Carnival Freedom

pipedreams62

No, I have not been on Carnival Freedom. But, a week from today, I will be. I am anxious to compare Carnival with HAL; I have heard so many opinions. The day I disembark from Freedom, I will embark the Noordam. So, my experiences on Carnival will be fresh in my mind when I am on the Noordam.

I intend to start a thread on my impressions when I return.

I just got off the Freedom yesterday! We are solid HAL customers - 7 sailings - but went with a family group this trip. I wrote a detailed review on the Carnival board today and compared it to Holland, so you should read it as it will answer your questions I think.

In short, Freedom is a nice ship and overall is pretty good, but it is not for the older set IMO. Food quality is definately below Holland's and service is good, but not up to Holland.

Carnival is better at activities and the debarkation process. Captain's reception on Freedom was alot better than Holland's.

If you are a pool person, forget about getting a lounger on Freedom on sea days, although on port days it was not a problem.

Carnival is good, but too crowded for us. Plus, if I were to sail Carnival again I would plan on dining in the specialty rest. several times for dinner.

If you have more specific questions, please ask them.

DaveOKC

Carnival is good, but too crowded for us.

DaveOKC

I was on the Freedom 6 weeks ago, I had a good time, but I think it's too crowded too.:( I won't go again on a big ship. It would be a big change from the Statendam.;)

Mark...

I have printed your review and will take it with me on my Carnival Freedom cruise next week. Many thanks for your efforts!

I appreciate knowing that I should ask my Dining Room Steward for a second Lobster Tail when I place my order for #1. (I suspected as much: photos posted on CC showing the Lobster Tail have usually seemed "small".)

My $2 bill has been prepared for the bartender for the Captain's Reception. Great service is what I like! At what lounge where you when you attended the Reception?

The "cold breakfast" option for Room Service was expected. For me, that is OK. I usually use room service for breakfast on shore trip days when I do not want a lot to eat.

I have made a reservation for the Sun King Supper Club and am anxious to see how it compares with the Pinnacle Grill.

Your Muster Drill experience mirrors what I have had on Queen Mary 2 and Princess vessels. NO ONE DOES A MUSTER DRILL AS WELL AS HOLLAND AMERICA LINE!

Unless Carnival Freedom docks at the pier that leads to Margariettaville at Ocho Rios, I will also not be leaving the ship. The island is so lovely; the hospitality towards their cruise tourists, at least from my experience in the years since 1988, is pitiful. One of my most dear cruising memories is the morning sail along the coast to Montego Bay on Sitmar's Fairwind. Beautiful vistas! Montego Bay left something to be desired, however. But, by 2005, Ocho Rios was even less desireable.

Carnival is good, but too crowded for us.

I completely agree with that.

While new CCL ships (Liberty, Freedom etc) are nicer than older, and service is good (it was better than on Zuiderdam anyway, I hope we sailed in off week for HAL ) crowds on Carnival were unbearable.

If I were you, I'd plan to have lunch in DR, because it was a complete zoo in buffet on Liberty. Lunch food was good, but we hardy could find any table, and lines were big.

I also didn't like pool areas. Too crowded, pools/jacuzzies are too small for such a huge crowd.

Can't wait to read your back to back comparisons of Carnival and HAL. I'm betting on culture shock!

Posters here are right about crowded Carnival ships and ordinary food and service. They are also right about more activities and a more energitic (sp) group of passengers.

We still cruise them once in a while, usually if we're cruising with some of the kids or grandkids who are on a limited budget or looking for a party.

I've been on 3 Carnival ships - Sensation, Spirit, and Fascination - and enjoyed the cruises. Both HAL and Carnival have their strengths and weaknesses. Haven't sailed on one of the new mega Carnival ships, but the lines on the ships I've been on haven't been any longer than HAL's lines.

I did not experience long lines and I thought the food in the DR was equal to, and in some cases, better than HAL. I agree that Carnival's Lido is mediocre, with the exception of the pizza and sandwich deli.

Roz

Archived