Swiss Army knife?

northerner

Strange question I know, but I carry mine in my purse all the time and find it very useful. I would like to bring it but I'm not sure if they are allowed? The longest blade is 2 1/2" so I wouldn't call it a weapon, I know the air lines would, but we're not flying so the question is will Carnival allow it? Here is what I found on their site.

f) Weapons, firearms, ammunitions, explosives, incendiary devices, or other dangerous goods are strictly prohibited aboard the vessel. The Guest warrants that no such articles are contained in any receptacle or container carried or presented by him as baggage. Carnival may deny boarding to any Guest travelling with any weapons, firearms, ammunitions, explosives, incendiary devices, or other dangerous goods and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival will confiscate and turn over to the appropriate governmental authorities any of the above articles found on the Guest or his baggage. The Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by his violation of this policy.

Anyone whith experience? :confused:

I always take a small set of tools, which includes a small pocket knife, with me when I cruise. I just pack them in my checked luggage and have never had a problem. I've sailed on NCL, RCCL, and Carnival with no problem.

To put it back in your checked luggage, when your cruise is over! The TSA does NOT like surprises.
The OP specifically stated that they were not flying, so why would the TSA give a rat's patoo? :confused:
I know the air lines would, but we're not flying

I appreciate the replies. I love the link derf, I read the first two and checked out the knives. Pretty cool. And reminds me of a story. I have a few good stories that are true about mine, I would have won! JK> I find it almost more useful then duct tape :D Thanks, that was cool. Theresa :)

I had a pair of manicure scissors conficated a couple of years ago. They were in my make-up case in my carry-on, but they took 'em. That was just after 9/11. Now I put scissors in my cecked bag's outer zippered area (I use the plastic ties to lock my luggage and need the scissors to cut them off!)

My wife's manicure scissors were consfiscated from her makup kit this past August @ Logan so they are still enforcing this.

And this is suprising (to anyone) how? If they are in a carry-on they be confiscated.

I have to ask the OP why she feels the need to bring a Swiss Army Knife? Handy...yes but probably NOT needed on the cruise. Something's broke...call the purser's desk.

I find my blow torch comes in handy at times too but wouldn't think of taking in on a cruise.

I find my blow torch comes in handy at times too but wouldn't think of taking in on a cruise.

So you recommend that I unpack the blowtorch...ok...what about the crockpot and fishing tackle? Would those also be available at the Purser's Desk?

:( It is just something I always have in my purse. I only wanted to know if they were allowed. I am driving to the port so I can leave it in the car till we get back, but I know at least once on the cruise I'll say I wish I had my pocket knife! :eek: Have you ever been away from home and needed to cut, mend, poke, saw, magnify, screw, tweeze, clean a fish, open a wine bottle, ect? After all the great food I'll probably need the leather awl to put another notch in my belt. My DH says the scissors trim mustasches very nicely. It is a very handy gadget. I'll put it in my suitcase, just in case. If they take it, then I'll consider it a tip, and buy a new one when we get back. After all, if I need everything on the list including duct tape, I may as well have it. I can't believe how opinionated and rude some of the people are on this board. Geeze, get a life, there must be better things in life to be so passionate about like the next cruise or the one after that. :( I certainly didn't expect to rile any feathers over this post. And by the way, I don't carry my blow torch in my purse. It never leaves the garage, unless I have something to heat or bend outside, then it returns to its home safely in the garage. It really is not as handy as an acetylene or propane torch, and takes way too much time to fill and pump up. But can shoot some nice flames if you want it to. I don't suppose you really have a clue what a blow torch looks like let alone what they are used for anyhow so it is a mute point. They are not even close to being as handy as my knife. Thanks to all helpful people who responded. Theresa

Explained what a swiss army knife is, she said she never heard of one. Lives in India. Wow, who would have thought. Anyhow, she said it sounds fine, doesn't think it will draw any attention. After the 20 minutes on hold, I'm still glad I posted this question.

swiss army knife is, she said she never heard of one. Lives in India.

Swiss army knife maker Victorinox launched a series of Sikh religious knives or 'kirpans' in India

from

http://in.news.yahoo.com/040901/137/2ft2q.html

Swiss knife maker takes on India

from

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3004094.stm

I agree with you, it seems it's harder and harder to post the most mudane topic without someone getting "Offended" or having to be rude. You can almost guarantee 85% of all posts will go down that route atleast once...

Some people on here (although I know a few, but won't name names...) have REALLY got to check their egos at the door, stop taking themselves too seriously, and most of all - GET A LIFE. This is a freakin cruise chat board.

My poor fiance won't even post on here anymore b/c whenever she asks a question she gets rude responses such as: "why didn't you just do a search?" (Umm..we did do a search first, DA!!), and "we had like 3 threads about this last week" (Let's see, we have lives and dont LIVE on here), and of course the people that get offended if you even mention that Carnival "might" have some room for improvement.

Off my soapbox now.

My poor fiance won't even post on here anymore b/c whenever she asks a question she gets rude responses such as: "why didn't you just do a search?"

Off my soapbox now.

I hope she tries again. When I see "why didn't you just do a search?" I get upset and try to help out with the search. And list some links if I can.

The SOAPBOX League, also known as

from

http://soapbox.hampshire.edu/about.html

do you work for answers.google.com?

if not, you need too!

I actually use Yahoo but I have been going more and more to Google when Yahoo misses. Using Google for me is like infidelity. Altough I might divorce Yahoo and use Google when I get up enuf nerve.

Yahoo vs Google, battle among equals?

from

http://www.ciol.com/content/news/2003/10304115.asp

Yahoo Search vs. Google

from

http://computertoaster.com/archives/search_engine_referrerals_requests/yahoo_search_vs_google.php

I thought I would put my 2 cents in this. Last Dec my husband and I were on the Elation. When we boarded my husband had his knife with him , no problems. When we got off port and back on in Progresso, the guy checked him because the alarm went off. He was very rude to my husband and ask him was he thinking of stabbing someone. My husband told him he has always carried a knife since he was young it is just apart of him, we just were not thinking about this. We locked it up in the safe till we left the ship. I also got stopped because of a piece of juicy fruit gum wrapper in my pocket, so don't take gum with you that has a aluminum wrapper on it. Happy Crusing.. Sharon

Hi

We were on the NCL Star in Hawaii last year. My husband had a pocket knife in one of his carry on luggage, and NCL confiscated it. We were allowed to retrieve it the day before the cruise ended.

It wasn't a big deal. Little embarrassing though.

janet

I have been pondering this question, Why would they take my little 2 1/2 inch swiss army knife when there is a dining room full of steak knives for anyone with bad intentions to abuse? Thanks again for the support. I do think a certain guy with my same date of birth needs to get a grip. You know who you are!

Something's broke...call the purser's desk.

QUOTE]

Gee, I'm out on a shore excursion, and my camera gets knocked out of my hand, hits the rocks and jams. With the philips head on my Swiss army knife, I opened it up and fixed it right there. How was I supposed to call the pursers desk? And what are they going to do? Between my Swiss Army knife and my Leatherman, I've gotten a lot of people out binds that could have ruined their trip and in a couple of cases been dangerous. Let's not mistake some useful tools for something designed as a weapon. We're not talking 16" Bowie Knives here.

When I was staying in a hospital I brought pocket screwdrivers with me. No I didn't have a pocket protector. They brought a wheelchair for me to use that the seat was loose.

And now you know the rest of the story.

His voice is his trademark

from

http://www.presidentialprayerteam.org/aiaward/2002_october.php

Archived