river tubing

New Cruiser 13

I'm not positive but I believe the river tubing in Grenada has to be booked through the ship. I have asked several questions about river tubing in Grenada and received more response over on the Dominica board since I couldn't decide which place to do this. When are you going? I will be river tubing the first week in March so I can let you know how it goes.

I currently have the one in Dominica booked but wondering if Grenada is better. I prefer to have a more lazy river feel and not a flume ride where I am scared I will flip over. I think I had read here that Dominica was tamer, but I am not sure.

This is from the thread on the Dominica shore excursions.

Sorry I'm slow in responding. Life seems to get in the way since we got back from our cruise, darn it! Yes, we are talking about river tubing in Grenada. The website is adventuregrenada. I had read a few bad reviews also, but we couldn't find anything else that we thought sounded fun on Grenada, so we went for it anyway. It wasn't our favorite shore excursion, but we really liked it and had a lot of fun. It's about a 40 minute drive to the Balthazaar Estate. Once you leave the city, it's a beautiful drive--You pass through the Grand Etang Reserve--there are some hairpin turns though! I don't remember if the van was airconditioned--I don't think so, but we weren't hot at all. Once you arrive, they give you a helmet, a life jacket, and help you onto the tube. Right at the beginning, the guides really splash you, and then at the end they splash you, but the rest of the river, they are in the river helping you past the bigger rocks. In places, the river really splashes you too, but not all of the time--it's a combo of smooth and fast. There are certain places in the river where rope is strung across, and everyone must stop at the ropes and hang on. Once everyone is together again, they send everyone through a few at a time. One of the stops, the guides do back flips off the river's edge into the water.

Our tour met at the pier at 1:50 and we were back on the ship by 5:00.

Let me know if there's anything else I can answer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, I just returned from doing the river tubing in Grenada so I'll answer my own question. The tubing was a blast and so much fun. Yes, the guys splash you but you get splashed so much by the water anyway that it doesn't make a difference. At the finish line I would've loved to start back at the beginning again. Adventure Tours does the river tubing but you have to book it through the ship. It was one of our favorite excursions ever!

Thanks for the review, how was the ride to the river? I wanted to do Dominica but DH heard about the roads there and does not want to do it.

The roads are not bad in Grenada. They are definitely worse in Dominica. The ride to the river tubing in Grenada takes about 45 minutes and the bus driver is an interesting guy who narrates along the way. We had a great tour with Levi in Dominica so don't miss this gorgeous island because of the roads.

• 2 weeks later...

So I did end up booking the tubing in Grenada and Titou Gorge/Hot Springs through Princess in Dominica. I am thinking maybe sitting on the right side of the vehicle will be better than the left?? I just don't want to feel like I am going to tumble down the mountain.

So I did end up booking the tubing in Grenada and Titou Gorge/Hot Springs through Princess in Dominica. I am thinking maybe sitting on the right side of the vehicle will be better than the left?? I just don't want to feel like I am going to tumble down the mountain.

I had the same thought but it's not going to make a difference. The road in Dominica goes to one lane for most of the way! Grenada is not bad, Dominica can be downright scary at times!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I am interested in knowing if anyone has taking a river tubing excursion on Dominica or Grenada and how was their experience? Took on Jamaica and had a blast. Also, interested in knowing if anyone knows any private river tubing outfits.

Hi,

We did this trip in Dominica, http://www.wackyrollers.com/tubing.htm

Thro the boards and roll call we had a group of 14 , the cost in 2008 was

$60 pp which included transport, it was a great trip, some slow parts and some fast.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the river tubing tour in Grenada this past April. My opinion was that it was pretty mild and would have liked a little more adventure. It was a good tour of the island though.

I couldn't believe how some of the people were put out at the fact that you actually got wet on this tour...Hello, it's called river tubing! The guides make it fun by cliff diving and putting on a show, and yes they will splash you on your way down the river, so don't be surprised like some of the people on our tour were!

• 2 weeks later...
so what do you see on the river tubing..any stops or just floating ?

The ride up to the river is quite interesting, plus they make the customary stop on the way back at a store where they sell spices, etc. There isn't much of a view on the river. You couldn't see it anyway because you're trying not to hit the rocks. It was good fun though. I would do it again for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
does anyone know if you have to be able to swim to do this?

You probably don't have to be able to swim, but I wouldn't do it unless I could swim. Also don't think you can put a small child on the tube and stay along with them. That's not the way it works. Our group was completely split up by the rush of the water so you can't help a small child if they get separated from you. And some people were dumped out in the water.

first time cruisers really first vacation like this and im really thinking hard about a tubing excursion and i just have one off the wall question as you do a trip like this how do you carry or take care of the paper work you have to carry

( i assume you need to carry passport id and some money)

thanks Larry

Archived