What kind of jobs do you have or are you retired?

suzyed

I have noticed that some folks here seem to cruise 5-6 times a year! Some almost look like they live on the ships!!;) And the number of folks who stay in the GV is very surprising to me.

So I can't help wondering what the heck kind of jobs do these folks have that they can take that much time off from work and/or afford to cruise so much?? Or are they all rich retired folks?? :confused:

Silly question maybe...but I am very curious!

I don't know about others, but I get 3 wks vacation a year ( 5 more years and I get another one woohoo:D) I use part of my IRS refund and save, save, save to take vacations, I mostly go to vegas, but after my 1st cruise I have found a new love and plan on cruising atleast once a year. In other words I be poor:(

Some of it may depend on where you live as well. If you have to include airfare in your vacation then it all adds up fast ( especially for me when I am paying for four ) I have retired relatives in Florida that go on cruises all the time. They can leave at a moments notice. My uncle knows a guy at Carnival and he calls him when ever there is a really great deal for a last minute trip. He told me that he recently did a 7 day cruise for $250. For two of them to go thats $500 for the week and no airfare. Sounds pretty doable to me! Some of our cruises I have paid almost $500 / person just on airfare to get to the pier. Every time I talk to my uncle about a cruise he has been on the ship, been to the island and some more than once.

I hope to be doing the same some day!

For the first 8 yrs. of my cruising life, I was married and we owned our own business. The business did quite well. I was a stay at home Mom and he was able to go whenever I found a deal so we would go up to 5 times a year (one year only though). But we usually only cruised 3 times a year and only one of those times would be with the kids.

But now I am divorced from him and have to pay for all my own cruises so I don't have the funds to cruise that often anymore. I do though, manage to cruise atleast once a year still. Its just a little more difficult now.:cool:

I would loe to travel like that again!:D

PS- I am also a travel agent and we are offered FAM cruises at discounted prices but most still aren't cheap. And you still have to pay an extra fee to bring along a 2nd person if they aren't an agent. In other words, we don't travel for free. We have to pay just like everyone else but sometimes we can get a great deal.

For the first 8 yrs. of my cruising life, I was married and we owned our own business. The business did quite well. I was a stay at home Mom and he was able to go whenever I found a deal so we would go up to 5 times a year (one year only though). But we usually only cruised 3 times a year and only one of those times would be with the kids.

But now I am divorced from him and have to pay for all my own cruises so I don't have the funds to cruise that often anymore. I do though, manage to cruise atleast once a year still. Its just a little more difficult now.:cool:

I would loe to travel like that again!:D

PS- I am also a travel agent and we are offered FAM cruises at discounted prices but most still aren't cheap. And you still have to pay an extra fee to bring along a 2nd person if they aren't an agent. In other words, we don't travel for free. We have to pay just like everyone else but sometimes we can get a great deal.

Do you at least get to "write off" some of the cost? After all, you are doing research!!

I'm Jennifer Anistons' cabana boy.

Yes, and I have to apply all that suntan lotion on her all day. I hope this at least leads to a good job some day.

And exactly how much per hour do you PAY Jennifer for the privilege of having this "job"? :D

CG

I'm retired and working as a travel agent also.I cruseed more when I was working fo AT&T. I got 6 weeks vacation and had money to cruise then.Now I have more time but not enough money to go often.Like cruizinrican said,as a travel agent you still have to pay just like any one.sometimes you can get a reduced rate.

I am lucky, have been at my job 18 years. Get off at 2:30 on Fridays and they count as half-days. This year I have 35 days of vacation/time off. My recent Sun cruise used only 10 days so I still have 25 days left. For years I had multiple jobs and scrimped. But after I paid off the mortgage I kept only the main job and treat myself to more extras. Travel has always been important to me. Even in the lean years, I have always managed a few trips a year. Now I feel like 1 a year has to be a cruise. Not having kids seems to translate to more vacation funds. I work for a by estate investment firm in Dallas.

I have a SIL who cruised once and said NEVER AGAIN. I feel it is something I have to do. Now that I have just returned I am anxious to get the next one scheduled. I never had to do that with land-based vacations.

Twice a day, I'm forced to crawl across broken glass on my hands and knees in shorts, then pour lemon juice on it as part of my job.

No, really....at least it feels like that sometimes. I NEED my vacations!

I hear ya! Some days my job seems like that too! I guess that's why they call it "work"!

I'm an OR nurse...but I work per diem, so I more or less make my own schedule. My poor DH, even though he is president of an electronics company, has to wait for his vacation days...:(

I don't get nearly as much time off as I want <Grin>. I am twice retired (military and Govt.) and now working in the Town that I live in as a police officer (something that I did for free since 76 as a reserve.) and enjoying life. Not getting much money for doing it <Grin>, but it is fun, and it does allow for some very nice vacations.

Planning on doing at least one cruise every couple of years ( I have to fit them in on my Europe trips ;)), then there is travel in the US. So I would LOVE to travel more via cruise, but there are also soooooo many other wonderful places to see and things to do on dry land. Seven more years till FULL RETIREMENT and THEN I get to watch for the deals and go when I want to and when they are asking me to cruise inexpensivly :D

regards

Scott in Trophy Club, Texas...

I work for the agency shown on my avatar. I am also a National Guard retiree as of 2006, but won't draw my retired pay until I am 60. DW is a half-time school teacher in a year-round school, she gets several breaks throughout the year, so we can vacation during the off-season. I am fortunate enough to get five weeks per year of vacation time.

We want to try to cruise twice a year, but can't afford a suite or anything like that. We have found cruising to be a bargain for the most part, especially the last one on the Sky and our upcoming one on the Sun. By the time we fly to a city for a vacation, rent a car, eat out, and pay for entertainment, the cost of cruising really is a bargain. We try to vacation once per year with our kid (who is graduating from high school this year and headed off to the Air Force) and once without.

The key for us is to watch our spending on board. You can easily get out of control with on board charges. We don't drink and don't gamble much, so we can save some money that way.

I'm a facility manager for a government research facility and part time race car fabricator. My wife is a former flight attendent with ATA and most recently a breast cancer survivor who going back to school to get her degree in nutrition.

I get 3 weeks a year currently and 4 after this October. We use some of our income tax return funds to take our trips. We shop our cruises and don't get in a hurry to book, waiting for the pricing to come down.

Archived