Bit of a blog – Jewel of the Seas – Panama Canal – March 2nd 2009

I left your mum a voice message on her phone..... hope I didn't scare her with my English accent :D

The phone rang last night but I was already semi conscious..... ;)

We're Gold members so won't bump into her in the lounge.....

Can't wait to hear what my Mom says when she gets home...I'm sure she was shocked to hear from you!

I'm enjoying reading your posts. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Thanks again!

the other Linda

Due to the poor weather in the US on departure day not everyone had made the ship on time. We had a handful join us in Aruba who’d been held up in the snowstorms.

Last night there was a buffet laid on in the Windjammer from 11pm – midnight. As we hadn’t gone to dinner in the MDR we hadn’t been told. Someone in one of the lifts last night mentioned it and I passed it on. It WAS in the Compass but in very small print in the bit where they print meal times. We weren’t hungry but we still went. And ate. This has to stop,

Day 6 – Friday March 6th

Feeling hot, hot, hot. Due to dock around 12 noon. I’ve spent the past part of a half hour trying to post yesterday’s blog on my laptop. I work out it’s to do with IE and devise a sequence of keystrokes to keep me online. I’m sitting in one of the Internet Access areas on Deck 7. There are many people waiting to use one of the computers. There is a couple on their own laptop and on one of the ship’s machines. Cute.

Finally make the fresh air as we come into Cartagena. It’s totally nothing like I was expecting. High rise buildings dominate the skyline in the bay. At least in the bay the water is calm..... we’d had a bumpy ride for quite a few hours.

Debarkation is opened. Our tour guide is waiting for us at the ramp. Unfortunately not everyone who had signed up for the tour turned up. We wait for 40 minutes then make off. Whilst we are being shown around town by our guide Martin he takes a call on his phone. 2 of our group had missed the guide with his sign at the dock and had walked past and gone to the terminal. Martin’s colleague put them in a cab and we met up with them. We are still 4 people short..... this means we will be paying more for our tour.

Our first stop is La Popa, a monastery on a very high hill. The climb is winding and steep. There are stations of the cross marking the route up. I don’t have access to the net as I’m writing this so am relying on my memory. We are met by an army of traders plying their wares. One man is holding up a sloth..... I am concerned at this as I’ve not seen anything like this in recent years. I just say ‘Non gracias’ and move on through. I am to say that phrase many, many times during the day. There are 5 monks still living in the monastery which is being restored. The courtyard is a haven. There is a sense of something special about the place which I can’t define. Our guide is efficient and moves us through the various rooms describing the artefacts. He is competent.

Next stop the Fort. After yesterday I feel I can climb anything. This is a good steep climb. The ramparts are fascinating and the history as explained by Martin spellbinding. The wind is blowing strong. This helps to keep us less hot than we would normally have been. We forget to take a picture of the statue of the half man.....

We’re driven briefly through some very poor neighbourhoods. The deprivation saddens me immensely. Unemployment is at 10%. This country is full of natural resources and yet there are many people living a meagre lifestyle.

We walk around the Old Town and are accosted continually by traders. I am touched on my arm more than once. That bothers more than frightens me. There are young people, children, blacked up, creating statues. Whilst the architecture, colours and sounds of the city are exciting I am being continually reminded that I am exceptionally privileged to be having this holiday.

I don’t want to visit the Dungeons. They are numerous craft / tourist shops. I stay on board the bus and watch from across the road. I’m very overheated. There are women in traditional dress with basins containing fruit on their head. I encourage Darran to go and take their photograph. It helps that he offers them a $ or two. Clearly that is their remit. For him this is an adventure and he makes the most of it :D

We’re taken to an Emerald workshop and showroom. We hadn’t requested this stop. I’m wary of the sign that states they are the only genuine emerald workshop using prescribed techniques. It’s interesting. My Credit Card stays in its place.

We’ve requested a lunch stop. The restaurant has been recommended. We are served huge portions of Coconut Shrimp with rice. Service is extremely slow.

