3/4 through May 4, 2009 Alert for I-45 Between Galveston and Houston (MERGED THREADS)

Galveston Cruiser

For those of you who know, would it make sense to go ever to Laport and then head south given the problems on I45? It is only about 3 miles further, but I don't know the area at all. It looks good on Yahoo, but some real knowledge would be very helpful. We will be traveling down on Saturday mid afternoon in two weeks (YEA! ONLY ANOTHER TWO WEEKS!)

I personally would not choose that route. The roads are too small for expedient travel and there would be lots of turns -- many opportunities to get lost if you're not familiar with the area.

I would take 59 South from the airport down to 288 South. From that point, Take Highway 6 South and it will meet up with 45 South just north of the Causeway.

I haven't read the details on the construction. How much of 45 will be affected?

I can't really figure it out from the construction map I have. But people keep talking about how awful the trip is. I guess the one thing about the Laport route that appealed was that it was long the water- and being in Denver makes the water route look might fine. But this is why I asked- it is only 3 more miles according to Yahoo, but I think I'll copy out your instructions and follow them. Galveston, after all, is surrounded by water and the sooner we get there the sooner we can stop worrying about spending hours stuck in traffic! Thanks for the routing.

Ugh, I just did this trip..lol..I took the Carnival transportation and there was LOTS of traffic in addition to the work!! I know it took at least an hour

Woe woowoo! Is that an hour trying tot get through the mess? I'd rather take the small and windy roads (as in roads that wind- did I know that wind and wind were the same? hmmm) and see something of small town Texas than sit on an interstate stuck in traffic.

The construction project at I-45 and Nasa rd. 1 is an on-going project. The total closure this weekend is due to overpass construction. We drove to Galveston last weekend. I-45 constricts to two lanes and does cause a slowdown but nothing that would warrant a detour.

5waldos, you can follow the construction and traffic patterns at this site. http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/layers.aspx?lc=True I don't see anything about a total closure two weeks or three weeks from now. As long as this remains so you do not need to plan an alternate route.

If you want a breakfast recommendation for the Sunday morning before your sailing on the 22'nd, try Mosquito Cafe. They just opened back up a few weeks ago after sustaining massive damage from hurricane Ike. We ate there last Sunday and the food is fantastic! They are less than a half mile from the pier. After all the island has been through, businesses like this need support and you will be rewarded with a terrific meal. :)

http://www.mosquitocafe.com/

Woe woowoo! Is that an hour trying tot get through the mess? I'd rather take the small and windy roads (as in roads that wind- did I know that wind and wind were the same? hmmm) and see something of small town Texas than sit on an interstate stuck in traffic.

No that was the major roads...the highways were bumper to bumper at times and I left on Monday and came back on Saturday, with Saturday being the worst day. At one point we had to get off the highway and bypass part of it as part of it was missing! So through the stop lights that let 2-3 cars through at a time..it took almost an hour longer to return to the airport than it did when we went to the port and I was in a private car with someone who lived there.

First it's going to take you an hour or more from IAH to Galveston under best conditions. I used to live in Humble near IAH and it always took over an hour to get to Galveston, construction or no.

Here's a link tot he lastest closures.

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/construction/construction_report.aspx

Looks like your biggest problem will be around the Johnson Space Center/Clear Lake area. To avoid that leave earlier. You can use the Pasdena/LaPorte Freeway to 146 then get back on I-45 via the Emmett Lowery Expressway at Texas City/Lamarque.

To avoid that leave earlier. You can use the Pasdena/LaPorte Freeway to 146 then get back on I-45 via the Emmett Lowery Expressway at Texas City/Lamarque.

Would love to but the plane doesn't touch down until 1:30. We're leaving as early as we can!:)

Don't you HAVE to be on the ship by 3:00 p.m. ?? How can you make it from the airport if your plane doesn't land until 1:30?

