Barcelona- Hotel Colon vs Majestic?

I've stayed at the Majestic and love its location, right in the heart of Eixemple. The standard rooms are sort of small but sometimes they have a 3 nights for 2 deal on junior suites which are great size and lovely. What's best is there are two Gaudi houses within a block as well as lots of great restaurants and shops.

We stayed at the Majestic once--pre-cruise package--and were given a tiny room which barely accommodated our luggage. It overlooked the air conditioners.

Next time, we stayed at Hotel 1898 for a lot less money that the cruise line charged--I thought it was a much better location right on Las Ramblas--which was much closer to everything we wanted to see. It was also a WAY better facility with beautiful lounges, rooftop bar, incredible swimming pool and spa. I would stay there again in a heartbeat, but would only stay at the Majestic if it was free!

I prefer the location of the Colon, right across from the Cathedral and in the midst of the Barri Gotic (Gothic area). I booked here but actually ended up cancelling and staying at a smaller boutique hotel, H10 Raco del Pi, in 2006 when I realized that the Cathedral was in scaffolding, so my "room with a view" wouldn't have been so great.

(No worries, the scaffolding is gone now...)

Both Hotel Jazz & Hotel Ingalterra have dropped their rates significantly over the past week if you are interested.

We are a family of 4 and it appears from teh Jazz website guests should be 18 and over.

When I went to the website for teh Jazz and tried it's online booking system, I filled in the # of adults and kids, and the # of rooms we'd need. It brought up "Jazz Room" and "Jazz Corner suite", both of which had a line below stating room is for adults 18 and older.

I then out of curiosity tried to bookj a room for 2 adults. no kids, and the the same rooms came available, with no line about guests 18 and older.

When I went to the website for teh Jazz and tried it's online booking system, I filled in the # of adults and kids, and the # of rooms we'd need. It brought up "Jazz Room" and "Jazz Corner suite", both of which had a line below stating room is for adults 18 and older.

I then out of curiosity tried to bookj a room for 2 adults. no kids, and the the same rooms came available, with no line about guests 18 and older.

I see what you mean. I don't understand this. If you really want to stay there then email them and ask why.

I suspect it is something to do with the size of the room.

I found it strange about children at the Jazz Hotel so I emailed them. This is their reply...

There must be a mistake because the children can stay in our Hotel for sure.

The Jazz rooms have 2 beds or a king size bed, and the Jazz Corner Suite is a bigger room which has also 2 beds or a king size bed and also a sofa-bed for the third adult or 2 little children around 5-6 years old each one.

Archived