How about a little Perspective Here?

agentgirl

eek. What a hot potato.

We are wondeirng whether to book on MSC. We have done cargo ships before, 5 passengers, russian crew, that sort of thing. Now I am wondering whether we should stick with the rust buckets we have enjoyed rather than bright and shiny vessels of disagreement.

Are we not allowed to have a personal opinion without risking personal attack on this forum?

It frightens me. As they say, the brightest lights cast the darkest shadows, grasshopper.

eek. What a hot potato.

We are wondeirng whether to book on MSC. We have done cargo ships before, 5 passengers, russian crew, that sort of thing. Now I am wondering whether we should stick with the rust buckets we have enjoyed rather than bright and shiny vessels of disagreement.

Are we not allowed to have a personal opinion without risking personal attack on this forum?

It frightens me. As they say, the brightest lights cast the darkest shadows, grasshopper.

Rust buckets - love it! We'd love to do a rust bucket! Kinda like finding the city's local dives which are usually awesome!

Could you please recommend some rust buckets?

Cheryl, Please, you are ranting on about things you that are incorrect. There is no way i would read thru all the trash you wrote about, but the few incorrect things you mentioned, superior cabins ARE LARGER than std, i was in cat 10 for one week. We were a party of 10, so i was in all categories except suites. If you did your homework, std cabin is 161 sq ft & superior 191 plus verandas are 10 ft larger. At tea time, pizza is also served. You quoted other incorrect statements which i won`t go into. Pls reduce your statements to one paragraph.

Cheryl, Please, you are ranting on about things you that are incorrect. There is no way i would read thru all the trash you wrote about, but the few incorrect things you mentioned, superior cabins ARE LARGER than std, i was in cat 10 for one week. We were a party of 10, so i was in all categories except suites. If you did your homework, std cabin is 161 sq ft & superior 191 plus verandas are 10 ft larger. At tea time, pizza is also served. You quoted other incorrect statements which i won`t go into. Pls reduce your statements to one paragraph.

Boca Boca Boca...... where do I even begin with you? While I don't have enough time to devote to you the attention this thread deserves, let me state once again, for clarification purposes only: MSC Cabins are smaller than their competition. I wasn't comparing cabin size within MSC categories, I was comparing MSC cabins to other lines LOL :-D. Here is what I said:

"Smaller cabins. A superior balcony is the same size as a standard balcony on most other lines. The suites are much smaller, as are the interior and oceanview cabins. Also, because the cabins are smaller on the Orchestra, there are more people per square foot. For example, the M class on Celebrity is slightly LARGER and holds less people. The orchestra seem really crams the people on for the size of the ship. Did you feel the ship crowded? However, for the right price, who cares about size."

I just don't have time right now to put in the square footage comparisons.....but MSC SUPERIOR balconies are the same as ENTRY LEVEL balconies on other lines. Interiors are smaller in square foot, as are Oceanview. AGain, this is when comparing MSC to other lines. I'll provide data later :).

In the meantime, don't rely on me. Certainly Frommers and Fodors are more crediable. Here is a quote from Fodors regarding overall cabin size on MSC:

"Cabins are comfortable yet quite small by modern cruise-ship standards"

And another quote from Frommers:

Cons Small cabins: Standard inside and outside cabins are only 140 square feet, and 247-square-foot suites would pass for junior suites aboard most vessels.

Boca: Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to clarify what you misinterpreted. I can see how you could easily misread my rantings :). I welcome the opportunity to clarify all of the other 'incorrect statements' I have provided. If I stand for anything, it's making sure that the information I provide is accurate :). If/when I'm wrong, I'll man up :).

To Agentgirl, If you feel personaly attacked, I do apologize. Sincerely. I thought I stated several times that this wasn't personal, but sometimes it is difficult to make a strong case online that is taken for simply that, a very strong difference of perspective and not a personal attack. And, we both know, I have very strong feelings which are parallel opposite of yours. Regardless, I failed at making a successful case against your 'perspective' without hurting your feelings. For that I apologize.

