Carnival replied, yes, you will need a passport!?

beach410

I have been trying to convince my brother that he will not need a passport, not only did I call them tonight to verify verbally, I copied the info not only from Carnival Website, and from the WHTI gov page, he emailed Carnival to see if he would need a passport for his cruise, here is his question:

Do I neen a passport for my scheduled cruise, June 14, 2009?

Here is their reply:

Thank you for visiting carnival.com. In regards to your query, a passport will be required. If there is anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Carnival Cruise Lines

Why the conflicting information? I told him to call and not accept this as the final answer.

I have been trying to convince my brother that he will not need a passport, not only did I call them tonight to verify verbally, I copied the info not only from Carnival Website, and from the WHTI gov page, he emailed Carnival to see if he would need a passport for his cruise, here is his question:

Here is their reply:

Thank you for visiting carnival.com. In regards to your query, a passport will be required. If there is anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Carnival Cruise Lines

Why the conflicting information? I told him to call and not accept this as the final answer.

I just called Carnival a little over a week ago about out March Sensation cruise, and was told by them that you did not need them yet, but I didn't ask for how long.

I called Carnival tonight and they said no and here is what I found on Carnival's website:

“U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a passport or other recognized document.”

Here is what I found on the govt website that is again what Carnival has:

How will the final WHTI requirements affect passengers going on cruises?

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a passport or other recognized document.

Cruises that begin and end in different ports or in a foreign port only.

Here's what I found on the travel.state.gov website (passport website):

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

• CURRENTLY:
    All U.S. citizens must show proof of identity and proof of U.S. citizenship when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the countries of the Caribbean by land or sea.

Acceptable documents include: U.S. Passport Book, U.S. Passport Card, or other document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

U.S. citizens who do not have a single document verifying identity and citizenship must present both an identification and citizenship document; for example, a driver’s license and a copy of a birth certificate or naturalization certificate.
  • LATER:
    On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.
    • CHILDREN: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.

Groups of U.S. citizen children ages 16 through 18, when traveling with a school or religious group, social organization, or sports team, will be able to enter under adult supervision with originals or copies of their birth certificates or other proof of citizenship. See the Department of Homeland Security's GetYouHome.gov for more information on the changing travel requirements.

U.S.PASSPORT AND WHTI COMPLIANT DOCUMENTS:

• U.S.Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea between the U.S. and the aforementioned Western Hemisphere countries.
  • The Passport Card: Passport card applications are currently being accepted in anticipation of land border travel document requirements. Based on current projections, we expect the passport card to be in full production beginning in July 2008. We will provide additional updates as available. Once in production, the passport card it will only be valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda.
  • WHTI-Compliant Travel Documents for U.S. citizen travel via land or sea, as of January 31, 2008:
    • Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
    • State Issued Enhanced Driver's License (when available)
    • Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)
    • U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
    • U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business
    • Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
    • Form I-872 American Indian Card

For further information see U.S. Customs and Border Protection's website Ready, Set...Go!

And from that page you go to Homeland security page, under FAQ you will find this:

How will the final WHTI requirements affect passengers going on cruises?

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Folks, don't get too wrapped up in what Carnival tells you...

As demonstrated, they will give you different answers..

They don't make the rules....

Use your noggin....go to the correct source.... The Government of the United States.... :eek:

The poster a couple of posts up has listed the accurate info for you.

Kinda reminds me of a question on Cruise Critic last week about Delta airlines and luggage....

I thought...Duh, call Delta !

As far as the website shows on a closed loop cruise you won't need the passport. Something that you may want to consider is if something happens during the cruise, a family emergency or say illness and you have to leave the ship and fly back to the US you would than need the passport. A passport is a very easy thing to get so when traveling it is probably not a bad idea to have one. Just my thought on the subject.

Carnivals website used to have conflicting info on their website. Under their FAQ it stated you needed a PP and under PP requirements, said you didnt need a PP under the closed loop exception. Now under their FAQ part of their website, it matches the PP requirements section. Here is what they both say

Quote and Links:http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx, http://www.carnival.com/CMS/fun/cruise_control/EMB_travel_document.aspx

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a valid passport or recognized WHTI-compliant document. For a complete list of accepted documents, see http://www.travel.state.gov.

in june if im not mistaken passports become mandatory for all cruises.

You are mistaken, cruises are not now, nor are there any plans to require them for closed loop cruises in the future.

