Direct International vs multi-stop

Curly-Q

Looking for some info and/or suggestions:

I'm looking to book RT Atlanta/Barcelona for our upcoming cruise. Delta offers a non-stop, at a more expensive rate - however I was wondering about the luggage and weight limitations on the direct vs one/two stop connecting flights?

Also, for those of you who have done the ATL/BCN route - did you opt for the non-stop or multi-stops? And if multi-stop, did your luggage arrive safely and on time? We are planning to arrive the morning of our cruise (which must be boarded by 5 pm) and departing on disembarkation day, therefore, no pre- or post-cruise stay UNLESS it helps with getting a better flight or connection.

Thanks for any help. Always looking for ways to save money when possible, thereby saving for the next trip....;)

Looking for some info and/or suggestions:

I'm looking to book RT Atlanta/Barcelona for our upcoming cruise. Delta offers a non-stop, at a more expensive rate - however I was wondering about the luggage and weight limitations on the direct vs one/two stop connecting flights?

Also, for those of you who have done the ATL/BCN route - did you opt for the non-stop or multi-stops? And if multi-stop, did your luggage arrive safely and on time? We are planning to arrive the morning of our cruise (which must be boarded by 5 pm) and departing on disembarkation day, therefore, no pre- or post-cruise stay UNLESS it helps with getting a better flight or connection.

Thanks for any help. Always looking for ways to save money when possible, thereby saving for the next trip....;)

I would NOT recommended a multi-stop international arriving the day of embarkation. To me that is just leaving a few too many places where things can go wrong with no buffer; lost luggage, missed/delayed flights and no recovery time.

We looked at two options for direct from Barcelona from US; Delta from Atlanta and US Air from Philly. Delta was my first choice but they sold out. I found similar pricing difference between the two carriers I think almost two hundred bucks compared to a multiple connection. I like you always looking to save money but the visions of me missing my boat or missing my luggage made me stay with direct.

We flew out in the summer, a time known for thunderstorm delays. Out of Philly our plane was delayed by more then an hour and half. I'm glad it was a direct flight or I'd have had a really long flight worrying about making my connect somewhere in Europe.

I would say go direct and spend a few extra dollars.

We had options when we flew to Barcelona too but chose the direct ATL-BCN flight. I think we made a wise choice. Our luggage arrived with us. The flight was on time. Service on the flight was very good too.

If you have no choice but to arrive on embarkation day you really should consider the direct flight. It will be a lot less stressful.

Customs and Immigration on your return in Atlanta can be a little hectic but you sure won't have to worry about making a connecting flight. Another plus.

If perchance Delta has a substantial fare drop you can get a travel voucher less the usual fee. I don't know how much the change fee is on an international flight but if you monitor the Delta site it can give you that information. It would be nice, but it probably will not happen if you are flying during high season.

The other thing Delta has for its AMEX Platinum members, and maybe other Delta cards is a pay with miles feature. This uses your FF miles to cover a portion of your fare. It's not the best use of miles on a short haul but if you can use points to defray cost on an overseas flight it helps.

I'm looking to book RT Atlanta/Barcelona for our upcoming cruise. Delta offers a non-stop, at a more expensive rate
As a generalisation, non-stops are more expensive than connecting itineraries because passengers generally prefer them and are prepared to pay a little extra money to fly non-stop and to eliminate the hassle.

But you always need to ask the question: How much extra are you prepared to pay for the reduced travel time, reduced hassle and reduced stress? And are there any countervailing reasons for flying with another airline that requires you to connect somewhere? If so, how much is that worth?

I would not have recommended that you fly in the day of the cruise but if you are going to do that then definitely do the direct flight. The more flights introduces more chances of lost luggage, flight delays and possibly missing the flight.

If your schedule permits, I would consider flying in one day earlier. Why? To reduce the chance of missing the ship due to a flight cancelleation and to get one additional day to get over the jet lag.

Keith

Archived