We come in on Saturday. The ship leaves Sunday. Even bad traffic shouldn't hold us up THAT long;)

5waldo......thanks for clearing that up! I know some people cut it close......but that was WAY to close. LOL.

I wouldn't be able to breath with that timing! I've already plotted an escape in case we see a storm coming this way- told my kids employer that I would be kidnapping him a day early if snow was forecast!

I totally agree with Ship Addict. I live in Pearland, which is off of 288 South and we NEVER take 45. We take Highway 6 until it intersects with I-45 South and it is so close to the exit for the cruise terminal that you will kiss yourself for making this decision.

And this weekend I-45 was totally closed off at Bay Area Blvd. because they are demolishing the overpass bridge there. Can you say MEGA headache??!!:mad:

If you want to save yourself a migraine and have a wonderful, stress free beginning to your cruise -- take Highway 6 without a second thought.

Enjoy your cruise too -- we leave 1 day before you on the Ecstasy!:D

I personally would not choose that route. The roads are too small for expedient travel and there would be lots of turns -- many opportunities to get lost if you're not familiar with the area.

I would take 59 South from the airport down to 288 South. From that point, Take Highway 6 South and it will meet up with 45 South just north of the Causeway.

I haven't read the details on the construction. How much of 45 will be affected?

Ship Addit and Tarartist (?): For folks coming from Dallas or even IAH and swinging over to I-45 directly, can you give them directions to 288 off I-45. I seem to recall that there were a couple of jigs and jags around the 610. Has traffic changed through downtown Houston on Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Used to be relatively light if you avoided the 610. Also maybe for folks coming out of Hobby (flying on Southwest) what's the best way these days for them to get to 288/6?

But I would agree that 59 to 288 to 6 seems to be a good way to go. We just never went that way when we went to Galveston, because we'd often go to Kemah too. Question is will this get crowded from overflow from I-45 construction as time goes on?

Ship Addit and Tarartist (?): For folks coming from Dallas or even IAH and swinging over to I-45 directly, can you give them directions to 288 off I-45. I seem to recall that there were a couple of jigs and jags around the 610. Has traffic changed through downtown Houston on Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Used to be relatively light if you avoided the 610. Also maybe for folks coming out of Hobby (flying on Southwest) what's the best way these days for them to get to 288/6?

But I would agree that 59 to 288 to 6 seems to be a good way to go. We just never went that way when we went to Galveston, because we'd often go to Kemah too. Question is will this get crowded from overflow from I-45 construction as time goes on?

If you are coming south down I45 thru downtown Houston, it will intersect with 59 South. You do have to pay attention cos it is a real cluster in that area. It looks like it is probably just a mile or so after this intersection that 59 S will hit 288.

Traffic thru downtown is usually not so bad on the weekends as long as there isn't something big going on, like International Fest or something like that.

does anyone know a place to get current info regarding the construction in I45 between houston and galveston?

we will be traveling on thursday march 12. should be take an alternate route?

and without a doubt - take an alternative route. They have the entire freeway closed in both directions right at Nasa Road 1. Try Houston Transtar or click2houston.com

both should give you accurate information and updated information. Good Luck becuase if you get caught up in this - it's a nightmare!!!!!!!!! Chick.

i looked at txdot on the internet but could not locate anything that would give me info on travel from houston to galveston on march 12

Texas Department of Transportation Houston District Real-Time Construction Schedule

Report generated on Monday, March 09, 2009

Click here http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/construction/construction_report.aspx

Look at the list for IH-45 GULF and IH-45 GULF in Galveston County.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

and without a doubt - take an alternative route. They have the entire freeway closed in both directions right at Nasa Road 1. Try Houston Transtar or click2houston.com

both should give you accurate information and updated information. Good Luck becuase if you get caught up in this - it's a nightmare!!!!!!!!! Chick.

The closure was due to end this morning at 5:00 am. The work finished early and I-45 opened some hours earlier. You should check the houston transtar site for the latest information. No need to panic others with incorrect information. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived