Live from the Quest - Singapore to Hong kong

Jayayeff

Hi Anne,

Thanks for posting during your cruise. I really enjoyed following your travels.

To Linda: We docked at the Ocean Terminal two years ago and it was a zoo to get a cab to the airport. The lines were very long and we were on the same size ship --- the Nautica. The people who had the hotels arrange pickup or were going to the airport via private limo or driver, were the smartest. I told my husband that the next time we dock in Hong Kong we will certainly arrange for a driver to pick us up.

Sheila

Anne,

Thanks so much for posting. I have enjoyed your diary and looked forward to reading it each day.

I too am sorry that you had such bad weather. We were on the Oceania's Nautica last year in April and we went to most of your ports in reverse order where we had sunny skies with hot and humid weather plus the calmest of seas. It is just luck and sometimes once something goes wrong then everything seems to follow in its stead.

I am glad you have arrived home safely. I am not happy about embarking in 3 weeks time at a wharf with tents etc. I am thinking that we will have to be prepared just in case of rain. The Ocean Terminal is so much nicer and of course we booked our hotel so that we could walk on to the ship - that is a big disappointment for us.

Jennie

Anne, did you ever get satisfaction with the linens and pillows in your stateroom..

It sounded to me after the initial problems the worst part of the trip was the weather..was there more?

Thanks,

Jancruz1

Jan,

I only ever got my pillows changed as the ship did not have any hypo-allergenic duvets onboard. As a compromise they 'filled' a duvet cover with a couple of synthetic fabric blankets so it still looked as though there was a duvet on the bed. All the decorative cushions that they dress the bed with were simply removed for the duration of the cruise....Hopefully it will be a lesson learned and they will have them availale in future as I see no point in having hypo-allergenic pillows available if they don't have the duvets to go with them - if you are allergic to the pillows then you're allergic to the duvet too!!

Apart from the weather/sea conditions (which I accept is just luck of the draw anyway) the other main disappointment was the dining experience which I found to be very hit and miss. Prime C was excellent, Acqualina was very good, Discoveries only worked for me if I was alone or at a table of 2 or 3 max, otherwise it seemed very disorganised, it was very noisy and the food quality was inconsistent, and apart from the live cooking stations in Windows/Breeza I found the general buffet food to be uninspiring plus at nightime the venue is very dull. Although it is more than 3 years now since I cruised with Oceania, if I had to compare, I would have to give the nod for food and service to Oceania....

There were a couple of other niggledy bits and pieces that shouldn't have happened on a line that promotes itself as being a step above the norm but as I said earlier such is life, nothing's perfect...

Anne

Anne,

I am glad you have arrived home safely. I am not happy about embarking in 3 weeks time at a wharf with tents etc. I am thinking that we will have to be prepared just in case of rain. The Ocean Terminal is so much nicer and of course we booked our hotel so that we could walk on to the ship - that is a big disappointment for us.

Jennie

Jennie,

I maybe did the embarkation/disembarkation facilities a disservice referring to them as 'tents' - perhaps 'marquees' would have been a better choice of adjective as (if memory serves me correctly) they did have carpets and windows!!!

A word of warning - if you are getting a cab to the pier make sure you have the exact location written down in Chinese so the driver knows where you are going. A couple who disembarked the ship on Friday night asked the Penninsular Hotel if they could send a car for them and they said they didn't know where the wharf was!! Should anyone need a point of reference the entry to the wharf is just yards from the Kennedy Town bus station...

Anne

Anne,

Thanks for that information regarding the port. I will get the hotel concierge to write it in Chinese for us to give the taxi driver or else they can tell him when we order the car.

I can imagine the marquees or tents as they would be similar to the ones that Princess uses in Papeete as there are no real wharf facilities in that town.

I believe you helped me with Dubai before we visited there last year in April/May after our Oceania cruise from Hong Kong to Athens. Your information was very helpful. Thank you again.

Jennie

Anne,

I believe you helped me with Dubai before we visited there last year in April/May after our Oceania cruise from Hong Kong to Athens. Your information was very helpful. Thank you again.

Jennie

You're very welcome, I hope you enjoyed your stay in Dubai. Enjoy your upcoming cruise and I have to say I love the sound of your Cape Town to Dover trip - wish I could take 31 days off work to do likewise!!

Anne

Anne,

It is an interesting cruise with lots of unusual ports. We are going to do a Safari in Africa beforehand and have time in London and Paris at the end.

We met a great group of C.C. members on the Nautica cruise and hopefully a few are joining us on this interesting cruise.

Jennie

• 1 month later...

Please keep the info coming, Anne. We're booked on this cruise next year and will be looking for your insights and suggestions.

I'm hoping someone can set me straight regarding travel time from the U.S., east coast (Boston). Our itinerary from Azamara shows that we depart the U.S. on 2/19 and arrive in Singapore on 2/19. I admit to always struggling with the International Dateline thing, but would very much like someone to tell me if this is correct. Also, embarkation is on the 20th and the cruise sails on the 21st (one night in port on board). My husband and I wanted to arrange a 2-night pre-cruise package. Our TA says that Azamara says we can do that only if we give up the "free airfare" we now have (part of the 2-for-1 thing) and make arrangements for all our own flights and hotels. This makes no sense to me. I can't imagine that they aren't selling a 2-night pre-cruise package. Info, anyone? We'd appreciate your input.

Please keep the info coming, Anne. We're booked on this cruise next year and will be looking for your insights and suggestions.

