YUL to London - Which Flight would YOU take?

Twickenham

I'm hoping to somehow fit in a quick week in London sometime between now and April. As this will be a last-minute thing depending on my work and I'll probably only have a few days to reserve everything, I'm trying to do as much research as possible now.

I'm not feeling too warm and fuzzy regarding Air Canada these days, so I'm looking at my other options. As these all involve some sort of connection (not a big deal for me), and are all within $100 of each other price-wise, I'm looking at people's opinions of the various airlines and airports. My options are:

US Airways - YUL-PHL-LGW: My cheapest option. Gatwick isn't a problem for me, but what is Philadelphia like?

Delta - YUL-JFK-LHR: I actually did this routing last spring. This time, however, I'm getting the option of a morning flight out of JFK. The downside is a 53 minute connection! Can I make this?

United - YUL-IAD-LHR: Middle-of-the-pack pricewise.

KLM - YUL-AMS-LCY: My most intruiging option. Does landing at London City justify going thru Schiphol?

If I add about $100, I get 2 options from YQB, namely Northwest - YQB-DTW-LHR, or Continental - YQB-EWR-LHR.

Any info appreciated!

BA nonstop?

Yeah, I know... but for some reason I'm a bit ish on them as well... they're one of the more expensive options (although still within the $100 'window')... I really don't mind a connection... I think I'm leaning towards the KLM option, as a search here turned up a thread very positive towards Schiphol (I don't know why I had a negative impression of that airport, but it actually sounds cool). I just think landing at LCY would be much easier than LHR (not that I mind LHR all that much).

I guess I'm suffering from 'too-many-options-itis'!

Delta - YUL-JFK-LHR: I actually did this routing last spring. This time, however, I'm getting the option of a morning flight out of JFK. The downside is a 53 minute connection! Can I make this?
If they'll sell you the ticket, it's a legal connection and they'd be responsible for getting you to LHR on the next available.

If you haven't tried the daytime flights, I'd highly recommend it - virtually eliminates jetlag (for us at least) and LHR is a breeze to get through. Book a Priceline hotel at a 4-star LHR hotel (ought to be under US$80) and you'll be amazed how fit and ready you feel the next morning.

What type of plane on the AMS-LCY leg? Of the options you listed, that sounds like the best to me, although non-stop still rules in my mind. BA and even AC with the fleet renewal aren't crap. Not like flying Skyservice all the way LOL.

BA nonstop?
+1

Unless the price for a connecting itinerary was stonkingly cheap, I wouldn't even dream of doing a connection on this trip. It's such a short flight, you'll barely know that you're on board.

KLM - YUL-AMS-LCY: My most intruiging option. Does landing at London City justify going thru Schiphol?
Nothing much wrong with Schiphol as a connecting point. It's better than some of the other airports you list as possible connecting points. And arriving at LCY has lots of benefits if your final destination is central London. Easy, fast, quick and cheap.

Yeah, I know... but for some reason I'm a bit ish on them as well... they're one of the more expensive options (although still within the $100 'window')... I really don't mind a connection...

$100 removes a lot of fannying around and uncertainty. If it was double the price then I might be able to understand. There's little doubt that unless you get Economy Plus on United (Google it, it's just more legroom) then BA will offer the best experience across the pond.

If they'll sell you the ticket, it's a legal connection and they'd be responsible for getting you to LHR on the next available.

If you haven't tried the daytime flights, I'd highly recommend it - virtually eliminates jetlag (for us at least) and LHR is a breeze to get through. Book a Priceline hotel at a 4-star LHR hotel (ought to be under US$80) and you'll be amazed how fit and ready you feel the next morning.

My mother once went on the AC morning flight out of Toronto and loved it; this really appeals, but my problem is that if I miss my flight, I have to wait all day for an evening flight and the positives are negated by having to camp out at JFK for a day... It still appeals, especially as I've been to the airport so know my way around...

$100 removes a lot of fannying around and uncertainty. If it was double the price then I might be able to understand. There's little doubt that unless you get Economy Plus on United (Google it, it's just more legroom) then BA will offer the best experience across the pond.

Then my thought on that is, why don't I add another $100 and go with Continental from YQB via EWR, and not have to drive to Mtl. But as I'll probably be going with my cousin who lives in MTL, flying from there isn't that big a deal. I guess what I'm hoping for is a seat sale on one of these routes, like what we got on Delta last year.

So, I guess nobody likes USAir via Philly, huh?