I'm very passionate about encouraging, and accepting, ALL opinions about travel on these forums. Just like AGent girl can not apologize for being positive..... I can not apologize for defending my position that those with negative reviews should not be made to feel badly for sharing their experiences.

Nor will I apologize for being extra careful when reading a 'perspective' from someone who is financially tied to the company they are promoting. Whether that be the travel industry, technology, or my local auto dealer. Anything less, is........ well.......... naive. Readers are free to agree, or disagree.

I have attempted to make a reasonable case why it is important to encourage all opinions on this forum. I will continue to challenge posters who try to impeed free speech (from both the haters and the cheerleaders).

If the readers of this post have missed my point, I accept full responsibility for my failed delievery. But make no mistake, I do not apologize for the content. These forums must embrace the good, bad, and ugly in reviews if they are to have any merit in helping the general travel consumer choose a vacation which best matches their desires.

Unlike those who have left the thread (and I can respect and honor that decision), I will continue to offer my opinion so that we may ALL gain a clearer understand of perspectives which may differ from our own. Isn't that the beauty of this forum?

Kind regards,

Cheryl

Boca Boca Boca...... where do I even begin with you? While I don't have enough time to devote to you the attention this thread deserves, let me state once again, for clarification purposes only: MSC Cabins are smaller than their competition. I wasn't comparing cabin size within MSC categories, I was comparing MSC cabins to other lines LOL :-D. Here is what I said:

"Smaller cabins. A superior balcony is the same size as a standard balcony on most other lines. The suites are much smaller, as are the interior and oceanview cabins. Also, because the cabins are smaller on the Orchestra, there are more people per square foot. For example, the M class on Celebrity is slightly LARGER and holds less people. The orchestra seem really crams the people on for the size of the ship. Did you feel the ship crowded? However, for the right price, who cares about size."

I just don't have time right now to put in the square footage comparisons.....but MSC SUPERIOR balconies are the same as ENTRY LEVEL balconies on other lines. Interiors are smaller in square foot, as are Oceanview. AGain, this is when comparing MSC to other lines. I'll provide data later :).

In the meantime, don't rely on me. Certainly Frommers and Fodors are more crediable. Here is a quote from Fodors regarding overall cabin size on MSC:

"Cabins are comfortable yet quite small by modern cruise-ship standards"

And another quote from Frommers:

Cons Small cabins: Standard inside and outside cabins are only 140 square feet, and 247-square-foot suites would pass for junior suites aboard most vessels.

Boca: Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to clarify what you misinterpreted. I can see how you could easily misread my rantings :). I welcome the opportunity to clarify all of the other 'incorrect statements' I have provided. If I stand for anything, it's making sure that the information I provide is accurate :). If/when I'm wrong, I'll man up :).

To Agentgirl, If you feel personaly attacked, I do apologize. Sincerely. I thought I stated several times that this wasn't personal, but sometimes it is difficult to make a strong case online that is taken for simply that, a very strong difference of perspective and not a personal attack. And, we both know, I have very strong feelings which are parallel opposite of yours. Regardless, I failed at making a successful case against your 'perspective' without hurting your feelings. For that I apologize.

I'm very passionate about encouraging, and accepting, ALL opinions about travel on these forums. Just like AGent girl can not apologize for being positive..... I can not apologize for defending my position that those with negative reviews should not be made to feel badly for sharing their experiences.

Nor will I apologize for being extra careful when reading a 'perspective' from someone who is financially tied to the company they are promoting. Whether that be the travel industry, technology, or my local auto dealer. Anything less, is........ well.......... naive. Readers are free to agree, or disagree.

I have attempted to make a reasonable case why it is important to encourage all opinions on this forum. I will continue to challenge posters who try to impeed free speech (from both the haters and the cheerleaders).

If the readers of this post have missed my point, I accept full responsibility for my failed delievery. But make no mistake, I do not apologize for the content. These forums must embrace the good, bad, and ugly in reviews if they are to have any merit in helping the general travel consumer choose a vacation which best matches their desires.

Unlike those who have left the thread (and I can respect and honor that decision), I will continue to offer my opinion so that we may ALL gain a clearer understand of perspectives which may differ from our own. Isn't that the beauty of this forum?

