Royal Caribbean made me sail on Carnival, and I liked it!

To the SoCal RCCLers-

I know I should know this, but the memory is going. Did you used to have two RCI ships in So Cal? I know you had the 3/4 day cruises on Monarch. Did another ship do 7-day cruises? Is Mariner replacing Monarch or are the itineraries different? I think you'll love the Mariner, the Voyager class is a great type of ship.

To the SoCal RCCLers-

I know I should know this, but the memory is going. Did you used to have two RCI ships in So Cal? I know you had the 3/4 day cruises on Monarch. Did another ship do 7-day cruises? Is Mariner replacing Monarch or are the itineraries different? I think you'll love the Mariner, the Voyager class is a great type of ship.

Yes, the west coast used to have two ships, The Monarch (3 and 4 nighters to Ensenada) and The Vision which did a 7 nighter. The Mariner will replace the Vision in about 3 days, thank goodness! :D:D

###

Great review! My husband and did a similar compare/contrast after we got off Inspiration (though we didn't take the time to write it down for the benefit of CC, thank you for that) and our end result was very similar to yours. Compared to RCI, the CCL ship was a wee bit tacky, but other things more than made up for it. We still love RCI, but if the price is right, we'll go CCL again.

Good riddance. Royal doesn't want you, and neither do we. There is something to be said about those that remain Loyal to Royal. I believe it goes something like through sickness and in health...

Wow ... that was uncalled for. Did you even read the review? One might even consider calling her a "Royal Caribbean Cheerleader" ... :rolleyes:

If we wanted a carnival review, wouldnt we go to their boards?

You may find this hard to believe, but many of us in CA have been waiting for this review. It offers a good comparision of the Monarch cruises, which used to be available to us in CA, and Carnival, which is the only 3-4 night cruise available to us, now. I believe it could easily be posted on both boards. JMHO ... ~ L

Your last posting said everything I was thinking after reading those two other posts...BRAVO!....

Some folks forget this is a forum for the free expression of thoughts and opinions. To be slammed like Jean was (twice) was totally uncalled for.

She's sharp enough she won't care about those two posts....the rest of us are likely more upset about them than she'll ever be!!!

Thanks again!

Wow ... that was uncalled for. Did you even read the review? One might even consider calling her a "Royal Caribbean Cheerleader" ... :rolleyes:

I see that someone didn't get there nap today and is a wee bit cranky. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sticking up for me, ladies (and Steve-O, too).

Good riddance. Royal doesn't want you, and neither do we. There is something to be said about those that remain Loyal to Royal. I believe it goes something like through sickness and in health... no i didn't read the review. but anyone who sailed on carnival because of royal doesn't belong with the royal fleet.

And who is "we", pray tell? The good citizens of the Nation of Why Not?:rolleyes:

Jean - thanks for the great review. It was very fair and RCI prevailed in many categories. Ignore the negative comments - those that know you know the reasons you posted. Responding to a post written by someone that didn't even read what you wrote, and doesn't know why you wrote it, isn't worth your time. You have been and are such a great promotor of RCI. When RCI took Monarch away it really left no alternatives to those wonderful 3 and 4 day Monarch cruises in the market out there. I hope someday RCI will bring a 3-4 day cruise back for that area and we'll come out and join all of the great people from that area that we met last October. Thanks! Mary

to answer your question, no i didn't read the review. but anyone who sailed on carnival because of royal doesn't belong with the royal fleet.

Let me say this first if you knew the OP which I have the pleasure of knowing you would find that she has been on more RCL cruises then anyone I know so before making your absurd comments make sure you know what your are talking about before gracing us with your words of wisdom. Please go back under the rock you crawl out from.

What a fantastic review of our Refugees cruise this past weekend!

It's really sad to see what's going on in Ensenada, and I do hope the arrival of the Elation twice each week will help their economy. I had a nice chat with one of my favorite street vendors, from whom I have purchased many things, and she told me it has not been good since October.

