Boarding the cruise at a port instead departure city

SunTravels

Hello,

I am considering switching my RCI cruise in January to a Holland America Panama Canal cruise. We are hoping to board in Aruba instead of in Fort Lauderdale. Has anyone ever done something like this before? We are waiting for clearance from HAL about if they will allow us to do it, but I am nervous that maybe they won't, I don’t see anything on the web site that addresses this issue (RCI has no issues with use boarding in Aruba instead of San Juan).

And comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Canal cruises are almost always full, and I wouldn't think that HAL would want to sell a cabin for less than the full cruise. You could possibly book it from FLL and "miss" the sailing??

I don't see why not as long as your willing to pay full fare from the normal departure point..Boarding Passengers do not go through Immigrations..It should be a very simple process..

When passengers miss flights to departure cities, & the ship has departed, they will board passengers at the next port of call..

Believe all you would have to do is get your luggage to the Boarding ramp...HAL would probably send a Crew Member to help you get your luggage through the scanner on board & to your cabin..You would then have to go to the front desk to obtain your room Key & put down your credit card or cash for payment..

If HAL Reservations refuses your request, suggest you go up the ladder with your request...

Please let us know what HAL decides..

JMO..:)Betty

cruisequeen10: Thank you. I hope since RCI said it was ok...that maybe Aruba is an approved port...we are going for our honeymoon and spending the first week in Aruba. We are really excited about the possibilty of trying HAL and the Panama Canal, so we hope is works out.

jtl513: It's the full price either way (which is ok by us), so hopefully that's ok...if not maybe we will just have to have missed our plane and catch up with the ship ;)

Here's to hoping :)

serendipity1499: I would think you'd be correct...I sure hope so, it seems to make sense to me. I put the request in today and they said it would take a few days to process so I will be sure and let you all know what the verdict is.

jtl513: It's the full price either way (which is ok by us), so hopefully that's ok...
Yes, I assumed that. I don't think boarding in Aruba would be a PVSA violation requiring a fine ($300 pp), but I'm not positive of that. Probably not, since I think Aruba is classified as a 'distant' foreign port, and the ship will be stopping at others before you would get off.
I hope since RCI said it was ok...that maybe Aruba is an approved port...
I think RCI may be doing FLL/Aruba round trips where you can make either end your embarkation/debarkation port, which is a little different situation.

Good luck! :)

Yes, I assumed that. I don't think boarding in Aruba would be a PVSA violation requiring a fine ($300 pp), but I'm not positive of that.

The PVSA isn't a factor as it only applies to passengers both boarding and disembarking in US ports.

Things might have changed in a decade, but my husband had to do this once. I boarded the ship in Vancouver; he was to pick it up in Acapulco. Storms interferred and he couldn't catch up to the ship until Costa Rica. In both cases he had to be in touch with Seattle to make special arrangements, but there was never a question that the arrangements would be made.

Good luck with your plans. And best wishes on your marriage! :)

The PVSA isn't a factor as it only applies to passengers both boarding and disembarking in US ports.
Yes, but since the ship (and most passengers) are going US-US, I wasn't sure if it might apply.

I don't see why not as long as your willing to pay full fare from the normal departure point..Boarding Passengers do not go through Immigrations..It should be a very simple process..

You are absolutely correct. I boarded the Rotterdam in Puerto Limon after missing the ship in Fort Lauderdale on my first cruise. The front desk was aware that six of us had missed the ship due to a delayed flight, and were expecting us. I did get hung up in the port inspector's office at the pier for a short while, while they checked my passport and whatnot, but then was allowed to proceed to the ship. When the people at the gangway saw me struggling with the luggage, someone ran out and gave me a hand. They took my luggage (presumably to be hand inspected) and then it was delivered to my cabin. It was there by the time I took care of business at the front desk and got my room key. Hand luggage was scanned the same way it would be for anyone returning from a tour in Costa Rica.

Since Aruba is a "foreign port," I can't imagine any problem with boarding there, though ... of course ... you would still have to pay the full cost of the cruise. You only get a break on the price if there are multiple embarkation ports listed for the cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

My wife boarded the Star Princess last April in La Serena, Chile. The ship had departed the day before from Valapariso, Chile. We had asked Princess if we could do this as we were visiting friends that live in the Andes and are closer to La Serena than Valapariso. Princess head office said it was up to the Captain. In a few days we received a fax saying that the capt had said we could board the ship in La Serena. It is a closed port so took as some time to get through all the checks and double-checks. Our friends were able to drive us down to the ship's gangway. We had to wait for a Princess staff to come and check our passports against her list of names. We carrried our own luggage onboard, they were put through the scanner and we were checked in. This is not your situation and it probably depends on laws and other issues. But, it can be done in places.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

So we did finally get approval to board the ship in Aruba. They gave us a printed piece of paper to bring to the Aruba port, so that they know we have prior approval! We are so excited! Can't wait to try HAL! Thanks everyone for your feedback!

:)

I'm glad to read this thread. There is a slight, very slight chance that my husband would not be boarding on Sunday with me, but would need to meet us at the first available port which would be Grand Turks since HMC is our first stop. I am hoping we will know by the end of the day, but it's keeping me on edge!

Hello,

So we did finally get approval to board the ship in Aruba. They gave us a printed piece of paper to bring to the Aruba port, so that they know we have prior approval! We are so excited! Can't wait to try HAL! Thanks everyone for your feedback!

:)

Fantastic!.:) We spent our Honeymoon in Aruba in 1976.. Could only get off from work for 3 days plus the weekend, but still had a wonderful time..We stayed at the Divi Divi Hotel, which no longer exists, however every time we hear a Steel Band playing, it reminds us of Aruba..

Enjoy your extended Honeymoon in Aruba & on the Cruise...

Congratulations to you both..We hope you have a Long, Happy, Healthy, & Prosperous Marriage..:):):):)

Betty

My husband boarded in Curacao on our last cruise that left from Fort Lauerdale. I also got an e-mail approval from HAL, but didn't need it. Everything will be in the ship's computer.

You should notify the purser when you board, and they will have the port agent make arrangements to get you past security and onto the ship. Then you will have to go directly to the purser and get your picture taken and get room keys.

The captain of the Noordam even sent a bottle of champagne to welcome DH on board. :) Everything went without a hitch.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Archived