Kind regards,

Cheryl

You go girl!!!

eek. . We have done cargo ships before, 5 passengers, russian crew, that sort of thing. Now I am wondering whether we should stick with the rust buckets we have enjoyed rather than bright and shiny vessels of disagreement.

Love it. Been on the mailboats through the Bahamas. Great way to travel in the day. My first cruise was in 1983 on the Britanis from Miami to Nassau! Now that was a rust bucket! It is no doubt a dive reef somewhere at this point. It was so bad that I went back THREE times! Any other Britanis alumni out there?

Love it. Been on the mailboats through the Bahamas. Great way to travel in the day. My first cruise was in 1983 on the Britanis from Miami to Nassau! Now that was a rust bucket! It is no doubt a dive reef somewhere at this point. It was so bad that I went back THREE times! Any other Britanis alumni out there?

I went on the Britanis some time around 1986. I was in my early 20's and it was my first cruise sailing roundtrip from Montego Bay, with stops in Aruba, Cartegena Columbia, Colon Panama and San Blas islands off the coast of (I think) Columbia. San Blas was one of the best experiences of my life!

I have since been on Disney, Carnival & NCL. Although we did book our March 7 cruise just this morning because the price could not be beat, I am so looking forward to a different experience. It would take ALOT to ruin my vacation...besides being english in a french Canadian city means that I get "the stare" on a regular basis.

As someone else pointed out, going on a 7 day cruise to the tropics at half the price it cost me to go to Disney over the holidays (staying off site), not having to cook or clean for a week and just getting out of out 7 ft snowbanks and -20 degree weather....well, what can make it so bad that I would have an awful time?

As someone else pointed out, going on a 7 day cruise to the tropics at half the price it cost me to go to Disney over the holidays (staying off site), not having to cook or clean for a week and just getting out of out 7 ft snowbanks and -20 degree weather....well, what can make it so bad that I would have an awful time?

Strongly agree, and I think responsive to the OP. Any cruise provides transportation, housecleaning, food, and entertainment all in one package that would cost at least double the price if done separately. Not to mention that for many of us left behind, in addition to the weather being cold and ugly you've got a fair chance of breaking your ankle just bringing the mail in. How people can say "oh, they didn't have chocolate-chip cookies at breakfast and the waiter didn't talk to you with a sock-puppet while he was cutting up the food and putting it in your mouth so the WHOLE trip was JUST awful" is beyond me.

Ha Ha - Found this about Britanis. Your prediction is correct:

On October 21' date=' 2000, Britanis sank and was lost off the coast of Capetown, South Africa while under tow to the scrappers. [/i']

Strongly agree, and I think responsive to the OP. Any cruise provides transportation, housecleaning, food, and entertainment all in one package that would cost at least double the price if done separately..

I agree 100%. ANY cruise provides the things you mentioned. That's why it is important that we choose the RIGHT cruise to match our personal desires. While MSC is certainly cheaper than a week in Disney, MSC is NOT NECESSARILY the best value in cruising.

In other words, we're on this forum to figure out whether or not MSC is right for us, not to dispute that ALL vacations are what you make of them. That part is a given :)

I keep hearing over and over that a day on a cruise is better than a day at the office. I AGREE! I mean, of course I agree...... we all agee!! But the relevant question remains.... "Is a day on MSC better than a day on RCL, Princess, Celebrity, etc.. ?" That, my friends, is the million dollar question that most of us are on this forum trying to figure out.

I have come to the conclusion that MSC Is not the right ship for me at this time. Doesn't mean I won't sail her in the future, but I was able to sail on Princess for $8.00 more per day. Given the differences in amenities, the decision was easy. In my opinion, a day on MSC is not better than a day on Princess especially given the price difference of only $8.00 :)

These forums must embrace the good, bad, and ugly in reviews if they are to have any merit in helping the general travel consumer choose a vacation which best matches their desires. Those who try to silence either side of the equation are a detriment. But again, that's just my opinion :)

Special thanks to all those who have helped me come to this decision: VA_Cruiser, Amomondo, Sparky, LordStroke, grace, wldflw, law, Carla, and so many others who have given your opinions while respecting the rights of others who may not agree. If we're ever on the same sailing, I"ll buy the first round :).