I'm hoping someone can set me straight regarding travel time from the U.S., east coast (Boston). Our itinerary from Azamara shows that we depart the U.S. on 2/19 and arrive in Singapore on 2/19. I admit to always struggling with the International Dateline thing, but would very much like someone to tell me if this is correct. Also, embarkation is on the 20th and the cruise sails on the 21st (one night in port on board). My husband and I wanted to arrange a 2-night pre-cruise package. Our TA says that Azamara says we can do that only if we give up the "free airfare" we now have (part of the 2-for-1 thing) and make arrangements for all our own flights and hotels. This makes no sense to me. I can't imagine that they aren't selling a 2-night pre-cruise package. Info, anyone? We'd appreciate your input.

Can you tell me about the 2 for 1 package? I am on the earlier cruise and have not seen this offer!

I assume the special package is for their blocked flights that arrive the day the cruise starts.

We always come a couple of days earlier.

Could be if you are travelling east. You lose a day travelling west,expect fro Boston it's shorter going east to Singapore via Dubai Abu Dhabi.

It would sound right in terms of the free airfare.We had them arrange our air but had to pay extra for our preferred travel dates.

Boston and Singapore are 12 timezones apart.

Midnight Boston is noon Singapore.

So from midnight to noon in Boston Singapore is the same day.

So if your flight leaves at 12:01 am and takes less than 12 hours it will be the same day when you get there otherwise it will be the next day.

If you leave at 11:59 pm and take more than 12 hours you dont get there till 2 days later,

Did Azamara really give you an itinerary this far out, almost 12 months.

We just did the Quest Hong Kong to Singapore in January. Singapore is the least interesting city on the cruise.

The overnight in port is enough time there. A couple extra days in Hong Kong would be more interesting.

This thread is from my trip in January '09. For any additional info you'll have to wait until those doing the return itinerary from Hong kong to Singapore make their trip at the end of the month (or early April) after the N.E. Asia cruises have been completed...

Anne

As with everything, different people find different things that they like. We have visited Singapore many times, and have always found it to be a vibrant, interesting place. If you like zoological gardens, then in my opinion the one in Singapore would be the best in the southern hemisphere. The botanical gardens are great, as is the Jurong bird park. Then you have Chinatown, historical buildings such as the Raffles Hotel, cable car rides and visits to Sentosa Island. I'm not suggesting that Singapore is more interesting than Hong Kong, just that it has much to offer. For what our view is worth, my wife and I found the visit to Hanoi, and especially the long bus trip required to get there, the least inspiring part of our recent cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore.

Nevernever

Can any of you tell me how far it is from where the ship docks to outside the port and if Azamara runs a shuttle from dock to port? I have read it is really a long way and only authorized tour companies are allowed in. Thanks to anyone who can answer this for me.

Can any of you tell me how far it is from where the ship docks to outside the port and if Azamara runs a shuttle from dock to port? I have read it is really a long way and only authorized tour companies are allowed in. Thanks to anyone who can answer this for me.

The port at Halong Bay is very small and the distance from the dock to the port entrance is not a long way, but as posted by someone on another thread only authorised traffic is allowed into the port itself. Azamara ran a shuttle from the ship into the town centre but I can't remember how often it ran...

Anne

Boston and Singapore are 12 timezones apart.

Midnight Boston is noon Singapore.

So from midnight to noon in Boston Singapore is the same day.

So if your flight leaves at 12:01 am and takes less than 12 hours it will be the same day when you get there otherwise it will be the next day.

If you leave at 11:59 pm and take more than 12 hours you dont get there till 2 days later,

Did Azamara really give you an itinerary this far out, almost 12 months.

We just did the Quest Hong Kong to Singapore in January. Singapore is the least interesting city on the cruise.

The overnight in port is enough time there. A couple extra days in Hong Kong would be more interesting.

Did you write a review? We are scheduled to go from Hong Kong to Singapore next year. The only negative of the itinerary (2010) is that is does not go to Halong Bay.

Did you stop in Cambodia and where you able to make arrangements to go to Angkor Wat and then fly to Bangkok to meet the ship?

I think I mis-spoke about the 2-for-1 (that's what happens when one looks at too many 'deals'!). Sorry. The special offer was for airfare included plus pre-paid gratuities and an OBC for balcony cabins and above. We're Captains Club so should get custom air anyway. Overall fare did drop by $520 after we booked and our TA was able to capture the lower fare for us.

Singapore is in the northern hemisphere. About 90 miles north of the equator so normally warm and humid. Raffles, Sentosa, Tiger Balm and you are done.

We went to Angkor Wat for a few days on a land trip a couple years ago so we did not go while on this cruise.

A group of CCers did do it on their own on this cruise. You could look at the roll call for Quest 1/3/09 for some information on what they did. Cruiseprn was on that trip and I think she did a review of the adventure.

If it is your first trip to the area Bangkok is a worthwhile stop but it isn't a wonder of the world.

Singapore is in the northern hemisphere. About 90 miles north of the equator so normally warm and humid. Raffles, Sentosa, Tiger Balm and you are done.

We went to Angkor Wat for a few days on a land trip a couple years ago so we did not go while on this cruise.

A group of CCers did do it on their own on this cruise. You could look at the roll call for Quest 1/3/09 for some information on what they did. Cruiseprn was on that trip and I think she did a review of the adventure.

If it is your first trip to the area Bangkok is a worthwhile stop but it isn't a wonder of the world.

Thanks.

Btw, I lived in Thailand yeas ago.

Archived