Tell me about a Sky Suite

Breezey

Hi again.

As far as the beers, ice,,sodas,,,as someone else stated,,they are not free, but regular price.

As far as tipping,,,,when we first met our butler and was introduced,,,Alwi was very thorough explaining things,,,as we were "newbies" to cruising. I outlined our expectations to him and what we wanted and he was more than cooperative with us. When we met Rosa our housekeeping girl,,,she was just the same. I gave them both a little extra right when we met them.

All during out cruise,,whatever we wanted, both were more than willing to please. DH and I were treated like a King and Queen,,,,so when getting ready to leave,,,we showed our appreciation for their efforts and left them a little something more. I realize the tipping is included,,,but I do firmly believe when people are excellent at their jobs, and they go the extra mile,,,they deserve the "little extra".

If any of you experience Alwi or Rosa on your Celebrity cruise,,,you will see what I mean!!:)

We were on the Solstice in cabin 1198 Sky Suite, Cat. S1. This cabin is at the aft part of the ship on the corner. The balcony is curved somewhat. Not as big a balcony as we have had on other ships. The large round window in our cabin along with the balcony was wonderful. We also had the window washer at the corner of our balcony.

There was my husband, my adult daughter and myself and we had plenty of room and storage. The sink was a nice feature and drawers in the bathroom was nice too. The bathroom did seem a little smaller than what we have had before, on this category. We got off of this cruise on Feb. 1, 2009.

The Butler, John was good. He brought us snacks every afternoon at 4:00 p.m. and then goodies again around 5:30 everyday. We also ordered breakfast in our room most mornings. John came and setup for us too. We had dinner one night ,and he delivers and sets up everything just like you were at the dining room too. We did have our tips taken off of our account because we like to hand them to each person in person. This is just our opinion though. We enjoyed our 2 free meals in the specialty resturants that came with our suite. They did try to charge us for one of them and had to get that straightened out.

Also, want to mention, the 42" TV. It had a lot of features that we haven't had before. You don't have to ask for DVD's, they are on your TV. You can watch a movie and stop in the middle, hit pause and come back within 48 hours and start right where you left the movie. You can also view you pics on the tv too. My daughter needed a firmer pillow and that was provided.

The food on the buffet was lacking. We didn't have very much selection and not much variety.

In regards to the balcony, there was only 2 chairs, 2 footstools, and 1

small table. Remember, there was 3 of us. We had to ask for another chair, which we got for a couple of days and then they came and took it and brought us another small straight chair, that looked like it came from the Goodwill. For the price of this cruise and being a Celebrity ship, you would have thought they could have done better. We didn't complain.

If anyone has any questions, I would be glad to try to answer them.

We did do a back-to-back cruise. We did the second cruise for 10 days on the HAL Noordam and it was nice too. Alot more selection of food in the buffet. No butler though. A balcony to die for (very large). We got off of this cruise on Feb. 12, 2009.

If a cruise line could combine some of the best features of each ship into one, WHOA what a ship this would be.

Wanda

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences! I have been reading these posts to DH and he is really excited about the idea of dinner in our suite now. Room service never sounded so good!

A couple of random questions.

1) I know we are supposed to have priority embarkation, but does that just mean if you arrive early you can board early or that there is a separate line (hopefully a short one) for suites? We are doing the Baltics and while the ship departs at 4 PM we want to get on at the last possible minute to allow us as much time as possible to enjoy our pre-cruise plans.

2) Is the fabulous fresh orange juice just available via room service in the AM or all day?

3) Is there a decent hair dryer in the room or can I request one from our butler? I have long hair that prefers to be curly and that I prefer to dry straight - so I need a good hair dryer but don't want to schlep mine to Europe if I can avoid it.

Thanks so much for all of the help!

Another Q: Is it true that you can't get fresh squeezed juice in a sky suite but can in cc? It sounds like the breakfast menu has more selection in cc as well? Surely that can't be true. Can anyone who has been in a ss speak to this? We might do a first for our first Celebrity Cruise and downgrade to a cc. Save ourselves money and improve the quality of that breakfast we want on our veranda.