I wish everyone wonderful vacations!!

Cheryl :)

I have just returned from 7 days aboard the Orchestra. Let me begin on a positive note. The ship is beautiful. It is the cleanest I have ever sailed on. Our cabin was small on the 12th deck with a balcony but was always clean and well prepared. The entertainment in the theater was above par. Now for the rest of the story. The food was edible. The risotto selections were tasteless and gummy. Lobster tails were overcooked and tasteless. Most steaks were overcooked and full of grisel. Desserts were very non Italian. The best part of the buffet was the pasta prepared fresh. Our dining room was very cramped and we were always rushed through our meal. We had the early seating at 5:30. We did eat at the Four Seasons for an additional fee of $25 and the food and service was excellent. I found most of the crew to be untrained with little knowledge of the ship or their job. At times some of them were outright rude.We were a group of 39 and none of us will travel on MCS again.

OMGOsh... Old cruise Chat.... I LOVE IT!

I never sailed on the Britanis, but I sailed WITH her from port to port several times on an equal 'rust bucket' named the Regent Sun (1987). In fact, I'm very sure I have a photo of the Britanis taken from the top deck of the REgent sun sitting in Nassau in 1988.

Loved her so much I sailed on the Regent Star next. The ship was said to be haunted (didn't know it at the time). We were rammed by a barge in Montego Bay which ripped an 8 foot hole in the haul. After fixing it, we set sail, only to find that the balast did not retract in aruba and the ship listed so much that the water drained out of the pool. In retrospect, it was pretty serious as they made us walk around all day with our life preservers on.

Let's see......... there was the Dolphin....... that lost power for 36 hours off the coast of Cuba. They actually brought the then brand new Carnival Destiny to our side in the even we needed to evacuate. Electricians were flown in from Maimi and the problem was fixed before we ran a-ground.

Or how about the old Commodore that shocked you if you went in the hottub?

And I've never been on a cruise that I didn't love!!!!

Oh..... the good old days. SOmetimes I long for those small vessels, where everyone knew your name like the Cheers show.

For me, the most sad is the SS Norway. She was a beautiful lady. I sailed her many times. AFter the boiler explosion she was parted out. Here's a video of the explosion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6194Dce804

And an equally sad video of her destruction:

There's another one on Youtube that is a tribute to the Norway that actually made me cry. I'll find it if anyone is interested.

I used to subscribe to "Cruise" magazine. I have issues in perfect condition dating back to the late 80's. I even have all my old deck plans and final payment vouchers. This thread motivated me to go and look through my momento box.

The magazines include prices. I paid $786.00 for my very first cruise in 1987. That was an inside cabin (but included air). I just paid less than that for 7 nights in a balcony cabin on Princess (but air was an additional $360.00). I'd say cruising is even more of a bargain today than yesterday.

Anyway........ I just love those old vessels. Beautiful ladies. They don't make them like they used to :).

Whoa!! This thread is way too adversarial for my tastes. I agree, it is not a matter of life and death. And Texas, you said it best!! As long as the family is together and everyone is safe, we can have a good time. But then again, we are realistic down to earth people who can make lemonade out of lemons...NOT subscribing to this thread so let the bashings continue and I will be in peace.

Yikes! You can cut the tension in here with a knife!

Everybody is either walking on eggs worrying about saying the wrong thing and possibly getting flamed for stating a different point of view...or they are busy making sure we all know that while they disagree they aren't flaming anybody.

Why all this drama? What happened to just old fashioned friendly cruise talk?

I have just returned from 7 days aboard the Orchestra. Let me begin on a positive note. The ship is beautiful. It is the cleanest I have ever sailed on. Our cabin was small on the 12th deck with a balcony but was always clean and well prepared. The entertainment in the theater was above par. Now for the rest of the story. The food was edible. The risotto selections were tasteless and gummy. Lobster tails were overcooked and tasteless. Most steaks were overcooked and full of grisel. Desserts were very non Italian. The best part of the buffet was the pasta prepared fresh. Our dining room was very cramped and we were always rushed through our meal. We had the early seating at 5:30. We did eat at the Four Seasons for an additional fee of $25 and the food and service was excellent. I found most of the crew to be untrained with little knowledge of the ship or their job. At times some of them were outright rude.We were a group of 39 and none of us will travel on MCS again.

