Your opinions on mini-suite designation

maitaihi

i knew that balconies and minis get breakfast and lunch? in the alternate main dining room but I was unaware of a different room service menu. Is this true, and if so, does anyone have that menu? Thanks

That must have been what I was thinking of, as opposed to a room service menu. So is something special served at breakfast/lunch?

I agree the designation for "mini-suite" really does need to be changed. But where it needs to be changed first is on NCL's website!!

All of the suites and cabins are sorted by category and the suites all have the leter "a" as a part of the cabin category. The mini-suites are listed within the suite category and not under balconies where they really should be. As a newcomer looking at the website it is no wonder you would think that there would be perks associated with an "AF" or "AG" cabin when it is in the list of other suite cabins.

Someone mentioned that one of the problems is that online travel agencies are still listing it as a suite - all they are doing is following NCL's website. They are simply mirroring what NCL is communicating - which in my mind is quite misleading!

I really wish they would work on their website - so many inconsistencies.

I completely agree that the mini suites should be renamed to deluxe balcony or superior balcony. Part of the confusion is that sites other than NCL's often do show the mini suites as getting suite benefits. NCL also led to some of the confusion. For example I still have my 2007-2008 Freestyle Cruising brochure. In it NCL listed the mini suite with the suite section (as opposed to the balcony pages) and made it look like mini suites got suite perks. In addition on their site it is NCL who lists the mini suites with the suites instead of with the balconies.

Does anyone know how to start a poll on this issue? We know NCl checks these boards, maybe they would like to see actual numbers.

I was just looking at the NCL site. Does it even tell you anywhere in the cabin descriptions or pricing that something is a mini suite as opposed to a full suite? Am I just missing it?

Could someone clarify which category or categories is minisuite?

Thanks.

I was just looking at the NCL site. Does it even tell you anywhere in the cabin descriptions or pricing that something is a mini suite as opposed to a full suite? Am I just missing it?

Thanks.

Mini's are either AF's or AG's, depending on the ship. Sometimes (like the Jewel) they have both AF's and AG's (don't ask me what the difference is..maybe location?)

If you go to NCL's website and do a "mock" booking, when the cabin categories come up, click at the top on "category descriptions" to see all of the cabin categories on that particular ship. You will notice that even though AF's and AG's are listed in the suite category, their description does NOT contain the following statement, which IS included in all other suite category descriptions:

"Butler service and concierge available."

CG

I perfer the AF minisuite on the Star. It is larger, and I know only by a few feet but those few feet make a huge difference. The bathtub is nice if you are like me and enjoy a nice hot bubble bath after a long day of activities. Also you get the daul air units in the AF, my husband loves that. He is hot natured and after staying in the AF will not stay in anything less.

Mini's are either AF's or AG's, depending on the ship. Sometimes (like the Jewel) they have both AF's and AG's (don't ask me what the difference is..maybe location?)

If you go to NCL's website and do a "mock" booking, when the cabin categories come up, click at the top on "category descriptions" to see all of the cabin categories on that particular ship. You will notice that even though AF's and AG's are listed in the suite category, their description does NOT contain the following statement, which IS included in all other suite category descriptions:

CG

AG is a "mini-suite guarantee" - normally a little cheaper than an AF. AF is a mini-suite where you pick your cabin. If you book AG, you can wind up in any mini-suite. Sometimes the deck plans show AG's - normally the two rear-most cabins on each side on Deck 11 - but the only people who ever get to occupy those are people who book late.

We book an AG, save the $$ and get assigned somewhere on Deck 11. Since there is no bad cabin on Deck 11, the extra $$ goes for shore excursions or meals in the specialty restaurants.

AG is a "mini-suite guarantee" - normally a little cheaper than an AF. AF is a mini-suite where you pick your cabin. If you book AG, you can wind up in any mini-suite. Sometimes the deck plans show AG's - normally the two rear-most cabins on each side on Deck 11 - but the only people who ever get to occupy those are people who book late.

Are you sure about an AG always being guarantee and which ship are you talking about that the two rear most cabins are the AG's and late people only get those? I've never heard this before.

Are you sure about an AG always being guarantee and which ship are you talking about that the two rear most cabins are the AG's and late people only get those? I've never heard this before.

On the newer ships (Pearl, Jewel, etc) that is the case. We have several friends who have gone the "AG" route (we have on our upcoming Pearl cruise) and all wound up with mid-ship cabins.

There are a couple of the older ships that use "AG" for a specific cabin class - but the newer ships use it for "guarantee".

From the NCL cabin descriptions:

cat_AF.gif Mini-Suite

Sitting area, private balcony, two lower beds that convert to a queen-size bed and luxury bath and shower. (Staterooms for persons with disabilities have a shower only.)

cat_AG.gif Mini-Suite

Sitting area, private balcony, two lower beds that convert to a queen-size bed and luxury bath and shower.

Thanks.

Compare the prices of say BA to AF. AF is higher, but not by too much. Then compare AF to AD or AC AB AA and you will see the price double or more. Those are the real suites.

We had a balcony on the Sky last week. Here are the room service menus - I don't know how they differ from any other stateroom.

Oh, if you have more than 2 in a balcony, the space is tight. A mini-suite is a much nicer cabin.