Thanks

SuzCruise - "most" of the time you can get anything from the CC room menu (when you are booked in a suite) if you simply write those wanted items in, "most" of the butlers will do whatever they can to make your cruise wonderful and will go above and beyond, give them the opportunity.

We have had sky suites on Galaxy, Mercury, and Century. We had a CC on Millenium. We absolutely love the Sky Suites. We enjoyed the CC as we were paying for two cabins that time. We have had wonderful butlers that have been very attentive to all of our needs. I thank everyone for the information on Cabin 6132 as we have that one booked for our Mediteranean Cruise in November! We do not normally require a lot from the butlers but they are there when you need them. Our butler in November made my birthday a very special day -- champagne from him, he decorated the room on behalf of my sister who ordered them via the shipboard gifts, and he also made arrangements with the dining room to make sure they had a cake for me. I agree that having breakfast on the verandah is the best way to start the day!

We were on the Solstice in cabin 1198 Sky Suite, Cat. S1. This cabin is at the aft part of the ship on the corner. The balcony is curved somewhat. Not as big a balcony as we have had on other ships. The large round window in our cabin along with the balcony was wonderful. We also had the window washer at the corner of our balcony.

There was my husband, my adult daughter and myself and we had plenty of room and storage. The sink was a nice feature and drawers in the bathroom was nice too. The bathroom did seem a little smaller than what we have had before, on this category. We got off of this cruise on Feb. 1, 2009.

The Butler, John was good. He brought us snacks every afternoon at 4:00 p.m. and then goodies again around 5:30 everyday. We also ordered breakfast in our room most mornings. John came and setup for us too. We had dinner one night ,and he delivers and sets up everything just like you were at the dining room too. We did have our tips taken off of our account because we like to hand them to each person in person. This is just our opinion though. We enjoyed our 2 free meals in the specialty resturants that came with our suite. They did try to charge us for one of them and had to get that straightened out.

Also, want to mention, the 42" TV. It had a lot of features that we haven't had before. You don't have to ask for DVD's, they are on your TV. You can watch a movie and stop in the middle, hit pause and come back within 48 hours and start right where you left the movie. You can also view you pics on the tv too. My daughter needed a firmer pillow and that was provided.

The food on the buffet was lacking. We didn't have very much selection and not much variety.

In regards to the balcony, there was only 2 chairs, 2 footstools, and 1

small table. Remember, there was 3 of us. We had to ask for another chair, which we got for a couple of days and then they came and took it and brought us another small straight chair, that looked like it came from the Goodwill. For the price of this cruise and being a Celebrity ship, you would have thought they could have done better. We didn't complain.

If anyone has any questions, I would be glad to try to answer them.

We did do a back-to-back cruise. We did the second cruise for 10 days on the HAL Noordam and it was nice too. Alot more selection of food in the buffet. No butler though. A balcony to die for (very large). We got off of this cruise on Feb. 12, 2009.

If a cruise line could combine some of the best features of each ship into one, WHOA what a ship this would be.

Wanda

Wanda - we are in this same suite on 4/12, so I appreciated reading a bit about it. I have a couple of questions -- did the window washer interfere with your view or take up any space that you would have had? Did you have any problem with soot? Was there a pole in this cabin (I saw some pictures of other aft suites that had one or two poles in them...very odd), how was storage space and closet space? Did you have enough hangers? Thanks for your input.

Another Q: Is it true that you can't get fresh squeezed juice in a sky suite but can in cc? It sounds like the breakfast menu has more selection in cc as well? Surely that can't be true. Can anyone who has been in a ss speak to this? We might do a first for our first Celebrity Cruise and downgrade to a cc. Save ourselves money and improve the quality of that breakfast we want on our veranda.

Thanks

Hello All:

We've stayed in both the CC and SS on the Mercury. With the SS you have so much more room to move around, The menu to choose from was better than in the CC rooms, and I believe CC is a bit better than regular room menu. It's been a few years since we had a CC room. We decided to upgraded to SS, and now I don't want to go back:( So just FYI you may become addicted:D If something you want isn't on the menu just write it in. It will be there when they deliver. Plus in the Sky Suite on the Mercury they have Jacuzzi tub's which are wonderful!!! I'm not sure that's true on all SS though.