Welcome home. I"m sorry your vacation didn't turn out better :(. There are a few posters reporting from the Jan 24th sailing. Reviews seem to be equally split, either they really like it or found it terribly disappointing.

This reminds me, yet again, that we all really do have different perspectives and why it is so important to welcome the good, bad, and the ugly.

Agent girl, Unfortunately I believe some people missed your perspective. I totally agree with you...By the way some of ther errors mentioned. Yes there is a waffle station, outside just prior to going to buffet serving pancakes & waffles w/ all toppings. The belgium waffles were delicious. Then when you enter buffet on either side at beginning is a SIGN stating made to order eggs placed here. Its the same area as the hamburger station is for lunch. They were making anything you wanted. There are coffee stations plus a special coffee bar. Yes, there is not 24 hr dining, THank God. Also questioned what is served after lunch, there is tea time starting 3:30pm the usual offerings & free pizza opens at 4pm. Free pizza is also served during lunch. I can continue but it seems negative begets negative.

This reminds me, yet again, that we all really do have different perspectives and why it is so important to welcome the good, bad, and the ugly. Cheryl :)

Well said. By the way, some folks just have no sense of humor and so code cries halt. CC editor is wholly correct.

Cheryl please PM me at tripadvosor (darmanad).

It is definitely not an American style ship. And you know- they do not advertise themselves as an American ship. They are an Italian ship and very proud of that fact- as they should be.

TA please remember it was MSC and Rick Sasso that told everyone that the Orchestra would be very Americanized when it came to the states. Most of the passengers will be Americans so MSC will "Americanize" this ship right down to American Television and Lox and Bagels. This is what many thought they bargained for. Let's not get on the guests for using the word "Americanized". If I was on the ship in Austrailia I would expect it to be "Austrailianized".

Most of the passengers will be Americans so MSC will "Americanize" this ship right down to American Television and Lox and Bagels.

I've seen it mentionned before that lox & bagels were unavailable on this ship. I think though that it maybe more of a language issue. I am from the UK and am totally unfamiliar with the term lox. I had to ask my trusty friend google. :)

If I had a fridge full of smoked salmon & some-one asked me for lox, I would say I didn't have any. Smoked salmon, cream cheese & bagels have always been available in the dining room for breakfast when I have sailed MSC in Europe.

I offer this purely to try to help you track down the elusive lox & bagels. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed with MSC Feb 7th to 14th and had a great time. Perhaps this comment, broadcast by a very upset (and very loud) woman will put things in perspective:

"I'll NEVER sail with this shoddy outfit again. From now on, it's back to Princess. Princess is the best - they treat you like a baby."

It was obvious that nothing would please her. She expects to be fauned over and pampered (and reduced to helplessness) by people who do everything for her.

As well-travelled adults (including expat experiences in Europe and Asia) we found this comment rather comical. But if this treatment is what a large section of the clientele is expecting, MSC is never going to please them.

You will NOT have a perfect 10 - but if you stay open-minded, you can easily get a 9!

Bon voyage!

Agent girl, very well said, I was on the Orchestra 1/10 for 1 wk & it was wonderful. Its pathetic that sites like this have responses as Cheryl who has never been on a MSC cruise but has so many comments about it, which are mostly negstive. What does she know, shw wasn`t on it? This site should only be for comments of persons with actual eperiences.

Agent girl, very well said... Its pathetic that sites like this have responses as Cheryl who has never been on a MSC cruise but has so many comments about it, which are mostly negstive. What does she know, shw wasn`t on it? This site should only be for comments of persons with actual eperiences.

Boca, if this site was only for comments of persons with actual [MSC] experiences, then you would not have had the opportunity to read Agent girl's post. She hasn't sailed MSC yet.

Archived