My first cruise ever was on Carnival Ecstasy, :eek: and like another poster, it was the worst cruise of my life. It is a miracle that I decided to take a second cruise, but doing so resulting in my discovery of the Monarch. I have also been on the Elation and the Paradise (twice) prior to this weekend, so if anyone is concerned about the Elation or the Paradise, have no fear. Go and enjoy yourself!

I have two pictures of the mighty group of five wearing "Monarch Refugees" t-shirts that I'll be mailing to Miami sometime in the next week. My favorite of the two has the Carnival whale tail smokestack in the background! I'm also going to send a picture of the empty berth where Monarch would have been with the words, "What's missing from this picture?" added in.

:cool:

What a fantastic review of our Refugees cruise this past weekend!

It's really sad to see what's going on in Ensenada, and I do hope the arrival of the Elation twice each week will help their economy. I had a nice chat with one of my favorite street vendors, from whom I have purchased many things, and she told me it has not been good since October.

My first cruise ever was on Carnival Ecstasy, :eek: and like another poster, it was the worst cruise of my life. It is a miracle that I decided to take a second cruise, but doing so resulting in my discovery of the Monarch. I have also been on the Elation and the Paradise (twice) prior to this weekend, so if anyone is concerned about the Elation or the Paradise, have no fear. Go and enjoy yourself!

I have two pictures of the mighty group of five wearing "Monarch Refugees" t-shirts that I'll be mailing to Miami sometime in the next week. My favorite of the two has the Carnival whale tail smokestack in the background! I'm also going to send a picture of the empty berth where Monarch would have been with the words, "What's missing from this picture?" added in.

:cool:

Jim, would you mind emailing me a copy of the picture? I'd love to see it! :D ~ L

Great comparsion review!

We too tried Carnival for the first time in Dec. Mainly because they cruise from our home port of Galveston. We were on the Ecstasy which many seem to have bad memories off. Loved the wine policy on Carnival. We carried on 5 bottles which we had in the dining room with no corkage fee. Gotta love it!

Great getaway cruise and a good value. Look at her reviews since being in Galveston, she seems to be doing pretty good now.

Anyway, reviews like this one let us set our expectations properly for the change in cruise lines. I find that once I know what to expect I enjoy the positive differences and avoid many of the negatives.

Thanks again.

Nice review. It's good to try other lines. I have a few that I really like but it's nice to see what the competition is doing. Royal Caribbean is wowing me with those Freedom ships. Just loved it and am going back again.

Did not care for the Carnival interiors. Tacky and gaudy come to mind. Looks like someone designed the ships while on LSD. Tried the line twice and backed away. Just wasn't for me. The whole experience left a lot to be desired.

Good riddance. Royal doesn't want you, and neither do we. There is something to be said about those that remain Loyal to Royal. I believe it goes something like through sickness and in health...

I agree. Uncalled for.

I don't know the OP personally but have been reading her posts since I joined this site.

Knowing how she feels about RC and now knowing she has sailed CCL and as she said 'liked it' it surely held some weight with most of us that have saled royal-never Carnival but are finding we may have to look elsewhere for the simple reason- our budget!!

Thanks Again critterchick!!!

If only you really knew the OP you would eat your words.

So Jean when is the next RC made me sail on Carnival group cruise????? :D

Thanks for the review, enjoyed reading it. :)

Virginia what a great idea for the California contingency.

Jean thanks for your as ever, clear concise and honest review.

to answer your question, no i didn't read the review. but anyone who sailed on carnival because of royal doesn't belong with the royal fleet.

If we wanted a carnival review, wouldnt we go to their boards?

Lighten up people. This was not just a Carnival review. It was a comparison between two cruise lines. Put down the cheerleader pom poms and read for a change.

First, thank you for a great review and comparison.

What exactly is Princess' pizza model?

It must be nice. Maybe they put it together with model glue and hang it over Sorrentos. Kids can look at it and say "Mom...Dad..I want a model like that".

RCI could sell a lot of those.

just sayin.

Archived