RCI Stock taking off!!.....

I keep looking at adding more shared in order to cost average what I have. I think I got it at $26 or so...if I can get a few hundred thousand shares at $7 that would help. Charitable contributions for the big purchase welcomed. :D

I figure if I took 300 shared now I pring the cost average well down so I would likley see net increase in worth on that holding later this year or early next year as the economny comes back.

On a broker site - the majority of the purchases / sales are for 100 shares (I wonder why LOL)

Because anything less than 100 is an "odd lot trade" which carries a much higher commission rate.

It honestly has nothing to do with the benefit; most shareholder don't even know about it (except those on CC and the other cruise forums which in total aggregate account for probably less than 5% of all cruisers) and - more importantly - most investors would never buy ANY stock merely for a shareholder's benefit.

Personally, I like RCL's debt a lot more right now than their stock. IF RCL stays afloat, I'll make 30% on their 8% 5/15/2010 bond :D; I was able to get some at 80. Of course, the key to all that is the word IF; after all, RCL's debt is rated junk - only BB... Not for the faint of heart (but theoretically a bit safer than RCL's stock).

I purchased 7500 shares at 5.61...took the gamble:

• That it would not sink to much further
  • Economy will bounce to a point better then it was before the tanking.
  • Stimulus will help provide people with extra funds to cruise
  • Royal C. is a stable company - unlike GM
  • I will dump all by about 500 shares when the stock reaches a pre-picked point that will allow me to pay for 5 years of future cruises (1 a year) with profit after tax on money spend for the cruise cost and not reinvested.
  • :-) I have already gained over $15,000 on this!

• I will dump all by about 500 shares when the stock reaches a pre-picked point that will allow me to pay for 5 years of future cruises (1 a year) with profit after tax on money spend for the cruise cost and not reinvested.

Nice!

Not exactly a wise thing to do.

Since I bought it @$40 a share - I would hardly call it taking off. Fortunatley for some people they bought low - not my case. but I did not buy with the intent of making money - I bought it for the OBC only.

I'm sure you have done things much much more unwise
With respect to financial decisions, I cannot think of any. But thanks for having confidence in me. :rolleyes:

Investing $4,000 (assuming the slotaddict only bought 100 shares @ $40) only to get a max OBC of $200 at a time, a mere 5% max return assuming share prices held at $40, is not logical. Why spend more to get less (remember, slotaddict said he/she bought the stock ONLY for the OCB). Most people buy stocks in the hopes of making money, no?

That is not to say that the OBC benefit (analogous to a dividend) is not a good way to hedge the investment risk, especially when share prices are so low right now.

Well, I could not afford 7,500 shares, but I did buy in at $5.50. :D

Not exactly a wise thing to do.

Maybe not - but I have gotten the OBC's = I have two more cruises coming up - I am making the money just not on paper.

Of course it would take alot of cruises to make up the money that I lost - but I am in for the long haul - I dont care.

Im interested in buying some stock but how? I don't have a broker and don't have a clue where to start. Can i do it without going thru a broker and paying broker fees? Is there a website?

I set up a account with ScottTrade. I was not sure know to do it so I went to the local office and they help me out. They set everything up for me and I deposit the money right away into the account. It was very easy to do.

Laura

• 2 weeks later...

We just bought 100 shares last week at $7.37 so we could get OBC for our upcoming cruise. Figured we would sell right after and at least come out even. Well, my dh is now rather happy I talked him into buying it. We are up $150 so far. I really hope this trend continues for our sake as well as those who purchased the stock while it was much higher.

For the person asking about how to set up an account. We went through Costco and have a Sharebuilder account. It lets you buy as few as 1 share for a reasonable trade fee. Approx. $10. No broker needed. We just transfer money in from our bank account and then make our own trades. Fun for the person who doesn't buy a lot of stock.

We just bought 100 shares last week at $7.37 so we could get OBC for our upcoming cruise. Figured we would sell right after and at least come out even. Well, my dh is now rather happy I talked him into buying it. We are up $150 so far. I really hope this trend continues for our sake as well as those who purchased the stock while it was much higher.

For the person asking about how to set up an account. We went through Costco and have a Sharebuilder account. It lets you buy as few as 1 share for a reasonable trade fee. Approx. $10. No broker needed. We just transfer money in from our bank account and then make our own trades. Fun for the person who doesn't buy a lot of stock.

Nice/congrats!

Archived