3/4 through May 4, 2009 Alert for I-45 Between Galveston and Houston (MERGED THREADS)

Galveston Cruiser

:eek:Off another fishing harley board

State Hwy. 146 South from Kemah to I-45 is under major construction, they have several sections of the road ate away and awaiting new asphalt. Do not go that way if you plan on cruising south to Galveston this weekend.

Call telephone Tx Dot........... FOR UPDATES

TxDOT: 713-802-5074 - #3

According to # there will be some construction on HW 45 houston to galveston during the day

To be safe

I would come into north of Houston,

and thru downtown straight and wind up on 288 on south.

HY 45 HW 59 and HW288 in town all merge onto one HW

and split again just past downtown.

then straight south on HW 288

continue south to HW 6 ,

turn left to east to 45 right down to Galveston,

Saturday take 45 to right to 146 left up to Nasa RD One and turn left to west go by lake and Nasa will be up on right.

Ok, I found a way to go....but am I going to be able to travel I-45 from La Marque to the cruise terminal??? ,the lady at the hotel could not tell me. I don't know where the exact closure is. I found a route on Mapquest:

I-10 East, Tollway, Exit Tx-3 Old Galveston Rd, right on Conklin ln, South 3, turn right on Cedar Rd. Total miles 232.84, 3hrs and 59 min - only slightly more than usual skipping I-45.

:eek:Off another fishing harley board

State Hwy. 146 South from Kemah to I-45 is under major construction, they have several sections of the road ate away and awaiting new asphalt. Do not go that way if you plan on cruising south to Galveston this weekend.

Call telephone Tx Dot........... FOR UPDATES

Ok Galvestoncruiser, I see you said to avoid 3 South.....what about the route below??? And also please see question above about La Marque - Galveston......

?s=rs&t=RS00001CO&n=10&d=EAST&v=

9:

Merge onto I-10 E via the ramp on the LEFT.154.9 mi

10:

Take EXIT 743 toward TX-99/GRAND PARKWAY NORTH/GRAND PARKWAY SOUTH.0.2 mirs_straight.gif

11:

Stay STRAIGHT to go onto I-10/KATY FWY.0.9 mi?s=rs&t=RS00003BW&n=99&d=SOUTH&v=

12:

Turn RIGHT onto TX-99 S/GRAND PKWY/PEEK RD. Continue to follow TX-99 S.15.4 mi?s=rs&t=RS00002BW&n=90&d=EAST&v=

13:

Turn LEFT onto US-90 ALT E.2.3 mi?s=rs&t=RS00003BW&n=6&d=SOUTH&v=

14:

Merge onto TX-6 S.36.7 mirs_left.gif

15:

Turn LEFT onto FM 1764.5.5 mi

16:

Turn RIGHT onto GULF FWY/I-45 S.1.1 mi

17:

Take the DELANY RD ramp toward CENTURY BLVD.0.2 mi

18:

Turn RIGHT onto DELANEY RD.0.2 mi

Ok, I found new route above TX-99 to US-90 to TX-6....is that better??

Thanks, HostMach confirmed as well. I am breathing a little easier now :)

Really? The T was my husband, he isn't around anymore but all my usernames were already in place so I just kept it! haha

Keep in mind that if I-45 is closed then everybody will be cutting over to TX-3.

La Marque to Galveston should be smooth sailing, however.

Hey...you have my initials....tkporter.

YES NO PROBLEM

The I-10 to Beltway 8 to 288 to 6 has more true high speed highways.......

than I 10 to 99 to 59 to 6. 6 has small towns but route does have good speed limits also. Its works too! Go for it.

Ya'll have wonderful cruise!

Ok, I found a way to go....but am I going to be able to travel I-45 from La Marque to the cruise terminal??? ,the lady at the hotel could not tell me. I don't know where the exact closure is. I found a route on Mapquest:

I-10 East, Tollway, Exit Tx-3 Old Galveston Rd, right on Conklin ln, South 3, turn right on Cedar Rd. Total miles 232.84, 3hrs and 59 min - only slightly more than usual skipping I-45.

We are flying into IAH on sat the 7th for our trip on March 8th on voyager. We are finding it hard to secure transportation to the port of Galveston. We have always shyed away from transfers...but is this our best option???

2 of our friends sailing with us have the same issue. He looked at http://galvestonlimousineservice.com/iah.html and supershuttle and found galveston linousine to be the less costly at $100pp. I guess if you have more people to share the cost, supershuttle would be better.

Hi ya'll!

