Chair Hog photo....

matj2000

This is a great example of "Chair Hogs"... I took this at 8am and all the pool chairs were claimed. Only 2 people were out there. The one guy spent 3+ hours holding/fending off 9 chairs for people who finally showed at 1pm. Only to leave at 2pm

1501172279_MSCCruiseChairHogs.jpg.7858d6f141e95f548ce1ac19bef2bca2.jpg

click on it to enlarge photo.

whoa whoa whoa.. u mean to tell me that just putting a towel on a chair means its claimed.. lookin at that pic almost makes me think the cruise line nicly just set up all chairs w a towel for who ever sits there.. if all i see is a towel.. its gettin moved and my butt is sitin... now if there are some flip flops a book and a bottle of water.. thats a diff story. to me a towel means whoops i left w. out it oh well.. and PS if those are ship supplied towels dont u get charged if u loose urs.. in fact i think ill take ur towel too... if u really wanted that chair ur butt would be tanning in it.. ;):D:)

whoa whoa whoa.. U mean to tell me that just putting a towel on a chair means its claimed.. Lookin at that pic almost makes me think the cruise line nicly just set up all chairs w a towel for who ever sits there.. If all i see is a towel.. Its gettin moved and my butt is sitin... Now if there are some flip flops a book and a bottle of water.. Thats a diff story. To me a towel means whoops i left w. Out it oh well.. And ps if those are ship supplied towels dont u get charged if u loose urs.. In fact i think ill take ur towel too... If u really wanted that chair ur butt would be tanning in it.. ;):d:)

ditto!!;)

good thing i have never seen it like that or close,but if i ever do ,i will stand there without moving for(stubborn) 1 hour and if noone comes,off the stuff goes,grab the 2 chairs i need and put them where i find to be comfortable.Period and be #@#$#@ if anyone would tell me different after standing one hr for a chair.:eek:

I'm not one who wants or needs to be by the pool, so I don't care as much as the next person. But there is only one word for people doing this sort of activity....RUDE!

Hold one chair for your mate, but only if your butt is already in one.

We've always encountered chairhogs....which finally prompted me to pen this little ditty.

Princess posts a notice trying to curb chairhog activities....to no avail. :D

You may get up at the crack of dawn

and on your way to breakfast

you drop your property to secure your claim

to the choicest of poolside domain

Then, more often than not,

after a leisurely breakfast

you do what chairhogs do,

back to your cabin for a few more winks

or go ashore without bidding adieu!

Now some of you really take the cake

when you save chairs in sun AND shade

Obviously, an affliction you can't shake

Is your self-centeredness self-made?

Your towel, book, bag or flipflops

are there to save the chairs

with little regard for your fellow cruisers

or for the notices posted there

Well, times are a-changin'

Just letting you know

I'll occupy any spot

when I want a sun glow

You know who you are

You've been given fair warning

No conflict, no tiff,

no tantrum, no words

If you don't return within 30 minutes

The chair's a gift to me

I shan't disrespect your property

I'll kindly lay it aside

You may collect it

as you silently pass by.

good thing i have never seen it like that or close,but if i ever do ,i will stand there without moving for(stubborn) 1 hour and if noone comes,off the stuff goes,grab the 2 chairs i need and put them where i find to be comfortable.Period and be #@#$#@ if anyone would tell me different after standing one hr for a chair.:eek:

You DON"T have to "stand there"....My Dh will sit on a chair that is open but, "on call". If no one is there to claim their book, towel etc within 45 min., my Dh hands their items to a pool steward as "left items". When and if the hog returns, he directs them to the pool guys for their stuff. End of story. Once a hog asked why his stuff was removed, and my dh just told him to take it up with the ship staff. The rule is the chair must not be saved. That ended it.

This is a great example of "Chair Hogs"... I took this at 8am and all the pool chairs were claimed. Only 2 people were out there. The one guy spent 3+ hours holding/fending off 9 chairs for people who finally showed at 1pm. Only to leave at 2pm

[ATTACH]110053[/ATTACH]

click on it to enlarge photo.

As if putting the towel on the chair wasn't bad enough, someone actually cordoned off a whole section with cones and rope?!? Sheesh...the nerve of some people! ;)

As if putting the towel on the chair wasn't bad enough, someone actually cordoned off a whole section with cones and rope?!? Sheesh...the nerve of some people! ;)

The rope and cones are there to keep the people from bringing more chairs into that area and taking it over. You can't really see it, but there is a stage and they wanted to have room for the activities.