We’re to visit a mall..... it’s a few shops around a square. Shopkeepers on our way to the square fall over themselves to jump through their shop doorways to entice us in. We find the recommended coffee / chocolate shop. Whilst others are buying we attempt to purchase a T-shirt for Darran. Not having sufficient bills on me I offer the credit card. The shopkeeper miscalculates the rate of exchange..... the T-shirt is priced in $ but we are to pay in the local currency.... with his rate the $20 T-shirt is nearly $60. Hmmmmm. I am astute enough to have realised this and reject the T-shirt and insist that the card be refunded.

We’ve had an amazing day. Cartagena is a beautiful, vibrant city. We’re glad we took this tour and can recommend the tour company – Dora runs it – I can get you more info if you want just not online when typing this. Speaking to other people who took different tours the caution I felt out on the streets was echoed. Someone was actually told to not take pictures in one particular street as the inhabitants were Mafia!

We are the last to return to the ship. Got to love that shower. It’s dark by the time of sailaway. Once we hit open water the ship starts rolling. Beaufort 7. It’s difficult to stay out on the balcony as the door keeps opening with a bang then shutting with a bang...... People are staggering all over the place in the public areas. We have a bite to eat in the Windjammer; meet another Brit. This is his first cruise. He says he and his wife are bored. They’ve been ashore but haven’t been impressed to any degree. I can’t believe we’re on the same ship. We then go to see the headliner act..... an Australian Italian guitarist / entertainer. We last 5 minutes.

We run into people from the forum and spend time catching up. We pop into the Safari Club to see what’s happening there. There’s one of the entertainment staff announcing the evening’s entertainment on the microphone. There is one couple sitting in there.... they are outnumbered by the bar staff. They leave. We leave. The Caribbean band are playing to the bar staff.

Back to the theatre for the Love and Marriage Show. Joff Eaton is on top form. Doesn’t matter that we’ve seen the show last year..... the couples on stage can’t help but be amusing and he works them as the true pro that he is. This is one show that’s being repeated on the TV. Never did get to see Marty Allen.

The Solarium cafe is open for business all night! Another find. Darran gets a hot dog and a tea to take back to the room. Ship is really rolling.

The Jewel is a great ship.We miss it dearly after going on the CCL Valor.

We had Sergey (? Spelling) from the Ukraine as our assistant waiter and Ulrich was our waiter from Trinidad Tobaggo.They were great .I always wonder if they are still on the ship?? i will go out of my way to sail on her again.Thesawch

91510001.jpg.4315c7bc58256eaf09fbe40ffa00c67a.jpg

91510002.jpg.8fa84a15ab0b6bcb97880688ec0a2138.jpg

I'm enjoying your updates' date=' and wishing you calmer seas. BTW...what the heck is Beaufort 7? :confused:[/quote']

The Beaufort Wind Scale shows the effects that various wind speeds has on water and on land, much like the Fujita scale measures a tornado's intensity. Beaufort 7 is a wind speed of 31 to 38 mph.

BTW, I've been following your blog with interest, as we will be doing the Jewel to the Canal in April.

Oh, what a great blog! You do have a way with words ... I've laughed out loud several times. We were on the Jewel for the Jan. 29th sailing and our experience was very much the same. We were astounded at Cartegena. I wish we could have stayed until 7 or so. We also found the vendors in Old Town overly agressive but that's the only negative. And, ditto on the rough ride and high seas. We've always booked early so we could snag a corner aft balcony but never again. I called RCI the minute we got home and switched to a midship hump on our future cruises. Usually Bonine does the trick but this time, I spent lots of time on Deck 5, midship, outside on the balcony letting the salt air blow in my face. I I know a ship is like a see-saw but it's never been an issue before. Our safe didn't work and one night the door banged all night long. I duct taped it but it still banged. I finally got smart and stuffed pillows inside and then used tape to keep it shut and quiet. Ha! Other than that, it was a fabulous cruise ... we thought the food was outstanding!

