PLEASE HELP...Diamond Princess or Carnival Spirit

JoeLisaAlli

Hi,

We are booked on two cruises to Alaska...the Diamond Princess and the Carnival Spirit. We originally booked on the Diamond Princess ($3,757.63 - Mini-Suite - E725); however, we found a great deal on the Carnival Spirit ($2,175.35 - Extended Balcony - AFT 4239). The cost difference is $1,582.28. We would also have to pay a $300 penalty to change our flights since the departure/return days are different. I don't want the price to be the only driver in our decision though.

ANY information/feedback you can share that might help us make our decision would be GREATLY appreciated. I have read through so many posts that I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Also, we decided last night that we are not going to do any pre/post cruise land tours this time...other than spending an extra night or two in Seattle.

Just a little background information...

We are a family of three (me, my DH and DD - 10 years old). We have sailed on 7 previous cruises...Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norweigian, Disney, Carnival...all Caribbean.

Thanks,

Lisa

i have been to alaska twice on the spirit and love her. but if you are used too more dinning rooms to choose from, more extra activities on the ship and a want a larger ship she might not be for you. personally, i dont spend money on the pay restuarnts so only having the two on the spirit were great for me. the food was excellant at the buffett also and the service was exceptional. add that in with the cost difference and you cant beat the spirit. they have a wonderful kids program also. dont be afraid to sail on the spirit but dont expect it too have as many venues as say princess or ncl. it is too bad this cruise is not going to glacier bay though. if you want to see glaciers roundtrip my vote is too get into glacier bay. but others love to go to tracy arm and sawer. i hope i have helped you a little and others here will give you good advice and you will have a better idea what you want to do. have a wonderful time . :)

Frankly I have never sailed on Carnival but it is one of those lines that I probably never will. I have sailed on the Diamond and if your like Princess which DW and I do, you likely won't do better...she is a great ship.:)

The Diamond; she's one of my favorite Princess ships.

The whole experience, for us, onboard RCCL or Princess would have to be Princess.

Better EVERYTHING, IMHO!

Whatever your choice, have a wonderful time with your family!

Sorry, I just realized it's between Carnival or Princess....again, hands down, this time......The choice goes to Princess, again!

Carnival's atmosphere, with all the PA system announcements are just too much for us......Your kids might like the kids club better on Carnival, my children did. But, all things being equal, Princess carries off the "cruise experience" much better!!!!! :)

Sorry, I just realized it's between Carnival or Princess....again, hands down, this time......The choice goes to Princess, again!

Carnival's atmosphere, with all the PA system announcements are just too much for us......Your kids might like the kids club better on Carnival, my children did. But, all things being equal, Princess carries off the "cruise experience" much better!!!!! :)

Did you happen to have this sailing experience in Alaska of both lines??

In the past, Carnival in Alaska did a fantastic job and their Sitka port is an excellent itinerary. Their round trip Glacier Bay sailings are also superb. There is no comparism to Carnival sailing elsewhere.

I've sailed both lines to Alaska, Carnival 3, Princess 6. Both certainly have pluses to offer, in my opinion.

Just as you said Princess and Carnival offer a different package.

It really didn't matter what the itinerary was Carnival is a more "voices in your head" kind of experience. I truly like the more subdued experience without being "louspeakered" (is that a word) to death.

Also, I believe that Princess is the only ship that has the Alaska Salmon Bake. I could be wrong.....I haven't done every single line that sails Alaska!

We haven't cruised as yet, but based on my research, Carnival Spirit is a little more restrained and tastefully decorated than most Carnival ships. One of its pools is covered also. We have a Cat 9A (larger oceanview cabin, larger balcony), and paid around $2100.00 total for 2 pax.

Of course, I'd LOVE to go Holland America or something, but I'm very excited about sailing aboard Carnival Spirit!

-Glenn-

There is no reason to dismiss Carnival in my opinion. They do an excellent job in Alaska and have a top ship naturalist, who really can enhance your trip even more, if of interest. (hopefully Michelle is again with them this year :) ) 

I do suggest you may want to consider taking advantage of going on a Prince William Sound boat tour, a top must do choice, always for me. :) 

Sitka is a fantastic port, again, a boat tour is my top recommendation here and your only inside passage accessable area, if you want to see puffins. 

I have taken 5 different cruiselines in Alaska, including your two listed. My first choice would be Carnival. :) 

Your significant savings could go a long way toward your extra port touring. :) 

Ms. Budget Queen - As I am new to posting here but have read the posts here for sometime and am doing my research before I book an Aug 2010 trip. I was wondering if your opinion is still the same regarding Carnival based on their new itinerary for 2010.

There is no reason to dismiss Carnival in my opinion. They do an excellent job in Alaska and have a top ship naturalist, who really can enhance your trip even more, if of interest. (hopefully Michelle is again with them this year :) ) 

I do suggest you may want to consider taking advantage of going on a Prince William Sound boat tour, a top must do choice, always for me. :) 

Sitka is a fantastic port, again, a boat tour is my top recommendation here and your only inside passage accessable area, if you want to see puffins. 

I have taken 5 different cruiselines in Alaska, including your two listed. My first choice would be Carnival. :) 

Your significant savings could go a long way toward your extra port touring. :) 

Ms. Budget Queen - As I am new to posting here but have read the posts here for sometime and am doing my research before I book an Aug 2010 trip. I was wondering if your opinion is still the same regarding Carnival based on their new itinerary for 2010.

What are the itineraries?? From what I see, they are doing Tracy Arm and no Sitka?? My opinion only, the previous itineraries are much better. I would see where the pricing is??

What are the itineraries?? From what I see, they are doing Tracy Arm and no Sitka?? My opinion only, the previous itineraries are much better. I would see where the pricing is??

Carnival is doing roundtrips out of Seattle in 2010. Apparently the first cruise in May and the last cruise in September will go to Glacier Bay, and the rest will go to Tracy Arm.

We are booked on B2B cruises on the Spirit. We have never cruised Carnival before, but, we truly believe it is the journey and the destination that truly counts, not whether there are loud speakers, etc. We are in our 60's but are just looking forward to the adventure of the cruise.

That being said, one of the things we liked about the Spirit itinerary is that except for Ketchikan, we are the only cruise ship in port for Juneau, Sitka and Skagway. To us, not having 3 or 4 other ships in port besides us is a big plus. JMO:)

Carnival is doing roundtrips out of Seattle in 2010. Apparently the first cruise in May and the last cruise in September will go to Glacier Bay, and the rest will go to Tracy Arm.

Yes, I know this, What is the actual itinerary?

Yes, I know this, What is the actual itinerary?

I can't find it on Carnival's web site, but this is what's on Expedia:

01 Seattle, Washington --- 4:00 PM

02 At sea --- ---

03 At sea --- ---

04 Skagway, Alaska 7:00 AM 9:00 PM

05 Juneau, Alaska 7:00 AM 3:00 PM

06 Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 AM 1:00 PM

07 Victoria, Canada 7:30 PM 11:30 PM

08 Seattle, Washington 7:00 AM ---

Tracy Arm must be on day 3.

**According to another online travel web site, the first cruise on May 5 is a 6-night that begins in Vancouver and ends in Seattle. That cruise doesn't go to Glacier Bay, and though Tracy Arm isn't listed - I suspect the ship goes there the morning it visits Juneau:

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 Vancouver, British Columbia -- 05:30 PM

Thursday, May 6, 2010 Cruise Inside Passage -- --

Friday, May 7, 2010 Juneau, Alaska 02:00 PM 11:00 PM

Saturday, May 8, 2010 Skagway, Alaska 07:00 AM 04:30 PM

Sunday, May 9, 2010 Ketchikan, Alaska 11:00 AM 08:00 PM

Monday, May 10, 2010 Fun Day At Sea -- --

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 Seattle, Washington 07:00 AM

The Sept. 7 cruise does go to Glacier Bay!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 Seattle, Washington -- 04:00 PM

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 Fun Day At Sea -- --

Thursday, September 9, 2010 Juneau, Alaska 02:00 PM 11:00 PM

Friday, September 10, 2010 Glacier Bay, Alaska -- --

Saturday, September 11, 2010 Skagway, Alaska 07:00 AM 04:30 PM

Sunday, September 12, 2010 Ketchikan, Alaska 11:00 AM 07:00 PM

Monday, September 13, 2010 Cruise Inside Passage -- --

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 Vancouver, British Columbia 07:00 AM --

personally, i really like the carnival spirit. i have sailed to glacier bay twice on her and had a great time. i am happy that she will be embarking from seattle but very dissapointed that glacier bay is out when our family cruise has to take place in june next year. and the times in the ports are pretty bad except for skagway, i think , compared to the other lines . but the price is really good compared to the other lines ( in my opinion ) so im sure i will sail her again. there is always a tour to get up close to a glacier.

The Spirit's Seattle roundtrip itineraries are similar to the Star and Golden Princess's itineraries for 2009 - which have been called "lacking." If the Princess ships from Seattle have the same itineraries in 2010 as in 2009 - I'd choose one of them over Carnival.

The Spirit's Seattle roundtrip itineraries are similar to the Star and Golden Princess's itineraries for 2009 - which have been called "lacking." If the Princess ships from Seattle have the same itineraries in 2010 as in 2009 - I'd choose one of them over Carnival.

i checked the princess port times and they are better than carnival ( for me anyway ). seems there are too many sea hours and not enough port times for the spirit. ''' now i have to start my research all over again for next year ''' :confused:.

i checked the princess port times and they are better than carnival ( for me anyway ). seems there are too many sea hours and not enough port times for the spirit. ''' now i have to start my research all over again for next year ''' :confused:.

I want to clarify that I did choose the Golden Princess for 2009 - my 3rd Alaska cruise and first roundtrip. I wasn't going to go to Alaska at all in 2009, but the great price swayed me. :)

I want to clarify that I did choose the Golden Princess for 2009 - my 3rd Alaska cruise and first roundtrip. I wasn't going to go to Alaska at all in 2009, but the great price swayed me. :)

please give us a reveiw when you get back. the golden princess is tempting. i really like being in the ports longer so i have time to take tours or have more time for shopping. it will be a tough call for all of us too decide on one ship. a lot of research and digging into the wallett will be the deciding factor for us. all toll about 10 of us. ya, get 10 family members to agree on something as major as this :D.

You made a wonderful choice, she's the perfect ship. Not too big, not too small.....We, too, we're not going to do more than one cruise and certainly not Alaska in 2009 but the price was so good, we just had to! Just had to!!!!! ;)

Have a fabulous cruise!

please give us a reveiw when you get back. the golden princess is tempting. i really like being in the ports longer so i have time to take tours or have more time for shopping. it will be a tough call for all of us too decide on one ship. a lot of research and digging into the wallett will be the deciding factor for us. all toll about 10 of us. ya, get 10 family members to agree on something as major as this :D.

I posted reviews of my first two Alaska cruises, and I'm sure I'll post one for the Golden, too. I don't envy you - if you are THE coordinator for your group of 10 travelers!

You made a wonderful choice, she's the perfect ship. Not too big, not too small.....We, too, we're not going to do more than one cruise and certainly not Alaska in 2009 but the price was so good, we just had to! Just had to!!!!! ;)

Have a fabulous cruise!

It seems a lot of us just had to book a Princess Alaska cruise for 2009! :) I thought the Coral Princess was a beautiful ship, and from the photos I've seen of the Golden Princess, she looks lovely as well.

I posted reviews of my first two Alaska cruises, and I'm sure I'll post one for the Golden, too. I don't envy you - if you are THE coordinator for your group of 10 travelers!

It seems a lot of us just had to book a Princess Alaska cruise for 2009! :) I thought the Coral Princess was a beautiful ship, and from the photos I've seen of the Golden Princess, she looks lovely as well.

i will read your reveiws. and yes, it is a challenge organizing this cruise. they cant agree on too much yet and im just setting on the back burner and letting them hash it out. i dont know what is going to happen when we have to decide on a hotel in seattle :eek:.

i will read your reveiws. and yes, it is a challenge organizing this cruise. they cant agree on too much yet and im just setting on the back burner and letting them hash it out. i dont know what is going to happen when we have to decide on a hotel in seattle :eek:.

If it were me, after booking the cruise for the group - I'd let them do whatever they wanted as far as booking their airfare, hotels, and excursions. You can tell them what YOU plan to do, but I wouldn't go beyond that. They either agree to have ONE chief whom they trust to make the decisions, or they are all responsible for their own families. In fact - if you like a particular ship and they don't...let them book their own cruise, too!

If it were me, after booking the cruise for the group - I'd let them do whatever they wanted as far as booking their airfare, hotels, and excursions. You can tell them what YOU plan to do, but I wouldn't go beyond that. They either agree to have ONE chief whom they trust to make the decisions, or they are all responsible for their own families. In fact - if you like a particular ship and they don't...let them book their own cruise, too!

:D you are my kind of gal in your thinking. we are a funny bunch but actually we get along great once we all decide on something as big as this. yes, once we get on the ship and in the ports its all for one. but we do like to stay close at the port city and eat and do a tour or two there as a group. we are a ''' hoot ''' but it will all work out. im just letting them know the ship itineries and cost and letting them decide what to do. and since i cruise alone, going on my own would be a great time for me too. :) i am starting to think that the carnival cruise is not the itinerary i want. to many hours at sea for my taste.

Archived