How long DOES it take to get off the ship when tendering/docking?

Here was my tender experience on St. Lucia last week.

We had to meet in the Schooner bar for tender tickets. Then we waited to hear our number called. The number was on the ticket. First priority was given to ship booked excursions. The first tender was called at around 8:30. It took about 15 minutes to fill the tender and then we were off. So, we waited from about 8:00 for tickets, and were on the island by 9:00 or shortly there after. However, I happened to be on the first NON-ship excursion tender. Others had to wait longer.

It tends to be busier in the mornings, and then it is faster and easier as more and more people are already off of the ship.

Be sure to know what time the last tender is called and make it back in time to get to the ship!

Sorry, I am a first timer and dont know what I am doing! We are going to Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Georgetown, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, Mexico. Also, how much time should we allow ourselves to get back on at all these places? Thanks!

There will be notification in the cruise compass (your daily events paper in your room each night) and there will be a sign on the tender dock and typically in the ship where you enter the tender. If you are in line at the time stated on the dock you will get back to the ship, no matter how long it takes.

Tendering varies upon the port the weather and lots of other variables. If you are on a ships excursion they will have you wait in a lounge or other specific spot until they are ready to tender your group to the pier.

jc

If you an "walk off" the ship, then it takes no time at all! Come and go at will.

Tendering usually takes about 20 mins. or so--to fill the tender and motor to the dock. The last tender of the day usually leaves about 30 mins. before the ship is to depart, so leave yourself enough time to make it back to the dock!

They issue tickets and it can take an hour or two depending on how many tenders they are running and how many passengers are onboard that want to tender off. They will give you all the information when you get your tender ticket and the wait time.

Here was my tender experience on St. Lucia last week.

We had to meet in the Schooner bar for tender tickets. Then we waited to hear our number called. The number was on the ticket. First priority was given to ship booked excursions. The first tender was called at around 8:30. It took about 15 minutes to fill the tender and then we were off. So, we waited from about 8:00 for tickets, and were on the island by 9:00 or shortly there after. However, I happened to be on the first NON-ship excursion tender. Others had to wait longer.

It tends to be busier in the mornings, and then it is faster and easier as more and more people are already off of the ship.

Be sure to know what time the last tender is called and make it back in time to get to the ship!

Just curios - why did you have to Tender in St Lucia? Serenade usually docks there. Were there to many ships in port or something? We have been to St lucia a number of times and have never had to tender there so just curious as to why you had to.

Cozumel: Dock. Ship will clear customs anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes after it is tied up. Hallways will be jammed, stairwells jammed...at first, after about 30 minutes, it is clear and you can just walk off.

If you take a ship organized tour, they will meet you once you have walked off the pier. IF you are on your own for the day, go get em! Enjoy Cozumel! If you want ideas on how to spend your day in cozumel! Just ask away!!! Lots of ideas from lots of folks...and ignore those that chastise you and tell you to go to the ports section of CC.

Grand Cayman: Tender. They will call ship tours first then open up the tenders to all. But they use very large tenders and you can probably get off with the initial crowd (same folks that jam the stairwells in cozumel..LOL..) Again, Grand cayman ideas? ask away! I would urge you to consider booking Captain Marvin's directly and go spend a day with the Sting Rays!

Archived