Oh, what a great blog! You do have a way with words ... I've laughed out loud several times. We were on the Jewel for the Jan. 29th sailing and our experience was very much the same. We were astounded at Cartegena. I wish we could have stayed until 7 or so. We also found the vendors in Old Town overly agressive but that's the only negative. And, ditto on the rough ride and high seas. We've always booked early so we could snag a corner aft balcony but never again. I called RCI the minute we got home and switched to a midship hump on our future cruises. Usually Bonine does the trick but this time, I spent lots of time on Deck 5, midship, outside on the balcony letting the salt air blow in my face. I I know a ship is like a see-saw but it's never been an issue before. Our safe didn't work and one night the door banged all night long. I duct taped it but it still banged. I finally got smart and stuffed pillows inside and then used tape to keep it shut and quiet. Ha! We also had an "Alpha Alpha Alpha" call at 2 or 3 am (although our PA was turned off). That was another first as I thought the call went out only to crew members, officers, etc. Other than that, we had a wonderful time and thought the ship was gorgeous and the food fabulous!

Peck : didn't buy the wine package..... was just posting on that thread in sympathy! Will check on the prices for you.

Day 7 – Saturday March 7th

Sea day. Sorry to disappoint you but I’ve not a lot to say for today. I’m exhausted and when I’m not eating a meal I’m sleeping. Two adventurous days have left me energy- less. Plus..... we’re still rolling.... we’ve made a detour to calmer seas and slowed right down but the act of walking is still unsteady.

The pool is closed. Few people out on deck.

It’s a smart casual night in the dining room and I feel up to going. There’s a welcome back party for C&A members and we go to that first. Free drinks ;) Captain does a spiel about the future of RCI with Oasis and the Venture Class (?). Joff (CD) cracks jokes about neighbourhoods. They give a bottle of champagne to a lady who has 60 cruise credits.....

We have a merry dinner with some total strangers. Isn’t it great how you can do that on a cruise. Would never dream of sharing a dinner table on land with total strangers. They have been to the Mystery Dinner Theatre and rated it highly.

They’ve cancelled the planned show tonight as it involves aerial acts and they don’t feel it is safe due to the wind. It’s changed to tomorrow and we have a vocalist called Dwayne Britton who is a cast member and a recording artist in his own right. He can sing in tune and well. He is followed on stage by a comedian.... Steve Shaffer. He moves around on stage in a curious little dance way..... the Brits following this thread will get this ...... Lee Evans he isn’t. However he is funny and a couple of his jokes appear original. He works very hard and after the show could be seen selling his dvd. We have sat thru a whole show and lived to tell the tale!

There’s a show tonight called Majority Rules. 10 questions and the points are gained by answering the same as the majority. Darran and I play as a team. We realise early on that we’re not going to win so we answer in as ridiculous a fashion as we can. We get a few laughs for some of our responses.....

We’re at the canal tomorrow and I want to be up to catch our entering. Alarm set for 6am.

I cannot wait for your posting on the Canal. We will sail on JOS April 13th and I am so enjoying your posts. Excellent information and very well written. Thank you for taking the time to share your cruise with us.:)

Day 8 – Sunday March 8th

I am awake before the alarm. By the time it goes off I’m ready to go! I warn Darran that I’ve read on the boards about the need to use insect repellent. He says he’ll be fine. He gets bitten later on.

Front of the upper decks are already full of people standing.... in some places several behind each other. I’ve seen on the bridge cam that the heli pad is already busy. I’ve lost Darran in the crowd but make a place for myself on the port side. The experience was awesome. There is a running commentary already under way. The lady giving the talk is clear and easy to understand. She points out the various interesting bits. It takes about an hour and a half ish to make the transition from the sea to the lake. I’m glued to my spot and take picture after picture with my little camera phone. I know Darran will be somewhere different getting an alternate view.

