HAL Baltic - shipboard entertainment on the St. Petersburg overnight?

bigwally

Does anyone know what the shipboard entertainment typically is on the evening the ship is docked overnight in St. Petersburg on a two day visit?

We're trying to decide whether to return to the ship on stay in town late for the Folkloric show and a river cruise.

I don't recall any specific entertainment related to our stay in St Petersburg but we were so exhausted upon our return to the ship, around 7 PM, that we had dinner and called it an early night. We were up very early that morning to start our 2 day tour and were scheduled for an early start on day 2 also.

The only entertainment I recall related to the ports was a wonderful German band and food the night we were in Warmunde.

The Baltic cruise is fantastic and the ship lectures are great, don't miss them!

On the Queen Victoria in July, we went to the folkloric show in town and it was great - seat not that good but then it was Russia. when we got back we checked out the entertainment on board and the local Russian band and dancers was poor in comparison to what we had seen

Nada on the Prinsendam in SPB last year.

BigWally, your choices are not limited to the HAL folklore show. Shorex also offers dinner theatre at Yusopov Palace which got rave reviews from our travel companions. And if you choose to book privately (such as with Alla, Denrus, Red October) there are many additional options. Any of these operators can get you tickets & transportation for the ballet or opera at Mariinsky Theatre, concerts at Hermitage Theatre, folklore shows at various venues, canal cruises or dinner in local restaurants. Lotsa choices! :cool::cool:

We're already booked for a 2 day St. Pete tour with Alla, and they're offering to take us to the Folkloric too, but I am somewhat concerned about the wife being overly tired. This is a woman who was too tired to get off the bus to see the Forum and Coliseum at the end of our day in Rome. And actually refused to do so, which is why she's the only one missing from the group picture we took that day.

Bigwally - When doing our tour with Alla we stopped for a light supper in late afternoon before going to the Folkloric show. Our guide took us to local coffee shop type restaurant. We had quiche and drinks and it was a nice break before going on to the show. It was also a chance to glimpse a small view of everyday Russian life.

I recommend the ship's Yusupov palace evening tour. It is more expensive than the folklorique but far less people go (Just two bus loads). Formal dress is requested and the photos we took made that worth it. First of all in a small group you get a tour including where Rasputin was murdered then everyone is seated and champagne and caviar are served while listening to music and watching dancers dressed in period costume. Finally everyone goes into the little theater to listen to four opera singers. You do get a feel for how it was in the past and you can buy CDs of the singers. It was a memorable evening.

We're already booked for a 2 day St. Pete tour with Alla, and they're offering to take us to the Folkloric too, but I am somewhat concerned about the wife being overly tired. This is a woman who was too tired to get off the bus to see the Forum and Coliseum at the end of our day in Rome. And actually refused to do so, which is why she's the only one missing from the group picture we took that day.

she went all that way and didn't get off to see the Forum and Coliseum??????

wow.

the point of no entertainment on board is not to "get you" onto a tour. In some countries, getting locals to come onboard is logistically not possible, and besides, as you can imagine in Russia, the entertainment available in town is a far-cry better than any group that would come onboard and perform for the scant crowd that chose to remain... after having seen that what is available ashore is far better.... (although in some other countries, entertainment in town is limited therefore a local group IS brought on board, i.e. in Costa Rica)....

The opera at Yusopov's is outstanding (seen it 3x); the folkloric show is outstanding (seen it 5x); the night cruise through the canals is peaceful; and anything else your local guide can suggest would be equally outstanding.

the ship i was on last summer played a movie in the main/big stage AND in the 'movie' theater.

take a tour. enjoy russia. when is the next time you're going to be there?

Archived