The rope and cones are there to keep the people from bringing more chairs into that area and taking it over. You can't really see it, but there is a stage and they wanted to have room for the activities.

I guess you didn't see my wink icon...I posted that tongue in cheek...I kind of figured that the chair hogs weren't actually cordoning off the area.

thats a pretty good example of what everyone talks about as far as chair hogging goes...it looks like many of those towels are rolled up nicely on the chair...does MSC do that at their pool decks? While its apparent that there's a pool chair hog issue there...it may not be as extreme as the pic leads it to be

I would never stand around for 1 hour waiting. I know what a used chair looks like and what a saved chair looks like. I plop down on a saved chair and enjoy myself.

I have never had a problem finding a decent chair and have never understood all the whining about chair hogs.

I guess I wouldn't stand a chance of getting a lounge chair on that ship as I usually don't get my butt out of bed until about 10:00 a.m. when on vacation. :D You think cruises have a lot of chair hogs, try staying at a resort full of Europeans. they are the masters of chair hogging. I swear they get up before sunset to claim chairs.

I got yelled at by a hog on our Med cruise. I just asked her to call the nearest staff member over to explain to her why you can't save chairs. (She had a daily newpaper under a towel (ships' towel) in her effort to save the chair)) She huffed off (didn't take her paper) to the laughter of the filled chairs. (She actually apologized later ..she thought once you chose a chair it was yours for the duration.) :rolleyes:

I was quite proud of the folks on the Norwegian Spirit the week of March 8th. There were very few chair hogs around. Just about every time I went to the pool area, there were available chairs. And this was even a spring break cruise with many college students. When I sailed on the Majesty a couple of years ago, it too was a spring break cruise. Then I never found an available chair then, but generally they were full of young bodies baking in the sun. Few if any chair hogs there.

I'd mail the photo to the cruise line offices with a very nice letter.

Once, while on Costa (never again) parents were using the hot tubs as a kiddie pool--diapers, toys, floats, etc. We took a picture which included the security guard standing watching and sent it to Costa. Got a nice letter back telling us they really don't want to argue with the passengers when the children are in the hot tub (I guess they're willing to argue with those who aren't in the hot tub;)). Anyway they offered us a discount on our next cruise, but we never used it.

I can see the point of wanting to be close to the pool if you have kids that you need to keep an eye on while in the water, but there are many who don't and sit there all day for hours on end. I get up early but to walk and watch the sun come up and have peace & quiet before the day starts. But I don't get up to save a chair. We take our chances and as long as we get 2 chairs for the 4 of us that's good enough for us. The kids are usually playing games, off doing something else, swimming etc. that they don't need a chair to themselves. Last time there was another family who came and there were 4 of them so we gave them 2 chairs that our kids didn't seem to care about so they had 2 and we had 2. The next day they did the same for us...people need to be friendly. If I didn't have kids I wouldn't sit near the pool but up and away from the pool where it was nice and quiet. But then again my daughter is 10, an excellent swimmer and I don't have to be on top of her. As long as we get 2 chairs next to each other in the sun that's all that matters to me. My kids will always know where to go and what time to be back at the chairs for lunch etc. -- their tummy's tell them...

I can see the point of wanting to be close to the pool if you have kids that you need to keep an eye on while in the water, but there are many who don't and sit there all day for hours on end. I get up early but to walk and watch the sun come up and have peace & quiet before the day starts. But I don't get up to save a chair. We take our chances and as long as we get 2 chairs for the 4 of us that's good enough for us. The kids are usually playing games, off doing something else, swimming etc. that they don't need a chair to themselves. Last time there was another family who came and there were 4 of them so we gave them 2 chairs that our kids didn't seem to care about so they had 2 and we had 2. The next day they did the same for us...people need to be friendly. If I didn't have kids I wouldn't sit near the pool but up and away from the pool where it was nice and quiet. But then again my daughter is 10, an excellent swimmer and I don't have to be on top of her. As long as we get 2 chairs next to each other in the sun that's all that matters to me. My kids will always know where to go and what time to be back at the chairs for lunch etc. -- their tummy's tell them...

Let me start by saying I completely agree that chair saving is rude and inconsiderate. And that the chairs away from the pool are probably quieter. But, I do have to take exception with your comments that the chairs by the pool should be for those with children so they can keep an eye on them, "but there are those that don't (have children I am assuming) and sit there for all day for hours on end." If someone wants to sit in a chair all day by the pool, why should they not be allowed to? Aren't the chairs for everyone on the ship? I think if I want to get up at sunrise and sit there until dinner, I should be able to - even though I don't have children.

Archived