It’s incredibly warm and humid at 7am when we enter the canal. The rain forest is lush even though the sun is obscured by clouds. There are birds flying overhead and their song is shrill and exciting. There is no sense of urgency, of effort, as we glide on through the locks. We are behind a vessel and are followed by another. There are 2 lanes going in the same direction. One ship in a lock at a time, guided on either side by locomotives on rails. A crocodile is pointed out to us by the guide. I take a picture of the area but have no idea if there is a crocodile in it..... when I get a chance to enlarge the image I’ll get back to you J There is a container ship alongside us and we share photo opportunities with their crew.

I am awestruck, I’ll admit it. I eventually tear myself away from deck 12 and head to deck 5 where there is an outside deck, take a look at both sides and then to our aft cabin. The view from each is amazing with a different aspect to the traverse. This is why we have taken the cruise and we have not been left disappointed in the slightest. We arrive at Gatun Lake and then we have breakfast.

We’re glad that we’ve decided to stay on board the Jewel to ride her back. Others are disembarking on tenders for their tours. I’m still feeling rough (am I dehydrated perhaps?) and go back to bed. I’m back up as we head to the locks to make our return trip. Again I visit different decks to get a different perspective. There are people from the ship at the visitor’s centre ashore watching us. We exchange waves.

This has been a once in a lifetime experience. On our way to Cristobal Pier, Colon, I DO see a crocodile sunning itself on a bank. I’m on deck 11 in Windjammer and it is far far away. Apparently someone with binoculars has seen monkeys jumping between trees.

We visit the market at the Pier in Colon. There are native Panamanians (?) in various stages of undress. There is loud drum music. Women with vivid tattooes. Children with face paint. It’s surreal to be honest. I try to barter for a T-shirt and fail. There are lovely masks woven out of wicker (?) and I regret not buying one. Fellow cruisers are enjoying the cheap beer. There is a policeman with the soppiest looking dog I’ve ever seen. A spaniel who looked like he would prefer to be chasing a ball than a villain.

The bay is full of vessels awaiting their turn to go up the canal. There is an American navy vessel. As the sun goes down we can see the floodlights from the canal which operates 24/7.

After dinner we head for the centrum where it’s 70s night. The entertainment staff are out in full regalia.... white suits, afro wigs, platform soles. We head for the theatre..... we manage....oooh.....5 minutes of the show. The dancing was good. What I saw of it. It’s all a bit of an anti climax following the canal.

NorbertsNiece

Thanks for the great posts and for taking the time to make them live! It's great to hear you're having a great time on the Jewel, we are sailing on Brilliance in 3 weeks!

Sorry to hear you're feeling rough. Dehydration is a definite possibility. On our last cruise (which was only 4 nights on Indy) we all felt the effects of not drinking enough water. It's so easy to be slack but it catches up with you in the end. At home I drink a pint of water every time I'm in the kitchen. On a cruise I'm lucky to get more than 2 or 3 of those tiny glasses a day!

So I wish you plain sailing and look forward to your posts. I'll make sure England is in good shape for your return :D

Day 9 – Monday March 9th

Writing this Tuesday. Wind is up BIG time. Relative wind 48/50mph. Beaufort 7/ 8 according to TV. We are rocking. 845am and temp is already 27C / 81F. Sea day.... had planned on mini golf with new friends. Should be interesting.

Back to yesterday. Costa Rica. Puerto Limon. This is a very poor in wealth town but rich in character and personality. We meet our tour operator at the pier. Charlie Soto from OkeyDokey Tours. He is an outgoing, very amiable man. He had asked for a couple of major league soccer shirts..... Liverpool and Man U. He puts on the Liverpool one immediately. Soccer is the national sport here. We are introduced to our guide, Carlos, and driver Alex, and board the bus.