We always have breakfast in the room. We Placed our order the night before, and the approximate time we wanted breakfast. Our Butler would call us on his way up so you had a few minutes to grab a robe if you needed. It was heaven. After the first day our butler would bring us a pot of coffee, pitcher of Orange juice, and brought us our wonderful cappacino's from cova cafe in a coffee pot so it kept them warm.

Hope you have a great cruise:)

Reading this post made me start browsing through my pictures,and I found this one. Don't forget You can also ask your butler to put something together for a little party in your room. We did pay our butler extra for this, but it was well worth it, and everybody had a great time.

th_IMG_1396.jpg

SuzCruise: They did have a blowdryer in the bathroom, which worked fine for me, and also in the SS a great makeup mirror.

We had a SS on Mercury, one of the best cruises ever! Our Butler was such a sweet, sweet man...ever smiling, and so attentive, but not too much. The afternoon tea was great, if we were not there when he came in the afternoon, he so beautifully left us little treats and tea service in our room for our return. He served us a formal dinner one evening in our room, as we did not want to go to the dining room that night and he made us really feel like we were the only people on earth he had to care for! Go for it, you won't regret it and our balcony was 2x the size of others...:)

Reading this post made me start browsing through my pictures,and I found this one. Don't forget You can also ask your butler to put something together for a little party in your room. We did pay our butler extra for this, but it was well worth it, and everybody had a great time.

th_IMG_1396.jpg

SuzCruise: They did have a blowdryer in the bathroom, which worked fine for me, and also in the SS a great makeup mirror.

If you have some friends in for a get together, and you ask him to bring some food or treats, do you have to pay for the food (exclusive of tipping him of course).

We have never had to pay for the goodies. We order them from the room service menu. I don't know if that would be the case if you order anything else special from your butler. It might depend on the butler.

We had a SS on Summit last year for a TA. I am totally spoiled now, so our next trip - on Mercury - we booked a SS on deck 12. Can't wait!

[quote name='bubbie617']We have never had to pay for the goodies. We order them from the room service menu. I don't know if that would be the case if you order anything else special from your butler. It might depend on the butler.

We had a SS on Summit last year for a TA. I am totally spoiled now, so our next trip - on Mercury - we booked a SS on deck 12. Can't wait![/quote]

Thanks -- our cruise critic group is having a cabin crawl, and we are one of the cabins --- might be nice to have something then.

[quote name='Shirley C']If you have some friends in for a get together, and you ask him to bring some food or treats, do you have to pay for the food (exclusive of tipping him of course).[/quote]

No; you don't have to pay extra for the food, but you do need to give them a least a day in advance notice. I had asked him the day before that I was thinking of doing a party in the room, and he had asked me what I had in mind. I had told him whatever he thought would go with wine and beer. He brought us crackers, cheese, meat plate, fruit plate and shrimp plate, peanuts ect. He just needed to know for how many, and what time I wanted it. We had a lot of left overs, and as this was on an Alaskan cruise and it was cold outside, and there wasn't a lot of room left in the refrigerator. I just put the leftovers out on our deck covered in plastic, with a blanket over them, and snacked on them for a day or so afterwards.
For those kind of things we do always tip above and beyond what they suggest for the normal tipping amount. They don't require you pay extra, but for something like that but we always do. Especially when we get great service, and I usually like to pay them some cash in advance. It seems like we always get better service.:)

[quote name='Shipofdreamsgirl']No; you don't have to pay extra for the food, but you do need to give them a least a day in advance notice. I had asked him the day before that I was thinking of doing a party in the room, and he had asked me what I had in mind. I had told him whatever he thought would go with wine and beer. He brought us crackers, cheese, meat plate, fruit plate and shrimp plate, peanuts ect. He just needed to know for how many, and what time I wanted it. We had a lot of left overs, and as this was on an Alaskan cruise and it was cold outside, and there wasn't a lot of room left in the refrigerator. I just put the leftovers out on our deck covered in plastic, with a blanket over them, and snacked on them for a day or so afterwards.
For those kind of things we do always tip above and beyond what they suggest for the normal tipping amount. They don't require you pay extra, but for something like that but we always do. Especially when we get great service, and I usually like to pay them some cash in advance. It seems like we always get better service.:)[/quote]

Great idea as my Roll Call group want to do a Cabin Crawl and my cabin will definitely be one of the rooms. How many people came to your party? I think we are talking upwards of 30 at the moment (and the cruise is not until April 2010).