Cruise lines are free to impose any restriction that they want but the Department of Homeland Security will not require them.

No you dont need a passport.

Just taks a note from your mommy stating who you are should be just fine and dandy. Those boogymen at homeland security wont have a problem with your note.

Exactly because a passport is not required for closed loop cruises, and the guys at homeland security will have no problem with the note as long as you have a certified birth certificate and a photo ID.

Here's what I found on the travel.state.gov website (passport website):

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

* CURRENTLY:

All U.S. citizens must show proof of identity and proof of U.S. citizenship when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the countries of the Caribbean by land or sea.

Acceptable documents include: U.S. Passport Book, U.S. Passport Card, or other document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

U.S. citizens who do not have a single document verifying identity and citizenship must present both an identification and citizenship document; for example, a driver’s license and a copy of a birth certificate or naturalization certificate.

* LATER:

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

o CHILDREN: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.

Groups of U.S. citizen children ages 16 through 18, when traveling with a school or religious group, social organization, or sports team, will be able to enter under adult supervision with originals or copies of their birth certificates or other proof of citizenship. See the Department of Homeland Security's GetYouHome.gov for more information on the changing travel requirements.

U.S.PASSPORT AND WHTI COMPLIANT DOCUMENTS:

* U.S.Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea between the U.S. and the aforementioned Western Hemisphere countries.

* The Passport Card: Passport card applications are currently being accepted in anticipation of land border travel document requirements. Based on current projections, we expect the passport card to be in full production beginning in July 2008. We will provide additional updates as available. Once in production, the passport card it will only be valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda.

* WHTI-Compliant Travel Documents for U.S. citizen travel via land or sea, as of January 31, 2008:

o Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)

o State Issued Enhanced Driver's License (when available)

o Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)

o U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders

o U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business

o Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card

o Form I-872 American Indian Card

For further information see U.S. Customs and Border Protection's website Ready, Set...Go!

This is what the State Department provides, but Homeland Security is responsible for entry into the US. Check their site. This is incomplete information and as presented is inaccurate.

I just opted to get my passport. You never know what can happen at port or even on the ship. If you become sick, you can not enter the U.S. by air. You would be stuck in a foreign county with their "medical experts" and still know way to enter the country or in the ship infirmary for the remainder of the cruise.

On my cruise this past May, a man got in a wreck on a ATV, he was pretty bad and was stuck in the ships infirmary with what medical they could provide due to a lack of a passport to fly home.

That $100.00 seems worth it to me.

I just opted to get my passport. You never know what can happen at port or even on the ship. If you become sick, you can not enter the U.S. by air. You would be stuck in a foreign county with their "medical experts" and still know way to enter the country or in the ship infirmary for the remainder of the cruise.

On my cruise this past May, a man got in a wreck on a ATV, he was pretty bad and was stuck in the ships infirmary with what medical they could provide due to a lack of a passport to fly home.

I agree that is why we all got ours. You never no and it is $100 bucks for 10 years.

I was going to post this same wise advice and I'm so glad someone beat me to it. I got my 1st passport in the 90's as I had to travel abroad for work. I have to say, it came in handy on more than one unexpected occassion. Now I realize going on a cruise for a week or two isn't the same as being abroad for weeks / months at a time but the unexpected can happen when you least expected.

A family friend was in a horrible tour bus accident a couple of years ago, the person next to him died. He survived, fortunately, but was unconscious for several days. However he had his US Passport so they knew he was a citizen of the US. They contacted the embassy/consulate and that agency handled everything... from contacting his parents to helping them arrange for emergency travel documents to be with him and then helping them get him a medical flight back home once he was stable.

Its worth the time and money to get a document to carry that is recognized internationally as identification. When my passport expired in 2008 I did the online / mail in renewal form expedited using express mail to send it and paying the extra so they would express mail it back to me.

I mailed it on a Monday, imagine my surprise when by that Friday I had the new passport in my mailbox!! A week later they also sent me my old one back (with holes punched through it of course). So if a person just needs a renewal, expedite it both ways (they explain how to do it on the website) and you will have it back very quickly.

Here is their reply:

Carnival Cruise Lines

I understand that this frustrates you greatly, but even on a closed loop cruise and if Carnival and Government both say no, if you were hurt and had to be flown back you would need the passport as air travel requires it. Always better to be safe than sorry.IMHO.

Archived