahead of your visit date.

Check out your itinerary for Chinese ports as there are single, double and multi entry visas dependant on how many Chinese ports you visit.

If you visit Beijing and Shanghai - you will need a double entry visa. :)

Thanks. Since I need my visa for the transatlantic, I guess I will get it in early October. I just have to figure out how to get the visa.

The itinerary:

Singapore-5 days (including two pre cruise)

Thailand- 3 days

Vietnam - 6 days

Canton -1 day

Hong Kong - 2 days

I guess I need a single entry... Somewhere I think I read you don't need a visa for Hong Kong.

At least I know I need one. :-)

The whole thing with paying a company to get it or whatever is a little confusing, but I have until October to sort that out.

Jennifer

Have a look back at the Quest Roll calls for Dec08/Jan09/Feb09/Mar09 as there were people cruising on these in Asia who said how they got their Chinese visas from US agents.

I am from the UK so applied in the UK. which won't help you....

I did not need a visa for Hong Kong, but I don't know about US citizens visiting HK.

Yes, by the sounds if it you will need to arrrange your own single-entry visa for Canton. They are not cheap sadly....

Good luck

Linda

I saw the price on some posts last night. I thought it was insane.. the price.

Hindsight, maybe I should have booked a cruise with multiple China ports to get my money's worth from the visa. It never occurred to me.

I bought something when I landed in Chile last year. Maybe that was a visa for that country. Weird how it is so easy to get them for Australia.. by just paying a fee on-line and Chile (if that was a visa) just paying when I arrived. Thank God for cc.

I don't know what is in Canton - whether it is worth going ashore?

We had a port stop in Dalian and to be honest is was OK but nothing special, whereas Bejing & Shanghai were excellent ports.

Your other ports are great!

Llbackwith,

I was just on a thread reading a roll call for a Quest cruise as recommended. I think it was you who had done the Mercury at Christmas 2007. ..Maybe it was someone else. I got off the Mercury on December 23 from that cruise and stayed at the Marriott Harbor Circular Quay.. or however you spell it. It looks like we go a lot of the same places.

I just have to decide where to go in 2010 over the holidays. ;)

If you are on the cruise which travels between Singapore and Hong Kong or vice versa you need do nothing. Azamara takes care of it all, you fill in forms at the requisite time and the cost (which did not appear to have any handling fee) is added to your seapass account. On the way there at Singapore or Hong Kong you just fill in the forms you get on board the plane and that covers a 5 day transit to the ship

If you are on the cruise which travels between Singapore and Hong Kong or vice versa you need do nothing. Azamara takes care of it all, you fill in forms at the requisite time and the cost (which did not appear to have any handling fee) is added to your seapass account. On the way there at Singapore or Hong Kong you just fill in the forms you get on board the plane and that covers a 5 day transit to the ship

Azamara will NOT arrange your visa for Chinese ports of call.

Llbackwith,

I was just on a thread reading a roll call for a Quest cruise as recommended. I think it was you who had done the Mercury at Christmas 2007. ..Maybe it was someone else. I got off the Mercury on December 23 from that cruise and stayed at the Marriott Harbor Circular Quay.. or however you spell it. It looks like we go a lot of the same places.

I just have to decide where to go in 2010 over the holidays. ;)

Yes, we did the Mercury Aus/NZ in Dec 07, embarked on 24th Dec :) - one of our BEST cruises. Absolutely loved Sydney... It's a shame that Celebrity no longer go there

The Chinese customs messed us around in all 3 Chinese ports we visited in Mar 09, delaying our arrival and disemabarkation - you'd think they did not want tourists to visit, but it was still worth it to see Beijing & Shanghai.

They delayed us on departure from Beijing for 6 hours because a crew member needed emergency surgery and we had to leave that person behind in hospital. The customs people would not let us depart from China until the ships staff got that person a visa from the respective embassy in Beijing.

The captain on our ship was handing over to another captain on our cruise and he had no visa to disembark in China, so had to wait until we got to Korea to leave the ship and fly home...

Things may have changed since March this year, but I would be amazed if the ship is offering to arrange on board visas for China/Canton.

You might be best calling Azamara to make absolutely sure.

Azamara will NOT arrange your visa for Chinese ports of call.

Sorry I cannot get the itineraries to come up but if the trip is going to Hong Kong only and not further north, Azamara does everything - they did for us even though we also took a day trip to the New Territories everything was done for us

Archived