What is a dry dock? Do they take the ship out of the water? Where does the crew go?

sixpackeddie

Great discussion and photos of the drydock process. Somehow I knew that our chronicler, Copper 10-8, would come through with a definitive report.

I was privileged to visit the Pacific Princess in dry dock in 1977 in San Pedro, California. The little 20,000-ton ship loomed very large out of water. I had to climb several outside ladders -- in the dark, mind you -- to join a party aboard with the officers and crew. I brought with me a few dozen Toll House cookies made from refrigerated dough; an easy treat to make because I worked full time onshore. The Pacific Princess's Italian head chef was at the party, drunk as a lord. He let everyone know how great the cookies were, and kept asking me for the recipe.

Good times.

This is a great thread and makes several months of reading (ok yes, and sometimes participating) in discussions of how many shoes you should take to cruise and whether collapsing hampers are required. Great info and wonderful pictures. Thanks very much.

The photo above- What ship is that in the rough seas?

I enjoyed learning about this.

Thanks,

RL

It's British-based Fred Olsen Cruise Line's Balmoral departing A (La) Coruna, Spain on 20 January 2009 while encountering 'some' swells. There was a bad weather system that hit many parts of Spain. Here's the whole series in case you missed it. And, like Druke says, no she did not sink! She arrived in Antwerp, Belgium safe and sound a week ago, today (see last pic)

Ship+Photo+BALMORAL.JPG

Ship+Photo+BALMORAL.JPG

Ship+Photo+BALMORAL.JPG

Ship+Photo+BALMORAL.JPG

Ship+Photo+BALMORAL.JPG

Ship+Photo+Balmoral.jpg

John- gracias por el awesome pictures! And thanks for your steady work with the O banner waves.

De nada;) The O banner waves is not me! That banner was lovingly put together by CruzNon/Peggy and the, just about, weekly waves are the work/coordination of LaffnVegas/Lisa

De nada;) The O banner waves is not me! That banner was lovingly put together by CruzNon/Peggy and the, just about, weekly waves are the work/coordination of LaffnVegas/Lisa

Pero el Hombre de Policia is taking the pictures, no?

Claro!

Just noted your countdown --where are you headed -and on which ship? We just got back from Panama Canal on Zuiderdam 1/18 sailing -- a good itinerary, but not as convenient as Noordam's sailings from New York. I am looking forward to HAL's New York - Bermuda sailing in 2010.

Cheers - NBT

NBT!!!!!! How are you?? Tim and I are sitting here cracking up laughing and remembering some choice Noordam moments. How nice to hear from you!! How is Mrs. NBT? Has she taken well to the sport of cruising? It's funny- I also just got an email from Christina from our same Noordam cruise. She is about to take a cruise in Dubai in a couple of weeks. We are taking the Norwegian Majesty from Charleston. Not a great itinerary- but for me it's the ship, not the trip. I like the older ships and I want to go on the Majesty before she takes off.

We are absolutely going to book a HAL cruise next- looking for a repo next fall. Can you think of anything???

I sailed Majesty Boston to Bermuda in August 2005 - a right-sized ship - and look forward to Veendam (I think) sailing NY-Bermuda next year.

I am thinking of a HAL re-positioning Mediterranean to US in October . One problem is that one way fares transatlantic seem higherthan round trip. I suppose HAL will sell package deal.

Mrs. NBT is highly enhusiastic -- and a great Trivia player - we now have coffee mugs, tee shirts, key rings and luggage tags coming out of our ears.

I hop you are staying off dark city streets.

Wow, those rough seas pictures just kicked my morning sickness up a notch:D

We live in Esquimalt, and every time there is a ship in drydock, it absolutely dwarfs the area. Amazing how truly huge they are. Also makes me want to stow away, but have yet to be stealthy enough to get through security;)

Connie

John...All those Pics & your explanation is awesome... Thanks for educating us all..

Cheers..;) (Whoops wrong face..Should have been a smiley & don't know how to correct it)..

Betty

P.S. I'm not like the little kid who's upset because she didn't get an invite to the party..;);) Thanks anyway..:):):)LOL

Archived