The main road out of Puerto Limon is not so much a road as one massive pothole. Buses, trucks all vehicles, veer from one side of the road to the other in order to make progress. It is raining and continues to do so for much of the morning. Our first stop is the Tortuguero Canal. We get into a small motor boat with 2 other couples for our journey into the forest. Our guide is young but full of knowledge about the wildlife. He steers the craft to both banks naming the birds and lizards we see along the way. Darran is in photographic heaven. It rains for most of the trip. The boat is covered but the sides are open. We are given waterproof ponchos to wear. The ride is an hour and a half. We see a number of sloths asleep in their trees.

On our way to the banana plantation the driver stops. He points out monkeys climbing in the trees. The plantation itself is massive. It provides fruit for Del Monte. The workers are on a break whilst we are there so we aren’t able to watch much processing.

Along the road we stop to meet a couple of boys...... 12/13 years old. Each is holding a sloth, one of which is holding a baby about a week old. The sloths are apparently wild, living free . We get to hold them. They are beautiful. I am concerned for their welfare but the boys do appear to be caring for them well. We give them each a $.

Again we stop at a roadside fruit stand. They have tiny bananas which are sweet. I purchase a coconut for a $ for the juice. The flesh is of a softer consistency than I am used to and I find it unpalatable. They offer chocolate in its pod..... white and to my eye unsavoury...... I love chocolate..... but I’m used to it having been processed..... I pass on tasting this......

We are taken for lunch at a beachside restaurant. I have forgotten my sanitising wipes.... fortunately others are less scatty than me and we are able to clean up. There are children trying to earn money by selling hibiscus blooms. Later we are to see Police carrying a sloth hanging onto a wooden pole away from the beach..... it is illegal to remove the sloths from their habitat. Someone had clearly been trying to raise some $ from the tourists. Lunch comprises of a huge plate of rice and beans, salad and two different types of spicy chicken. It is way too much to eat and is delicious.

We had requested that part of our tour include an animal sanctuary. Donna from the roll call had a copy of the email where this was confirmed. We persuaded Carlos to take us there. It was right by the canal where we had been this morning. Not altogether sure why they had decided not to take us there. He did say we would have to pay to go there and I said that we had specifically requested it to be included and had not been told this would come at extra expense. It was akin to a little private zoo. The lady insisted that once the animals were well they were repatriated to the wild. She had a sloth in a cage, various tropical birds, peacocks and hens, and a mad black bird, way skinnier than a turkey, who found Darran and some of the other men quite attractive and spent some time chasing him around.

We’re then driven to a hilltop to view the city. Then back down to the local supermarket. We take a short walk but I’m concerned about being lost and frankly I don’t feel very comfortable. Head back to the waiting bus. Others have bought coffee and chocolate.

There’s a market at the pier and we buy a couple of T shirts. Back on board Darran rests while I blog and post. After much prevaricating we go to dine in the MDR. Am tired and being served is a little help along the way.

It’s Quest night! We get to the Safari Lounge early enough and it’s packed. 3 piece band playing C&W and I love watching the dancers.... even with a slight touch of jealousy.... I love to dance. D doesn’t. Not sure about the choice of music though. But the dance floor is busy busy busy and the videographer is there.

So Quest.

We’re sitting next to a young man who has been saving a seat. His female companion joins him and then the couple who won the Love & Marriage game. We join them and become a team. It’s hysterical. We have a really good time and our team came 2nd and we got medals! We failed on one question so missing out on the champagne. But that didn’t matter. The lovely thing was that we were included in the team by the young uns, they made sure we got to play and get involved in the fun.

We run into our roll call friends, Lynn and Murph. It is their wedding anniversary and his birthday tomorrow. We are coincidentally going to Portofino’s on Wednesday which is Darran’s birthday. Hopefully we can sit together which will make for a lovely evening.

