Entertainment on NCL

cruiser92837465

I think you may mean Fred Klett. Very funny. Have seen him only once (NCL Sea) several years ago.

Parrot Pop will tell you I very rarely laugh outloud.. usually a wide smile.. but with Fred I was bent over hysterically laughing.. from the top balcony no less..He hit spots and truisms like checking your husband over before he leaves the house.. the story about the brothers jumping off the roof. and he best one of his brothers helping themselves to the donation plate and the father pointing to "Put it Back".. That bit has been used by Parrot Pop when I look at a very piece of expensive jewelry and we both laugh knowingly.. We met him at supper time and he said the next time.. to sit in the front row as the people there were dozing..he was a bit upset, but told him how much we really, really enjoyed his sense of humor and stories. NCL Sea....that brings back memories.. That was our very, very first cruise more than 20 years ago when cruising was elegant.. Then we did it when it was the Seaward just before it retired..Just love those old ships..

Here is a big secret!!! There is a brand new show coming onto the NCL Jade direct from Branson... We have found some great entertainers on NCL, particularly Jane L. Powell.does anybody know where she is going to be cruising/singing.. Our one experience on RC was a nightmare.. the dancers were dressed in fright wiges and the costumes looked like leftover upholstery material. Have seen some great shows on Celebrity..entertainers brought in at special ports... The Celebrity Constellation had a comic on our last cruise, Fred Klefft or something like that who had me bent over with tears coming out of my eyes...a story teller..a woman who plays for all the great movies..and two L.V. type acts.. Parrot Pop and I are very particular about entertainers on ships..and are theatre goers.. so call me a snob and that's okay.. I'll let you know after we do the Pricness in a few weeks and the NCL Gem the end of November

Is this the same Jane that was on the Sun in 2008? She was the staff member from Australia who hosted Bingo, Belly Dancing and the Movie & Music Trivia. If so, she was fantastic!

I don't recognize the name, but the last time we sailed on Majesty, it was Royal Majesty and not yet a member of the NCL family. I do remember a very different and creative repertory group which did some a few one act plays in the Fireworks Lounge. It was something that I still wish cruise ships would include in their entertainment repertoire.:)

You intrique me with this post. Are there any cruise lines doing plays? That would be of great interest to me!

We were just on the Jewel and found the entertainment to be about the same as RC and Carnival. Don't expect a Broadway production!! I thought that the shows were pretty good though..Cirque Bijou was definitely the most technical performance I have seen at sea. I found the acrobatics and gymnastics somewhat amateur, but it was still entertaining. I don't know the girl's name, but she did all of the ballet/Pointe routines and she was amazing!! The only show we saw that was hard to watch was Band on the Run. It was basically a collection of 70's music and dancing, but it got pretty provocative. I expected to see some of those moves and dance routines in a gentleman's club. I can say my husband enjoyed it! lol

The only show we saw that was hard to watch was Band on the Run. It was basically a collection of 70's music and dancing, but it got pretty provocative. I expected to see some of those moves and dance routines in a gentleman's club. I can say my husband enjoyed it! lol

Just proves how different people's opinions are. Our entire group, from my 85 year old dad, to my 80 year old MIL, to myself, to my 45 to 60 year old brothers, to my 20 to 30 year old DD's LOVED Band on the Run. We couldn't sit still and were dancing in the isles with the cast. It was by far our favorite show.

CG

Is this the same Jane that was on the Sun in 2008? She was the staff member from Australia who hosted Bingo, Belly Dancing and the Movie & Music Trivia. If so, she was fantastic!

Jane who is known as the "chocolate godess" is not that woman..lol. Jane is a fantastic singer who sings everything from Gospel to Love songs to Jazz.. with her family group backing her up..

The Gem is the only ship with Gary Musick. The Majesty, Spirit , POA & Jade are NCL Productions and the rest of the fleet are Jean Ann Ryan Productions.

Nope, I know several dancers on the Majesty and Spirit. Gary Musick has the production companies on the Spirit, Majesty, Gem and Jade. Along with the Celebrity Constellation, Summit amf Infinity. NCL, itself, no longer has any production companies. The last NCL Production was the cast on the Majesty that left in May of '07. The "rights" to the production shows that NCL originaly did were bought by Gary Musick. That company is based in Nashville and does a lot of corporate productions all over the world.

I think you may mean Fred Klett. Very funny. Have seen him only once (NCL Sea) several years ago.