Holy Cow!!! that's a lot of people. Hopefully your in the penthouse, or a Royal Suite. We only had 8 guests. I think I've read some threads on Roll Call groups that didn't have enough people to do a Cruise Critic Party so they had their own party going from room to room. Actually I think it would really be a lot of fun to be able to see all the different types of rooms, Wonder how well you would be able to move with that many people in the room:eek:

Hey; it sounds like a lot of fun to me:).
Which ship are you cruising on? The Mercury doesn't have the partitions that open. They are metal and look pretty stout, and you can't see through them. We were in SS 1202, and that has a huge balcony. You could get a lot of people on that balcony. Our upcoming cruise is on the Millennium. I doesn't look like the partitions open on it either. I will have to do some checking on that, They don't look as stout as the Mercury and it looks like you can kind of see through them so maybe they can be opened. We might have to try what you guys are doing. A cabin crawl does sound like fun:D

We had Sky Suite 2135 on Solstice. It was our very first cruise, so of course our first experience with a butler also. Wow, we felt like royalty on that cruise! If our butler saw us coming down the hallway, he would hurry to open our door before we could get there, and always addressed us Mr and Mrs. We had him serve us breakfast two mornings, and he always set up the table with tablecloth, etc the night before (this was the sofa table, not the one on the balcony). Our room attendant also seemed to be overly friendly, admiring my dresses in the evening etc. She was awesome, and our room was absolutely spotless each day between her and her assistant. If we showered more than once per day, each time there would be more of those giant fluffy towels in our bathroom, and the shower wiped down as if it were the first day. Our suite was actually much more room than we needed for two people, with tons of storage space--huge closet, lots of large drawers in the make-up table, and also in the wet bar area.

Our butler at first brought tea snacks, and then shortly later the shrimp cocktails, and it got to be too much, so we asked him to only bring the shrimp at 5:30--so he'd bring extra! (We had asked for shrimp cocktail after the first day, as we weren't thrilled with whatever the regular appetizer was.) We had one of the free cappuchinos once--but he had to go get it from somewhere, so it wasn't terribly hot when it arrived. And as someone else mentioned, we didn't drink our champagne for several days, but he kept it iced up for us. We had it for breakfast one day, and had asked him to bring a pitcher of orange juice so we could make Mimosa's.

The only thing about the Sky Suites on the resort deck (not the aft or corner ones) is the large overhang. You really can't get sun on your balcony unless it's early or late, depending on which side of the ship you are on. But we had reclining chairs, ottomans, and a large teak table, very nice place to watch the sea go by!

We are scheduled in a C1 Concierge cabin on Equinox next December. I believe we will have many of the same perks, except for the butler (and a smaller room!). And don't forget, if you are on Solstice in a suite, you get two complimentary specialty restaurants as a perk! And the priority check-in, at least at Ft. Lauderdale, was a separate line for suite guests, with a separate security check, and then upstairs. After checking in, the next desk was the specialty restaurant desk, so we signed up for our dinners right away!

Enjoy your cruise--we can hardly wait for our next one! If I can answer any other questions, fire away!

We'll be on the Equinox 4/9/2010. I was just reading a thread about the size of the balconies off the hump and as luck would have it, I chose the right location to have side by side cabins. I had initially booked a CS on the Penthouse deck but then my parents wanted to come so I had my TA switch us to those rooms down a deck so we can have a CS and a CC next to each other. Thanks to all the gods that those 2 cabins were available. More reason to parteh...:p

Archived