Embarrassing beverage question

SarasMommy

When I am at home, my dinner beverage of choice is milk. If I request that in the dining room, will they laugh me right out of the place? I tried to do a search on the topic, but all I found were references to the "Lose while you cruise" board, and posts from parents bringing children with them.

Told you it was embarrassing! :o

I think RuthC recently posted that you can get milk with your evening meal... and if Ruth says it, you can trust it to be true!

Oooo. Thanks. Hope I didn't set the bar too high. ;)

Order milk if that's your desire, and no one will laugh you out of the dining room. Not even a snicker. If you want that as a standing order, at your place when you arrive, just let your steward know. Ask, and ye shall receive.

When I am at home, my dinner beverage of choice is milk. If I request that in the dining room, will they laugh me right out of the place? I tried to do a search on the topic, but all I found were references to the "Lose while you cruise" board, and posts from parents bringing children with them.

Why on Earth would you be embarrassed by that? Lots of people prefer a glass of milk with their dinner ... and not just children either. Just ask your server and I am sure he'll have no problem providing it for you. In fact, if you have the same server each night, after the first night, he'll probably have it sitting at your place each night when you arrive.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Ask, and ye shall receive.

That's a for sure. On the last cruise, I asked for a rum and coke with dinner one night, and sure enough, the next night there was one waiting for me on the table!

Thanks for your responses - three weeks without my dairy fix would be tough. I guess I'd have to make up for it at the ice cream counter!

on one cruise a lovely elegant lady (and i do mean LADY) had 2 glasses of milk with her dinner...served in a wine glass as is her preference and hot milk with dessert. no problem and certainly not embarassed. wait staff are happy to oblige

sara....see you on our cruise....I know how to pick you out now!;)

Yeah . . . everybody is having their wine or cocktails . . . and I'm there with my glass(es) of milk (even tho I could drink anyone of them under the table; and, no, I don't have an ulcer) . . . I like milk and have never had a problem getting milk with dinner on any of the lines I have sailed.

I always have milk (skim) with meals. We have always used fixed dining so I can only speak about that, but others are correct; after the first night, however many glasses of milk you drank, the steward will have that much on his counter, waiting for your arrival. And they'll go back for more if you want it! One of their glasses holds a bit more than 1 carton so I often see 2 cartons over on the serving table so they can fill the glass.

Milk is always out at mealtime in the Lido I think. Breakfast and lunch in the dining room are a bit more problematic in getting the milk if you really want it right at the beginning of the meal. At breakfast time when we are eating in the dining room I'd like to have the skim milk to put in my coffee right away (I don't like the taste of cream) so I've learned to make a quick stop by the Lido before we go to breakfast to pick up a carton and I bring that into the dining room so I'm all set when the coffee is poured. They'll bring more with the breakfast order if you ask. Lunch, it'll come with the meal, and I'm fine with that.

Certainly nobody laughs!

Milk is usually not out in the lido for lunch and dinner. You have to ask.

DD, an adult, has had mixed success requesting it at dinner in the dining room. If was iffy with fixed dining and we haven't gotten it either time we requested it with AWD dining. She's decided only to request milk in the lido.

When I am at home, my dinner beverage of choice is milk. If I request that in the dining room, will they laugh me right out of the place? :o

That is so funny to me (lol). I swear on my first HAL cruise I ordered milk with dinner the first night. My wife knew I always have milk with dinner but the other 6 people at the table didn't. When the waiter came back with my glass (poured in a wine glass) a couple of my new friends at the table said "we didn't know we could get milk". Long story short, by the second night 6 out of 8 of us had our milks ready when we sat down for dinner (lol). Just got a big kick out of it and always brings great memories of our first HAL cruise.

So, you may make some "milk buddy's" at your table:p

Have a great cruise!

John

After 42 cruises I have always ordered milk with dinner, never had anyone make a comment about it.

So request milk and enjoy your beverage of choice.

I have seen lots of adults order milk at dinner.

It's not embarrassing.

If the most "embarassing" thing you did at a dining table was order milk with your meal , I for one think you would make a delightful dinner companion:)

Being rude to wait staff, pompous behavior and looks of distain for your fellow passengers, now that's embarassing.

This is your cruise after all ,if a simple request such as this enhances your vacation, don't give it a second thought. Have the best time.

H:)ppy Sailing.

This thread reminded me of a lunch many years ago at the Tavern on the Green. I was noticably very pregnant with our oldest daughter (who is now 27). Milk, in great quantities was my beverage of choice. When my first glass arrived it was daintily served in a wine glass and I told the waiter it would not be nearly enough and just to keep 'em coming. Well, a couple of ladies at another table noticed how much I was 'imbibing" and couldn't help asking what I was drinking. I politely replied, milk. At which point one of the ladies, in a loud blaring voice, noticed by several other patrons, said, "I told you Agnes! She's out to here and you think she's drinking Pina Coladas!" So keep them guessing and keep drinking milk - it does a body good :D !

Milk is also my dinner beverage of choice! I request it at my first dinner in the dining room and indicate at the same time that I would appeciate having a glass at each meal. The assistant server brings a large glass of chilled milk to me each evening at dinner as soon as I sit down.

No, they will not laugh you right out of the place and it is not embarassing!

Milk is usually not out in the lido for lunch and dinner. You have to ask.

DD, an adult, has had mixed success requesting it at dinner in the dining room. If was iffy with fixed dining and we haven't gotten it either time we requested it with AWD dining. She's decided only to request milk in the lido.

True, milk is not displayed in the lido for lunch or dinner. Just ask a server and it will be obtained for you. For some reason(s), HAL, apparantly, does not think that people would enjoy milk for lunch and dinner in the lido as well as for breakfast, at which time it is prominently displayed! I have not had a problem obtaining milk in the dining room at dinner. Ask your server again.

Archived