Carnival to Drop Vancouver and use Seattle

I'll bet it has to do with new rules for traveling to Canada coming up in June.......

http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatravelplanner/qt/valid_travel_ID.htm

Maybe someone from Canada and who is more familiar with the Fast cards could confirm or correct...but my understanding from when I worked at a transport company in Ontario is that the Fast cards are only to be used when a commercial driver is transporting a Fast approved load to and from Fast approved companies. Before anyone holding a Fast card tries to use it as a travel document for personal use, I would look closely at the rules.

Maybe so the cruisers wouldn't need a passport (US Citizens that is). Since it is departing and returning to the same US port.

You would need a passport if you got off in a Canadian port, but otherwise you are correct

I would say it has to do with money. Ships have to stop at a foreign port. That is why Hawaii cruises have a stop in either Canada or Mexico and Alaskan cruises have a stop in Canada. The NCLA ships does not have to cuz it is an American Flagged ship.

The article actually says why they are doing it after reading the link:

The move to Seattle is in keeping with the line's renewed focus on cruise hubs that are easy for Americans to reach by car.

but if they are stopping in canada as a port.. wouldn't they need those documents anyway :confused:

I would assume there would be no Canada stop. The ship would sail right to Alaska and the inside passage..... Dropping Whittier as a port is interesting too.

Who knows, it's all speculation anyway....we'll all know soon enough...as soon as 2010 Alaska cruises show up on the website.

Maybe someone from Canada and who is more familiar with the Fast cards could confirm or correct...but my understanding from when I worked at a transport company in Ontario is that the Fast cards are only to be used when a commercial driver is transporting a Fast approved load to and from Fast approved companies. Before anyone holding a Fast card tries to use it as a travel document for personal use, I would look closely at the rules.

The Fast cards are only for commercial drivers, etc.

Nexus and the Enhanced DL would be applicable to cruise passengers.

I would assume there would be no Canada stop. The ship would sail right to Alaska and the inside passage..... Dropping Whittier as a port is interesting too.

Who knows' date=' it's all speculation anyway....we'll all know soon enough...as soon as 2010 Alaska cruises show up on the website.[/quote']

Victoria is the Canadian port on this itinerary. They have to stop in one port in Canada to comply with the Passenger Services Act.

I am sure it has to do with the expense of flying to (or from) Anchorage.

With folks starting and ending at Seattle, transportation to/from the port will be a lot less hassle and expense.

Yes a stop in Canada will still be required to satisfy the Jones Act.

It will not matter, you will need a passport to be in Canadian waters, or in a port like Vancover or Victoria. A passport is going to be needed anyhow. There should be no exception to not have it to come to Canada. We need a passport to go to your country, so you should need it to come to ours.

As for that quick pass card for transport trucks, it wouldn't apply...

Vancouver to Vancouver cruises would be great. I do not want to see ships take awaw Vancouver. It is easy and cheap for me to get to Vancouver (direct flight) and not cheap or easy to get to Seattle (connections in Calgary, Vancouver, or Victoria).

• Administrators

Well, drat -- I liked those CCL one way itineraries and was considering one after a land visit for '10. On the bright side, Carnival subsidiaries like HAL and Princess still offer the one way cruises, which are my favorite Alaska itineraries. The Seattle round trips just don't do it for me.

I am sure it has to do with the expense of flying to (or from) Anchorage.

With folks starting and ending at Seattle, transportation to/from the port will be a lot less hassle and expense.

Yes a stop in Canada will still be required to satisfy the Jones Act.

The Jones Act requires a distinct foreign port only when departing from one US port and returning to a different one. If they are doing round trips, a stop in Canada should not be necessary to satisfy the Jones Act. In fact Canada may not classify as one of the "distinct foreign ports" for purposes of the Jones Act.

See if these reasons make more sense:

1) Roundtrip Seattle appeals much more to the US market while round-trip Vancouver appeals to the Canadian market. The US market provides much higher demand.

2)Round-trip air into Seattle is much cheaper than round trip Vancouver, even for Canadians.

3)One of the provisions of the passport law that was and may still be being considered by Homeland Security was cruise passengers going round-trip from a US port will not need passports. This is a provision that the cruise lines have been lobbing for. Thus round-trip Seattle make more sense than Vancouver since a flight to and/or from Vancouver requires a passport. Read this entire article if you don't believe me. http://www.baltimoresun.com/travel/bal-tr.passports22feb22,0,2868697.story

Time will tell.

Archived