Aft balcony (ba) on tahitian (ocean) princess: Is it covered (& other details)? ;-)

DrFUN

DH and I just booked one of the only 6 aft BA balcony stateroom (only 2 between the two full suites on decks 6, 7, and 8) right on the stern of the Ocean Princess (Tahitian Princess until the end of 2009) for a Japan-China 14-day cruise in March 2010.

We're used to mini-suites on Princess Grand Class -- but the price difference was huge on this sailing, and we love the stern....

We'd be so grateful for any info about this smaller-class ship's aft (stern) BA staterooms:

(1) We got the sixth deck stern BA. Is it truly more extended? And is it covered (at least partially) -- or can everyone above see you wherever you are are on the balcony?

(2) Which deck has the better stern BAs (bigger balcony and/or more covering) -- deck 6, 7, or 8?

(3) Is the bathroom really tiny? (We'll miss the mini-suite tub!!)

(4) Is the closet in the BA the same convenient "open" rack (vs. a cabinet with doors you have to open) as on the Grand class?

THANKS so much for any advice!

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)

Here is picture from someone's album of deck 6 aft cabin. It is half-covered. Also a general view of the Tahitian from aft.

aft_balcony.jpg.07dc52540c0543a551b213e675f40af9.jpg

aft_view.jpg.38d6d5b3bbf1b12faf57741e0c7fa37d.jpg

Click on them to enlarge somewhat.

We booked while on a cruise and the Future Cruise Consultant recommended Deck 7. The sizes are the same -- only what is above and below the cabins are different.

We'd be so grateful for any info about this smaller-class ship's aft (stern) BA staterooms:

(1) We got the sixth deck stern BA. Is it truly more extended? And is it covered (at least partially) -- or can everyone above see you wherever you are are on the balcony?

(2) Which deck has the better stern BAs (bigger balcony and/or more covering) -- deck 6, 7, or 8?

THANKS so much for any advice!

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)

We had an aft in Tahiti in October last year. - 8069. It was partially covered, you could look down on the other balconies to a certain extent, only saw folk if they were at the railing. The cabin was perfectly adequate, we have had everything from oceanview through minisuites to a full suite, mostly sharing with two older teenagers so we found the cabins had plenty of room. The bathrooms are the same as the regular cabins on Princess. i.e. tiny. The only complaint is the hairdryers, I would take my own on this ship. The wake noise was quieter than on the grand class ships. We were under the buffet and were not disturbed at all. On these ships you are pretty close to everything. We liked nipping up to the buffet for snacks, drinks and cups of tea!! I would go with an aft any day, just can't manage it on our next trip to Europe but hope the upgrade fairly will visit again!!!

Terry

We have booked #8093 on the Royal Princess. The is the former Ren 8-Minerva II-now Royal . I know there were configuration differences on the Ren ships. Can any one tell me if it would be better to have deck six or seven aft vs eight? Are the balconies larger? Yes, I know the buffet is right above us and that is not an issue. Balcony size, however, is attractive. Very conflicting info trying to research the different deck plans and cabin-balcony sizes.

Thanks in advance.

SQ

We have booked #8093 on the Royal Princess. The is the former Ren 8-Minerva II-now Royal . I know there were configuration differences on the Ren ships. Can any one tell me if it would be better to have deck six or seven aft vs eight? Are the balconies larger? Yes, I know the buffet is right above us and that is not an issue. Balcony size, however, is attractive. Very conflicting info trying to research the different deck plans and cabin-balcony sizes.

Thanks in advance.

SQ

Of the six aft balconies the ones on deck 8 are slightly larger. We had 8093 on the Royal a year ago and loved it. You will get some vibration when pulling in or leaving port. Deck 7 is nice because you have cabins above and below you so it eliminates any noise but we had no problem with 8093. The cabins are a bit smaller on these R class ships than they are on say the grand class ships and there is a lot less closet space but if you're organized you will do fine. The aft balconies on all decks are much deeper than the ones on the port and starboard sides.

Actually the buffet is not right above deck eight. You have cabins above you. The buffet is above deck six.

I believe that Deck 6 has the largest balcony as the way ship slopes there is more room on Deck 6 than Deck 7 and more room on Deck 7 than on Deck 8. The balconies though are still larger than a normal side one though they are made of solid metal whereas the side ones just have the bars across.

I would prefer Deck 6 as it would be very quiet being furtherest away from the Buffet area and also perhaps not as much soot would land there from the funnel. I have read of cruisers having to wipe the chairs regularly when in port because of the soot when the wind blows a certain way.

Jennie

Of the six aft balconies the ones on deck 8 are slightly larger. We had 8093 on the Royal a year ago and loved it. You will get some vibration when pulling in or leaving port. Deck 7 is nice because you have cabins above and below you so it eliminates any noise but we had no problem with 8093. The cabins are a bit smaller on these R class ships than they are on say the grand class ships and there is a lot less closet space but if you're organized you will do fine. The aft balconies on all decks are much deeper than the ones on the port and starboard sides.

Actually the buffet is not right above deck eight. You have cabins above you. The buffet is above deck six.

Cactus Rose,

I do have to disagree with you regarding where the buffet is situated on the Pacific Princess, Royal Princess and Tahitian Princess which will soon become the new Ocean Princess.

The buffet is on Deck 9 directly above the mini suites on Deck 8. We have stayed in a mini on that deck (8055) and we have heard the noise of the trolley being wheeled along each morning around 5.30am. We have also had a mini in the centre of the ship (8040) and we have heard the deck chairs being stacked and unstacked both early morning and around 6pm at night.

The best position on Deck 8 is further forward so that you are under the Spa and the Internet Cafe or the Gym.

Jennie

MANY THANKS to everyone above for the quick and thorough responses, which are so helpful. It's very kind of you.

I do love these boards and the gracious posters.

Gratefully,

Mary-Lou

P.S. A special "HELLO!" to Aussie Gal, who was also a wealth of excellent info for our Sydney-Auckland sailing on X's Mercury during Christmas 2007/New Year 2008. We loved your city -- where we enjoyed our Boxing Day Cricket Tix and our walk from there to catch the Victorian Tram Car (a LITTLE longer than the "20 minutes" suggested by the waiter who brought us cold drinks at the Hilton across from the MCG -- but we made it just in time to board for a super lunch and tour :p), and the beautiful buildings and natural scenery. We'll be back one day!

Archived