Bar prices from Jewel of the Seas – March 2009 Priced in US $

Flagship favourites

Lava flow 6.75

Ultimate cosmopolitan 9.25

Ultimate Mai Tai 7.25

Patron Perfect Margarita 8.75

Tropical Treasures

Summer Breeze 6.00

Mango Mai Tai 5.75

Pyrats Hurricane 8.25

Pyrat Rum Runner 7.50

Bahama Papa 7.25

Jamaican Breeze 7.25

Trinidad Punch 7.25

Coconut Blast 8.50

Goombay Smash 7.25

Blue Hawaiian 8.25

Frozen Fun

Frozen Mai Tai 8.25

Ultimate Pina Colada 6.75

Ultimate Strawberry Daiquiri 8.25

Passion Colada 8.25

Lava Flow 6.75

Mango Lava Flow 6.75

Frozen Rum Runner 8.25

Papaya Lava Flow 8.25

Wildberry Lava Flow 8.25

Frozen Bahama Mama 8.25

Royal ‘Ritas

Ocean ‘Rita 7.75

Strawberry Margarita 8.75

Passion-Mango ‘Rita 8.75

Pomegranate Margarita 7.75

Teas & Lemonade

Long Island Iced Tea 7.75

Long Beach Iced Tea 7.75

Midori Lemonade 8.00

Italian Tea 7.75

Frozen Lemonade 7.00

Martini Madness

Appletini 8.00

Lemon Drop 8.00

Pomegranate Cosmo 8.00

Ultimate Cosmopolitan 9.25

Pear Melon Martini 8.00

Beers

Long list. Between 4.00 and 7.00

All Aboard Alcohol Free

Oreo Cookie 4.00

Bora Bora Brew 2.95

Berry Banana Colada 4.00

Passion Papaya Crush 2.95

Pineapple Blast 3.50

Sodas

Coca Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, Powerade, Red Bull and Bottled Water (500ml and 1 Litre) not sure what the current price is...... receipts in room and am currently sat in the Solarium where the people in the pool are being buffeted merrily by the rocking of the boat.... much screaming and fun being had by them......

Thanks for the price lists, looks like an expensive cruise. They are a lot more expensive than Splendour of the Seas last year and thats the dollar price. But hey we are holiday and will still have a good time and wont worry about the bill.

Love your blog and your touches of humor, cannot wait to board Jewel in August.

Bill

Day 10 - Tuesday 10th March

Bit of a nothing day to be honest which is why I didn’t post this earlier. Sea day. Wrote up and posted the blog for yesterday. We went to a talk given by the Captain and his executive. On the TV there’s been a talk about the workings of the Bridge given by the captain. It’s a pretty straightforward talking head kind of interview. Pretty bland. This talk in the theatre is far more interesting and gives the captain an opportunity to show his sense of humour and more of his personality. We are handed a sheet with loads of interesting information such as how many eggs are eaten in a week....

There is a slide show showing Jewel during her build and her float out. There is talk by the Chief Engineer which went right over my head to be honest. The Captain’s 2nd in command and the Hotel Director also spoke and with the use of slides were able to impress us with the size of operation and the organisation that such an enterprise commands.

There is a Q&A session. After acknowledging the Captain and his crew for steering us through a safe course during such inclement weather, praising the service and quality of the ‘front of house’ staff and then congratulating Joff on his team I asked the burning question that has fixed itself in my head since I joined these boards. I asked for the definitive answer to this question : ‘why can’t we bring irons on board?’ Now it may be my English accent or the shock of being asked such a deep and all encompassing question.... I don’t know.... but I was asked to repeat it. So I did....with actions.

I can answer in full and quote the Captain in his entirety.

Safety.

That’s what he said. In full. Unedited. Word for word. The microphone was taken away from me so I couldn’t ask a supplementary question..... look.... the Chief Engineer was standing there..... I was looking for a spiel along the lines of wattage and load bearing and such. And I get a one word response. So there it is. You know now.

Safety.

Too late for lunch in the MDR now. Head for Windjammer. Chill out in the Solarium. Blah. Blah. Formal night. More food. Casino. Lose more.

Archived