Would like more nutritional information

vandalayceo

I always find weight control is always a challenge on a cruise:mad:.

Too many opportunities and too convenient to eat and drink at any time. One of the main reasons we always have our dinner in the MDR is portion control. I always find that at buffets, whether onboard or on shore, even with the best of intentions, I always take too much at a buffet.Don't usually take too much of any one thing but the temptation to "sample" a lot of items means I end up with too much on the plate in total.

I find that the size of the portions at dinner in the dining room is just right, and really helps towards the goal of weight control on a cruise. What would be an additional help is if Princess would provide a calorie count for each dish. As there are a limited number of selections provided, and portions are standard this would not be hard to make available. It could either be a single number on the menu next to the item, or like many restaurants a seperate sheet provided with calorie counts for all the normally offered items.

While most people are aware of the general rules of calorie content (ie lean broiled cuts good, heavy cream sauces bad), it sometimes can be very surprising the differences in a dish depending how it has been prepared. And it never hurts to have the number in front of you to remind you that it all adds up.

Might even result in lowering food costs for Princess once people realize how much they are really ingesting, and start to back off.:)-Yeah, thats going to happen.;)

While I don't personally care too much to know exactly how many calories that there are in the dinners, it would at least be nice for those that do to a a lean selection on the menu each night that they could post the info for.

While it might sound fairly simple to include nutritional information on Princess menus, I'm not sure how reliable it would be. Each ship has its own chef and galley staff, and there are going to be "creative" variations in the interpretation and rendering of recipes. I've had many Princess favorites that have been prepared and presented differently from one ship to another. I've also made some Princess recipes myself, and the results haven't been exactly the same as the food item that I had onboard.

I saw a feature some months ago about the variations in portion size, ingredients, presentation, etc. of Weight Watchers menu items at Applebee's. Even though there are corporate standards for these special dishes, the report indicated that there were inconsistencies in the calories, sodium content, etc. from one restaurant to another. I think the same thing could easily happen with nutritional information for Princess menu items.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

How about a symbol system against each item, similar to how curries are rated with 1, 2 or 3 chillies to determine their strength? Then they wouldn't need to be accurate; just a guide as to roughly how calorific each dish is for people who are calorie counting.

Not that I'll be checking :rolleyes:

How about a symbol system against each item, similar to how curries are rated with 1, 2 or 3 chillies to determine their strength? Then they wouldn't need to be accurate; just a guide as to roughly how calorific each dish is for people who are calorie counting.

Not that I'll be checking :rolleyes:

Isn't that what the Lotus Spa menu is for? They also have that spa symbol next to those items on the regular portion of the menu that are supposedly healthy choices.

Isn't that what the Lotus Spa menu is for? They also have that spa symbol next to those items on the regular portion of the menu that are supposedly healthy choices.

Is the Lotus Spa menu relatively new? I don't recall seeing that last year, or maybe I just didn't notice it. Sounds like a good system is already in place then. :)

Is the Lotus Spa menu relatively new? I don't recall seeing that last year, or maybe I just didn't notice it. Sounds like a good system is already in place then. :)

It's not new. Look to the left side of the regular menu and you should see it. On the right side of the menu, you will see the symbols on the healthier choices as well.

Sticking mainly with the Lotus Spa menu and otherwise trying to order wisely, we have both lost 6 lbs each the last two Princess cruises. In addition to watching what we eat, we also get plenty of exercise dancing and use the stairs whenever possible. We tend to gain more weight at home than we do on a cruise...

I am proud to say I gained 8 ounces on my last 2 cruises. My rule is not to eat things I have easy access to all year long. I go light on breakfast after all bacon is bacon, feast a bit more at lunch but avoid fried foods. At dinner that's where the fun begins. I go for the double entrée and desert then go dancing until the wee hours of the morning. Add to this I walk instead of taking the elevators and limit foo-foo drinks, mainly because of price.

When on vacation, the last thing I want to know is calories, trans fats, etc. I can worry about diet the other 51 weeks of the year. What counts with me is the taste.

I sort of agree. I don't care so much about the taste (it all tastes good), but I do believe in dividing the cost of the cruise by the amount of food I can eat to make sure I get my monies worth.

I usually gain 5-10 pounds on a cruise depending how long it is, even though I take the Yoga and Pilates classes, never take an elevator, and run around the Promenade Deck or treadmills at least an hour every day at sea.

But I never miss a meal, including tea time or an afternoon hamburger or two or three slices of pizza. One of the first thing I do is buy a bucket of beer.

I spend the first few weeks after a cruise taking the weight back off. In April, we are going on a 17 day transatlantic cruise, so last month I started a weight loss crusade with the goal of being 10 pounds below my best weight, so that I am extra skinny when we embark.

Then it won't be gaining so much as it will be regaining.

Archived