Fair enough. I read the title to your post and thought that you were definitely starting from YUL.

They're both possibilities. I would say 80% probable I'll fly out of YUL with my cousin, 20% that we'll meet up at a connecting airport. That's why what I'm really wondering about is the ease in connecting at the various airports - EWR vs JFK vs PHL vs AMS. Is there a compelling reason why to avoid or go thru one or the other? (gosh, I sound demanding!)

BTW, thanks for all the answers - they really are helping me clarify things in my head!

If you start from YUL, then I would take the BA non-stop (on the basis that you have good reasons for avoiding AC). Given the price spread, I personally think that this is a no-brainer.

If you have to connect, I would personally avoid connecting at any US airport, for a reason which I've (again) just realised. You will have to clear US immigration and customs just to connect there. On the way to London, this is less of a problem because you'd pre-clear at your Canadian departure point. But on the way back, you will have to clear US immigration, collect your bags, clear US Customs, then drop your bags back to the airline again at any of EWR, JFK or PHL, even though you are then going straight on to a Canadian destination. That is a right pain in the neck. I would pay a lot of money to avoid that particular piece of US lunacy.

You don't have this problem if you connect at AMS. You're a true international-international direct airside transfer; you're not even entering Schengenland to do this connection.

If you have to connect, I would personally avoid connecting at any US airport, for a reason which I've (again) just realised. You will have to clear US immigration and customs just to connect there.

Oh gosh, I've just remembered that! The only really bad part of our last trip thru JFK... I think it took over 2 hours to clear customs! Of course, it might have helped if they had had more than 3 agents for 3 transatlantic flights...:rolleyes:

So, unless I get a great deal, I'm thinking KLM or British Airways...

Oh gosh, I've just remembered that! The only really bad part of our last trip thru JFK... I think it took over 2 hours to clear customs! Of course, it might have helped if they had had more than 3 agents for 3 transatlantic flights...:rolleyes:

So, unless I get a great deal, I'm thinking KLM or British Airways...

Any of your choices out of Montreal with US connections would be pre-cleared at Montreal. I'm pretty sure YQB does not have US pre-clearance, so you would be doing customs at the US connecting city. But as said, you still get stuck clearing there on the way home. There's absolutely no way I'd fly all the way back west to DTW (700 miles) to turn around to fly to Europe. Especially to get on Northwest. I hadn't paid attention to the fact you are in YQB, so that would play a large part in my decision. I personally like flying from YXU even though Toronto and Detroit are only 2 hour drives.

If you connect through the U.S., you will arrive in London sans baggage. All baggage arriving from Canada into the U.S. and going onward is opened and inspected by TSA (if this is not correct, would somebody chime in?) and that takes time so unless you have a long connection, it will follow you later.

If this is a quick trip, why would you spend all your valuable time travelling? Quit faffing around and take a non-stop, AC or BA.

If you connect through the U.S., you will arrive in London sans baggage. All baggage arriving from Canada into the U.S. and going onward is opened and inspected by TSA (if this is not correct, would somebody chime in?) and that takes time so unless you have a long connection, it will follow you later.

Never heard that before and can't think of a reason why they'd do that.

We have some friends in Edmonton and who come to see us a few times per year and they have sub 1hr connections at ORD. Bags have always made it so far on the trips down here.

I think it can be opened, but I don't think it automatically is. The reason I say this is coming back from our recent cruise, I had a non-TSA lock on my bag, and it stayed intact - if they had opened it, they would have had to cut the lock off. Last year going thru JFK our luggage followed us no problem (we did however make sure we had at least 3-4 hours' connection time...). In fact, the only time I've lost my luggage flying over the last 10 years is one bag didn't make the YUL-YQB segment of our return flight from the cruise - yes, it was a tight connection, but the other 4 bags made it...:rolleyes:.

We flew through Philly on our way back from SJU to BTV. We are Montrealers. We got stuck in PHL for three days. I wouldn't fly through PHL in the winter and I wouldn't fly US Air unless the discount was significant. Probably different on T/A, but they wouldn't even give us a glass of water without paying.

Have you tried looking up your fare on Mobissimo? Sometimes BA is cheaper that way.

Transat starts only in May, so I guess that's out.

Have you checked the fares from BTV? About an hour more by car, but it can be a LOT cheaper.