Do you know a way I can enlarge the photos? I can't read them. They come up as thumbnails. Do you have a link to a site where they are stored that has a "full size" function? Thanks

We do have 3 adults booked in a balcony and after reading these posts I will now be looking to see if the price of a mini falls so we don't have to pay a surcharge (I can always dream, can't I?). BUT we have a stern balcony and I'm not sure I'd want to give up a 96 sq ft balcony for a 54 sq ft one.

so glad i found this before i decided which to book on Star BC or AF

Sorry, but the mini-suites don't get the "suite" perks. The mini-suite is larger (229 square feet) than a balcony (166 square feet). And the mini-suite has a bath tub rather than just a shower.

The Star has 36 full suites (AE - A1) and a total of 107 mini-suites.

so an AF is slightly larger balcony w/a tub & more storage? no special checkin line:( but better room service menu...im lost:o

We sailed the Star in a balcony/September in 2 mini suites just recently.

We fretted about the upgrade from balconies to mini's based on some of info we'd read here.

We LOVED it! The balconies are larger in mini's and we really noticed the extra square footage as we had 7 of us in the two mini's. The mini's really are just enough different on the Star and you will appreciate the extra square footage.

The only thing I didn't like is the way the big closet with storage shelfs ran parallel to the bed. It made it really hard to get to stuff you stashed on shelves after everything had been hung up even with the little closet light on.

so, the rooms r wider as opposed to longer to make up the space it appears?

one think i like about the pics i've seen of the MS is fact that there is something opposite the bed to throw ur stuff upon, balcony appears mostly wall with a small area near the balcony:confused:

CG

on major booking site that shall go unamed, for the Star they list it under AF description, so they're wrong then?

:(

Located on deck(s): 11

Minisuite

Square footage: 229 sq ft

Balcony square footage: 54 sq ft

Occupancy: Up to 3 guests (some sleep up to 4)

Amenities: Private balcony, sitting area, two lower beds that convert to a queen-size bed, walk-in closet, luxury bathroom with shower, refrigerator, and safe

Extras: Concierge service available .

on major booking site that shall go unamed, for the Star they list it under AF description, so they're wrong then?

Minisuite

Amenities: Private balcony, sitting area, two lower beds that convert to a queen-size bed, walk-in closet, luxury bathroom with shower, refrigerator, and safe

When I first booked a mini-suite on NCL, the brochure indicated concierge service would be available. Upon checking in, no mention of concierge service was to be found in any of our in-cabin materials.

When the next NCL catalog was mailed to me, there was no more mention of concierge service for mini-suites. I think it was a short-lived perk for mini-suites. I've noticed that many online booking sites have outdated cabin photos and descriptions. That may be the case with the site you're looking at.

you are mostly likely onto something;)

btw, big sale, etc. wound up changing cabin to AG minisuite (a confirmed cabin # had a couple to choose from), nearly $500 less than the AF i had booked day before, odd - yet works for me!

so glad i found this before i decided which to book on Star BC or AF

so an AF is slightly larger balcony w/a tub & more storage? no special checkin line:( but better room service menu...im lost:o

so, the rooms r wider as opposed to longer to make up the space it appears?

one think i like about the pics i've seen of the MS is fact that there is something opposite the bed to throw ur stuff upon, balcony appears mostly wall with a small area near the balcony:confused:

Minisuite

Up until a couple of years ago, the AF & AG mini-suites did have "concierge service available". I don't recall for sure when NCL did away with that.

The mini-suite is larger than a balcony cabin (229' vs 166') and also has a larger balcony (54' vs 37'). It has a bath tub and a curtain that pulls around the bed.

No special check-in and just the regular room service menu. Only full suites have the special room service menu which is served by their butler.

Up until a couple of years ago, the AF & AG mini-suites did have "concierge service available". I don't recall for sure when NCL did away with that.

The mini-suite is larger than a balcony cabin (229' vs 166') and also has a larger balcony (54' vs 37'). It has a bath tub and a curtain that pulls around the bed.

No special check-in and just the regular room service menu. Only full suites have the special room service menu which is served by their butler.

The fact that what you have posted is 100% correct will likely not deter 5 or 10 more people from posting something contradictory based on what they "think" or what they "heard" or what their precious opinion is. :D

We are on the Star for the May 23, 2009 cruise to Alaska in an AF mini-suite. We booked this before I started reading the threads regarding the “mini-suite” category. I’m confused about why we don’t get some of same perks that suites get? The word “mini-suite” suggests a “small” suite. Why are the mini-suites really considered just a balcony? I don’t think it is fair to have to pay for the name “mini-suite” when you are actually getting a balcony which sells for less with no perks. What is your opinion about this misrepresentation?

Prncess also calls them mini suites. RCI classes them junor suites and no they are not considered suites on those lines either. Some say call them deluxe balconies. I am not sure that is accurate either as HAL has what the call deluxe veranda and I can honestly say our mini suite on NCL was larger. I now know on HAL we would need to go up another category to get the same sized stateroom. a deluxe veranda was cramped with 3 people, whereas we had plenty of room for 3 in our NCL min suite.

People need to realize a mini suite is roomier than a balcony stateroom-but still not nearly as nice as a suite, (and minus the perks) I guess.

I think that is the problem. Mini suites USED to have perks on NCL. However, on Princess, RCI, and HAL-mini suites-junior suites-deluxe verandas, never had suite perks.

Does NCL provide priority tenders and embarking for this category as they do with other suites? Do they have a seperate breakfast area for the guests in AF? I will be on the Dawn next week in one of these because most penthouse and bigger suites were limited to two people and we will be bringing a child along.

Archived