3/4 through May 4, 2009 Alert for I-45 Between Galveston and Houston (MERGED THREADS)

Galveston Cruiser

So now, two days before take off, can anyone update me on this?Did 45 actually open and should we just hop on and forget the detours? Or have they started work on another section of the road?

I-45 is open... sort of.

Those southbound or northbound on I-45 have to travel the Frontage Road (Feeder) for a small detour around the I-45/NASA Rd 1 intersection.

Construction is ongoing for the whole intersection. Over as well as under the freeway is closed to traffic.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Coming from the airport on Saturday midafternoon do you think it would be awful enough to take one of the recommended detours (for someone who has never been in the area) or is the pain limited to just this area? I don't mind getting stuck in a bit of construction but people were talking earlier about the trip taking twice as long and traveling long distances at 2 miles an hour:mad: What would you recommend?

Coming from the airport on Saturday midafternoon do you think it would be awful enough to take one of the recommended detours (for someone who has never been in the area) or is the pain limited to just this area? I don't mind getting stuck in a bit of construction but people were talking earlier about the trip taking twice as long and traveling long distances at 2 miles an hour:mad: What would you recommend?

The earlier reports concerned a long stretch of the Gulf Freeway being closed for the overpass demolition. At that time, even the Frontage Road was closed. Not so now.

It was about lunchtime & we were going to and from Pappas Seafood for lunch with a side-trip to Bed Bath & Beyond. The little detour was painless, but could be confusing to someone not familiar with the area. However, most of the traffic was continuing on the Gulf Freeway as we were. Then of course, lunchtime midweek vs. mid-afternoon Saturday could be quite different too.

Wishing you 080402gudl_prv.gif with your travel and please do not let this "one bump in the road" spoil your cruise!

Kat 070106YA44_prv.gif

Then of course' date=' lunchtime midweek vs. mid-afternoon Saturday could be quite different too.

Wishing you 080402gudl_prv.gif with your travel and please do not let this "one bump in the road" spoil your cruise!

Kat

Thanks for the info and no- won't let a bit of a traffic jam dampen the fun! Just the smell of sea air, even if mixed with car fumes, will be enough to keep us in good spirits! I think I may just risk it and if it gets too awful we'll get off the road and wander down. :eek:

:DIs there still road construction that will hamper our travel on I45 thru Houston to Galveston for our cruise departure?? We will be sailing on March 29th. Staying in the Woodlands on Sat. nite and driving to the terminal on Sunday morning. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks:)

:DIs there still road construction that will hamper our travel on I45 thru Houston to Galveston for our cruise departure?? We will be sailing on March 29th. Staying in the Woodlands on Sat. nite and driving to the terminal on Sunday morning. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks:)

As mentioned in this thread previously, click here http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/construction/construction_report.aspx

Texas Department of Transportation Houston District Real-Time Construction Schedule

Report generated on Thursday, March 19, 2009

Look at the list for IH-45 NORTH in Montgomery County, IH-45 North, IH-45 GULF and IH-45 GULF in Galveston County. You might want to check the site again closer to your departure for an update.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

As mentioned in this thread previously' date=' click here http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/construction/construction_report.aspx

Texas Department of Transportation Houston District Real-Time Construction Schedule

Report generated on Thursday, March 19, 2009

Look at the list for IH-45 NORTH in Montgomery County, IH-45 North, IH-45 GULF and IH-45 GULF in Galveston County. You might want to check the site again closer to your departure for an update.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

Best to check the day before you go since weather and other factors can cause the work to be delayed. In some cases, closings scheduled to last Friday evening to Monday morning end up done by the waking hours of Sunday so you may find at the last minute that your road is opend early.

Best of luck making a smooth drive without the delay from road construction.

Area near NASA Bypass to be closed this weekend

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=40dcdb755bbe94be

Hopefully, for you and other cruisers, the southbound lane closure will open earlier than noon Sunday as mentioned in the article.

Kat 020105_emYA13_prv.gif

We'll be coming on 290 to the Houston area and then in to Galveston at the end of April..on a Sunday. I have a Garmin but construction etc could screw that up in a place like Houston.

If you were coming in from Austin how would you proceed to Galveston?

And thank-you.:confused:

We'll be coming on 290 to the Houston area and then in to Galveston at the end of April..on a Sunday. I have a Garmin but construction etc could screw that up in a place like Houston.

If you were coming in from Austin how would you proceed to Galveston?

And thank-you.:confused:

From 290 I'd take Beltway 8 South around the West side of the city...if the construction is showing on the web site as under way and causing delays on your travel day (really worth checking morning you are going) then take 288 South to 6 over to 45 South. If no construction delays, or only minimal delays continue on BW8 over to 45 South.

Watch your speed in Galveston County on 45, DPS is looking for you...well for speeders.

From 290 I'd take Beltway 8 South around the West side of the city...if the construction is showing on the web site as under way and causing delays on your travel day (really worth checking morning you are going) then take 288 South to 6 over to 45 South. If no construction delays, or only minimal delays continue on BW8 over to 45 South.

Watch your speed in Galveston County on 45, DPS is looking for you...well for speeders.

Thanks buddy.

Archived