I flew BA last October for a quick gateway week-end...yes a week-end. I would go on to BA website because they are having a sale right now including 2 free hotel nights in London....and it is realy free. The airfare was very good and I was searching for the Easter period. I am even considering to go back to London!!!:)

As it was said before, the flight is too short to do a connection. I often did this flight under 5H30.....

Have a great trip!!!

I know you're not really feeling Air Canada, but their IFE is top notch.... Continental is pretty good too, and if you're in Quebec City, it's gonna be more convienent going out of YQB, thats for sure.

I'm flying US Airways to Alaska but don't really recommend them, their fleet (domestic at least, i've never flown transatlantic) is uncomfortable (tight seats), and they recently tore all inflight entertainment out of their aircraft (doubt that applies to transatlantic but you never know).... unless Star Alliance miles are important to you or the price is alot lower, i'd probably go with someone else.

We flew through Philly on our way back from SJU to BTV. We are Montrealers. We got stuck in PHL for three days. I wouldn't fly through PHL in the winter and I wouldn't fly US Air unless the discount was significant. Probably different on T/A, but they wouldn't even give us a glass of water without paying.

Have you tried looking up your fare on Mobissimo? Sometimes BA is cheaper that way.

Transat starts only in May, so I guess that's out.

Have you checked the fares from BTV? About an hour more by car, but it can be a LOT cheaper.

We also had a nice overnight visit in PHL courtesy of US Air; just wished they had paid for our hotel!:(

Whenever possible direct is best in my mind. Still big fans of AirCanada.

Kathy:)

I'd take either AC or BA.

We haven't been the biggest AC fans either, but recently their onboard service has been improving a lot, plus they have brand new 777 200/300 ER's that are a pleasure to fly on. Took them two weeks ago from YVR-YYZ-TPA without any issues, and am planning on either them or BA when we fly to London in July.

I personally wouldn't take a US airline to London - too many hassles, esp. when there are direct options from Montreal. KLM is pretty cheap for us here in Vancouver too (YVR-AMS-LHR), but I'm put off by the older MD-11 aircraft & the feeling I'd be flying more than I really have to!

So, based on all the excellent advice, I had pretty much decided on BA - and based on today's news and weather reports from the UK, decided to go no earlier than end of March... ;) (If I want 30 cm of snow, I can just look out the window, ya know...)

Soo... while doing an internet search for work, somehow one of the sites that came up was Continental Airlines. So, just for fun, I punched in the dates for the end of March to LHR, and while YUL-LHR came up at CA$765.38, YQB-LHR came up at... CA$721.38! Yes, Continental is charging me $44 less from YQB. And I can get this price for the morning flight to boot...

So now my question is - how is Continental, and Newark for transfers? Is a connection time of 80-90 minutes enough?

(US Air is still my cheapest option, but based on the info here, I think I'll pass...;))

So, based on all the excellent advice, I had pretty much decided on BA - and based on today's news and weather reports from the UK, decided to go no earlier than end of March... ;) (If I want 30 cm of snow, I can just look out the window, ya know...)

Soo... while doing an internet search for work, somehow one of the sites that came up was Continental Airlines. So, just for fun, I punched in the dates for the end of March to LHR, and while YUL-LHR came up at CA$765.38, YQB-LHR came up at... CA$721.38! Yes, Continental is charging me $44 less from YQB. And I can get this price for the morning flight to boot...

So now my question is - how is Continental, and Newark for transfers? Is a connection time of 80-90 minutes enough?

(US Air is still my cheapest option, but based on the info here, I think I'll pass...;))

We have been thru Newark many times using Continental to go to Vegas from Ottawa; very nice airport; no problems with connections. Do not know what type of aircraft Continental uses for their overseas flights. You definitely want as much leg room as possible so you may want to check out Seat Guru. com .

Kathy:)

I've only flown Continental once, and it was domestic, but I had absolutly no problems and quite enjoyed the flight.

My only warning to you, is to the best of my knowledge, there is no US Preclearance at YQB... which means you need enough connection time to deboard, collect ur luggage, clear US customs, recheck your luggage, go through security... (not to mention the possibility of changing terminals).... whereas if you go from YUL you just get off ur plane and go to the next gate, everything else is done for you.... you might work out better leaving from YUL

How much cheaper is the US Airways flight? If it's significant i'd probably consider it too.... your YUL-PHL flight will suck alot (no entertainment, charge for soft drinks/water) but the Transatlantic one shouldn't be too bad (but then again, Aeroplan miles are important to me, and US Airways is part of the star alliance)

Archived