A question about dining

Hi

Having never done a "proper cruise" before (only Ocean Village - no formal dining):

I understand we have a choice of 2 dining times ?

I understand that we (my wife and I ) can choose to sit alone or share a table (we would like to share).

When do we arrange all of this ?

When we board or before we leave the UK ?

We have booked via a travel agent in the UK - Virgin Cruises.

Take it easy this will work out just fine.

Everything will go automaticly. Specially if you like to have a table with others :)

We travel with kids and normaly use first seating - and second seating is less kids. We have the show after dinner.

There is only 1 dining room, but on most ships, there are 2 or more levels, and they "name" them differently. Even "my time dining" uses the same dining room.

You can request a 2-top, but it's not guaranteed, unless you do the "my time dining"...we enjoy tablemates!!!!

When you booked, you should have been asked what time you wanted to eat---either Main or Late seating.

Call your booking agent and tell them what your preference is--and make sure they inform RCI for you--that's their job!

Take it easy this will work out just fine.

Everything will go automaticly. Specially if you like to have a table with others :)

We travel with kids and normaly use first seating - and second seating is less kids. We have the show after dinner.

So I organise all of this upon boarding or on my first visit to the MDR ?

There is only 1 dining room, but on most ships, there are 2 or more levels, and they "name" them differently. Even "my time dining" uses the same dining room.

You can request a 2-top, but it's not guaranteed, unless you do the "my time dining"...we enjoy tablemates!!!!

When you booked, you should have been asked what time you wanted to eat---either Main or Late seating.

Call your booking agent and tell them what your preference is--and make sure they inform RCI for you--that's their job!

Oh, ok.

The agent didn't ask anything about dining they just took my £ 1,000 deposit !

I'll call them.

Thanks

Hi

Having never done a "proper cruise" before (only Ocean Village - no formal dining):

I understand we have a choice of 2 dining times ?

Yes, they have first and second seating.

I understand that we (my wife and I ) can choose to sit alone or share a table (we would like to share).

You can ask for a table for two, but that is not a guarantee that you will get one. If you want to share, ask for a large table.

When do we arrange all of this ?

Here in the USA, it is arranged at the time of booking.

When we board or before we leave the UK ?

Call your travel agent and arrange this if at all possible before you leave. If it can not be done, then as soon as you board te ship, go to the dining room and see the Maitri D and make your request.

We have booked via a travel agent in the UK - Virgin Cruises.

I hope you get you choices of dining time and table. Have a wonderful cruise vacation.

Annieeee

Oh, ok.

The agent didn't ask anything about dining they just took my £ 1,000 deposit !

I'll call them.

Thanks

£1,000 deposit?! :eek: We've only ever paid £100 deposit - £200 at the most!

£1,000 deposit?! :eek: We've only ever paid £100 deposit - £200 at the most!

We have upgraded to Virgin Premium economy and 1 week is coming in at £ 1750 each for a balcony cabin.

Original price was £ 2,100 each but I got it down to £ 1,750.

We booked on Sunday 22nd May and we have to pay our balance NOW !!! 13 weeks prior to departure !

£ 500 each deposit up front was what we had to pay.

So I organise all of this upon boarding or on my first visit to the MDR ?

Your TA should have asked you what time you wanted to dine...especially before he relieved you of £1000!

There is a choice of main (6:15) 2nd (8:30) or MyTime (go when you want between 6:00 and 9:30).

If you have kids then they do their best on board to seat you with familes with children of similar age.

You're traveling on Liberty of the Seas, which I believe has two dining rooms. You will be assigned to the one closest to your cabin. (Aft or forward.)

Agree with the others that your TA should have asked you about your dining time and how large a table you would prefer. When we selected traditional dining, we always asked for large table, to meet more people.

You have a third choice on Liberty, called MyTime Dining, which enables you to eat whenever you choose, rather than at a set time. However, if you wish to eat with other passengers, this option would not work for you.

You'll find more children at the earlier seating. The early seating is sometimes difficult to get to on port days. The late seating tends to be more adults, but we found we sometimes would fall asleep in the dark theatre following a heavy meal at 8:30 PM! It's a toss up and it's why we have sacrificed the social aspects of traditional dining for the flexibility of MyTime Dining. However, for your first cruise, the social hour may be a bigger perk for you.

ENJOY.

You're traveling on Liberty of the Seas, which I believe has two dining rooms. You will be assigned to the one closest to your cabin. (Aft or forward.)

Umm, Liberty of the Seas has one dining room and it is aft, it just takes up 3 levels. The only RCCL ships that have separate dining rooms are Majesty and Monarch and even then those are right on top of each other.

We are booked on Independence of the Seas. We have booked for the second sitting dining, i.e. 8.30pm.

How does this fit in with seeing the Shows? Is it possible to see a show before the meal? Is there a later Show we can see, and will it make for a rushed meal?

We have upgraded to Virgin Premium economy and 1 week is coming in at £ 1750 each for a balcony cabin.

Original price was £ 2,100 each but I got it down to £ 1,750.

We booked on Sunday 22nd May and we have to pay our balance NOW !!! 13 weeks prior to departure !

£ 500 each deposit up front was what we had to pay.

Oh, I see. The large deposit (I assume) is because of booking premium seating. We did that on one holiday and had to pay in advance for it over and above the normal deposit.

We've booked the Liberty for next February for our 3rd RCCI cruise. We had early and late dining on our other cruises but neither exactly suited us. We had late dining on the Serenade (Caribbean). It was nice not having to rush to get ready for dinner, but dinner takes an hour or more and by the time we'd finished, we were too tired to go off and enjoy a show.

So we booked early dining on the Voyager next (Med). Although we had plenty of time after dinner to visit bars and shows, it was a hell of a rush to be ready for it after a day ashore. Twice we skipped it altogether and ate in the Windjammer and Johnny Rockets as we reboarded the ship hot, sweaty and tired, and had about 30 minutes to get ready for dinner. We like to relax for a while when we get back on board.

So I was really happy to find out that the Liberty is offering the My Time Dining option which we've signed up for. We can take each day as it comes and dine when we feel ready for it.

By the way, don't worry about the shows. The late ones don't start until after 10pm giving you plenty of time if you have a late dinner.

Archived