VNP Tour or Rent a car?

t501tx

Will we miss a whole lot by renting a car rather than taking a tour of VNP and the surrounding area?

I don't think so. It is an easy drive to VNP from Hilo (but not Kona), so don't be concerned about that. Do some research to see if there are any other places in the Hilo area that you want to visit in addition to VNP, and then plan accordingly.

• Administrators
Is the pass AARP or I wonder if your driver license would work. I am over 65 my daughter and I am renting a car, we plan on seeing VNP.

Delores

It used to be the Golden Eagle, and now is the National Park Service's America the Beautiful pass -- http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm -- $10 for seniors, with various benefits explained at that link.

Regarding visiting VNP, we chose a rental car and didn't regret that choice for even a second. We moved at our own speed, spent as long as we wanted at things that interested us, and skipped (or left quickly) things that didn't.

There is a wealth of information available about VNP for those who rent cars, including the following links:

http://www.nps.gov/havo/ (the official NPS site, paid for with US taxpayer money, and containing pretty much everything you need to know about visiting the park). You can also stop at the park headquarters on the day of your visit for the most recent updates, information on guided ranger walks/hikes which may be offered, and to view the excellent film about the park (all included with your per-car admission).

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/drives/bigisle/volcano.htm -- fabulous drive guides (the base site has them for all islands).

If I opted not to rent a car, I would definitely book one of the small tour services for a more customized touring experience, and in order to avoid spending a significant portion of the day waiting for people to get OFF the bus, or back ON the bus.

We are actually springing for a volcano private tour on this one.... this way we get the benefit of going at our own pace but can rely on someone else to take us everywhere and not worry about directions. They are even bringing us from the ship to our plane tour before we start, and then later including lunch and beverages.

I wouldn't recommend doing this on every island because it would be hard on the pocketbook, but Hilo seemed most suited to a private tour.

Hey Ginny,

Who are you booking your private tour through? That sounds intresting! My DH always make me be the navigator and I have a HORRIBLE sense of direction! Not a good trait for the navigator!!! lol (I have already bought a wall charger for our portable GPS and it is going in my carry on! lol)

This is who I called... originally about the Kilauea lava tour but then he quoted me a decent price for a private tour so I agreed.

http://www.lavatours.com/index.htm

Good idea you have with the GPS....I am either going to bring mine or ask for one with my rental on Oahu. I am thinking I would rather not risk losing the one I have. Plus if I get it with the rental car, most of the sites will have been programmed in. ;)

We will be on the Mercury R/T San Diego to Hawaii March 15th,2009 to March 30,2009

The Mercury will be docked in Lahaina, Maui Monday March 23rd to Tuesday March 24th (Overnight)

I have booked a Convertable From Alamo (Total price $59.61 inc Taxes)

Kaanapali/ Shuttle (JMHO71) 1-808-661-7181

This is the smaller Airport on the west side only 20 min. away

Alamo will pick you up at the ship and return you

We do have to find a place to park the car overnight as we intend to use it at night and have dinner some place on Maui. And may be go see the Sun Rise

STUR DAYTON,OHIO:)

Archived