We will be driving down to Houston Sat. March 7th and staying downtown at the Hyatt. Galveston was out of our price range and we are not going to arrive until 11pm or so anyway.

In the morning, would it be best to take 288 to loop 6? from Downtown? Does 288 run from downtown? I am such a nervous driver.

Also what time should we leave the hotel in the morning?

TIA

Monica

I will let someone else from the Galveston/Houston area answer the first part of your question....

Just want to remind you to remember the time change - clocks more forward!!

PS- have you been to our roll call thread?? Or are you going on Voyager???

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=884911

Hi ya'll!

We will be driving down to Houston Sat. March 7th and staying downtown at the Hyatt. Galveston was out of our price range and we are not going to arrive until 11pm or so anyway.

In the morning, would it be best to take 288 to loop 6? from Downtown? Does 288 run from downtown? I am such a nervous driver.

TIA

Monica

If you want to avoid all the traffic mess on I-45, head to Galveston in the early AM. You would miss all the Saturday/Sunday traffic and the traffic jams.

Between 6:00am and 8:00am should not be too much of a problem. After that, there are no guarantees!

YES

288 runs north/south and is downtown

on eastside by convention center..

and minute maid park (baseball stadium)

and toyota center(basketball arena)

59 45 & 288 are one at this streach of HW.

288 continues due south. 45 southeast and 59 southwest

Easy route.

go on 288 south, turn left on 6 to east......

and straight to 45 down by Galveston,

right on 45 into Gal.

Have a nice trip !!!!!!!!!!!:D

QUOTE=Liltx31;18368622]Hi ya'll!

In the morning, would it be best to C? from Downtown? Does 288 run from downtown? I am such a nervous driver.

TIA

Monica

I 45 will be closed this weekend

between Bay Area Blvd and 528(League City turn off)

Nasa Rd is in between.

To tear down old cross over.

9 PM Friday Night to Monday Morning 5AM

I-45 at NASA Parkway shut this weekend

Click here http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=0c942b8629804bdd for more info.

082502btw_prv.gif, I changed the title of this thread to reflect the updated amount of time this will be a big headache for us all!

Kat 020105_emYA13_prv.gif

I know that this info has been posted several times on the RCCL board, but has anyone posted this info on the Carnival board to alert those sailing on the Conquest and Ecstasy this weekend? Not everyone knows to look on this board for info.

I know that this info has been posted several times on the RCCL board, but has anyone posted this info on the Carnival board to alert those sailing on the Conquest and Ecstasy this weekend? Not everyone knows to look on this board for info.

If not already there, please feel free to direct the Carnival folks to this thread with a link. Or, just feel free to re-post the information there.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

It will be interesting trying out a new route :)

We are staying in La Marque Saturday night before our cruise....hoping the Acapulco restaurant is still open, we love eating there!!

I-45 at NASA Parkway shut this weekend

Click here http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=0c942b8629804bdd for more info.

082502btw_prv.gif' date=' I changed the title of this thread to reflect the updated amount of time this will be a big headache for us all!

Kat 020105_emYA13_prv.gif

Greg, the freeway will be re-opened early in the morning. If you're flying out of Hobby Friday morning, straight up I45 is your best bet. Allow extra time for rush hour, if you'll be driving between 6:30AM and 9:00AM. The good news is, during rush hour they try to have all the lanes open. You still could be stuck in normal Houston rush hour traffic though, depending on your flight time. Anywhere in Houston on a Friday morning there is going to be traffic. No way to avoid it.

From A&M Galveston, turn left out of the campus. After you cross the bridge, turn right onto Harborside. Take a right onto I45 North. Exit Airport Blvd and turn left onto Airport. Hobby will be a few miles down on your left.

Are you a student at TAMUG?

Greg, the freeway will be re-opened early in the morning. If you're flying out of Hobby Friday morning, straight up I45 is your best bet. Allow extra time for rush hour, if you'll be driving between 6:30AM and 9:00AM. The good news is, during rush hour they try to have all the lanes open. You still could be stuck in normal Houston rush hour traffic though, depending on your flight time. Anywhere in Houston on a Friday morning there is going to be traffic. No way to avoid it.

From A&M Galveston, turn left out of the campus. After you cross the bridge, turn right onto Harborside. Take a right onto I45 North. Exit Airport Blvd and turn left onto Airport. Hobby will be a few miles down on your left.

Are you a student at TAMUG?

Wendy,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am a student there. Flying out for spring break to CA. Im just worried that the traffic due to the construction will be really bad, but i guess this was the only real bad weekend.

Archived