The shows Fred Klett put on when we were on the Majesty in June' date=' 2005, may have been the funniest stand up comedy performances I've ever seen, in person or on TV. To quote his website, "[i']Fred's show is clean. REALLY. Count all the truly funny, CLEAN comedians you know. Use all your fingers and toes. Did you get past the first hand? Didn't think so[/i]!"

Unfortunately his posted schedule does not include any NCL ships, according to his website:

http://www.fredklett.com/dates.html

Are there any cruise lines doing plays? That would be of great interest to me!

NCL used to do book shows produced by Jean Ann Ryan but stopped back in 2001 I believe. Don't know if any cruise lines do them.

The "rights" to the production shows that NCL originaly did were bought by Gary Musick. That company is based in Nashville and does a lot of corporate productions all over the world.

Possibly that has changed then. I'm only going by info DS e-mailed me this morning after I asked him about the production companies. Maybe that changed with all of the restructuring this past year.

The shows Fred Klett put on when we were on the Majesty in June, 2005, may have been the funniest stand up comedy performances I've ever seen, in person or on TV. To quote his website, "Fred's show is clean. REALLY. Count all the truly funny, CLEAN comedians you know. Use all your fingers and toes. Did you get past the first hand? Didn't think so!"

Unfortunately his posted schedule does not include any NCL ships, according to his website:

http://www.fredklett.com/dates.html

We did see him on the Celebrity Constellation in September..and I see he isn't scheduled for any of the ships we are on this year.. If you remember that bit about the kids taking from the "plate" in church.. it is a favorite thing that my husband does now to me..lol

Just proves how different people's opinions are. Our entire group, from my 85 year old dad, to my 80 year old MIL, to myself, to my 45 to 60 year old brothers, to my 20 to 30 year old DD's LOVED Band on the Run. We couldn't sit still and were dancing in the isles with the cast. It was by far our favorite show.

CG

Wow! My husband and I are in our 20's (I'm 24 & he's 26) and we thought the dancing was kind of raunchy..for that kind of show at least. The acts where the girls were supposed to be prostitutes was a little skanky for my taste. I understand that's what the lyrics are about so it made sense, but there had to be hundreds of other songs from the 70's they could have chose. Some of it was good though. It was definitely entertaining (and free..kinda)!

It could also be a matter of different casts performing.

Wow! My husband and I are in our 20's (I'm 24 & he's 26) and we thought the dancing was kind of raunchy..for that kind of show at least. The acts where the girls were supposed to be prostitutes was a little skanky for my taste. I understand that's what the lyrics are about so it made sense, but there had to be hundreds of other songs from the 70's they could have chose. Some of it was good though. It was definitely entertaining (and free..kinda)!

It could also be a matter of different casts performing.

NCL advertises itself as a "family cruise company" and they do have certain standards in entertainment, jokes and songs that are allowed. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. The name escapes me, but we saw a musical on Broadway that had three big dancing scenes..Even at my age and I'm now over 70 I was taken aback and I accept most things.. it was a woman swinging on an old fashioned swing in a garden man catching and flirting with her..It reeked sex...lol..WOW.. Although I remember the other dancing scenes.. one in a restaurant, the other in an apartment..the old fashioned one in the garden was something else again...

CG

I agree. I think Band on the Run is a very good show.

NCL advertises itself as a "family cruise company" and they do have certain standards in entertainment, jokes and songs that are allowed. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. The name escapes me, but we saw a musical on Broadway that had three big dancing scenes..Even at my age and I'm now over 70 I was taken aback and I accept most things.. it was a woman swinging on an old fashioned swing in a garden man catching and flirting with her..It reeked sex...lol..WOW.. Although I remember the other dancing scenes.. one in a restaurant, the other in an apartment..the old fashioned one in the garden was something else again...

That show was called "Contact", one of my favorites. I saw the original cast at Lincoln Center when it first opened and received the Tony. GORGEOUS show, beautiful dancing. Are you saying NCL DID Contact on board? Wow! If so, I guess the answer to my original query may be 'yes'? I can't imagine ANY cruise line paying the royalties for that show.

The Jean Ann Ryan dance crew on the Dawn was the best!! Their shows were fantastic, to say the least. My husband drooled over the women and I drooled over the men! I wish they had a show every night, instead of 3. They were the best entertainment on the ship.

Archived